Low Cal Desserts

Options
AESprouse
AESprouse Posts: 112 Member
I am looking for some low cal dessert options. I am a huuuge sweets lover but it always makes me go over my calories. So, I'd like something lower cal so that I can eat more of it. lol

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I am looking for some low cal dessert options. I am a huuuge sweets lover but it always makes me go over my calories. So, I'd like something lower cal so that I can eat more of it. lol

It's called portion control, you can eat any dessert you want, just control the portion size
  • dsmpunk
    dsmpunk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Fruit. Go to town :)
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not, a lot of desserts aren't really that high in calories. A serving of vanilla ice cream is only around 150 calories.
  • jasper186
    jasper186 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I like Chapman's frozen yogert - Dark chocolate - 1/2c only 90cals
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I'd rather eat 1/4 cup of real ice cream than a big fake bar of something else.
  • vara123
    vara123 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I agree on the portion control thing, and also making desserts in one-serve portions - so you aren't tempted to take too much.

Although, two great recipes I use:

1) Low fat chocolate mousse
    These are amazing for a chocolate fix - they are dark though, so on the bitter-sweet side (I leave out the cocoa powder and the coffee). You could use half milk chocolate and half dark, but obviously that would up the calories slightly from the delicious 167 cals in these little pots:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/473630/the-ultimate-makeover-chocolate-mousse

Sometimes I squidge the raspberries or defrosted frozen berries into the bottom of the wine glasses I make them in before layering on the mousse - looks nice on the table, and is a sweet treat at the bottom.

2) Low fat lemon pudding cakes

These lemon puddings are also amazing, and very lemony/zesty and light (150 cals each):

http://lowfatcooking.about.com/od/puddings/r/Light-Lemon-Pudding-Cakes.htm

These are both my 'go to' desserts if I am having people over for dinner and feel I should do a dessert but actually want to be able to enjoy it too.
  • phatnotfluffi
    Options
    sounds like you're looking for something more along the lines of guilt free... I've made these before and just stick leftover batter in the freezer :) these are ridiculously good.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/10/super-moist-low-fat-chocolate-cupcakes.html
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Unless you're doing low-fat, you could always whip up some cream (no sugar needed) and serve it with a ton of berries. It's very good and very filling.
  • mycrobemini
    mycrobemini Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    bump for dessert!
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Portion control saves the day. Or, if you're like me and you want ALL the dessert, just make sure your exercise burns cover it, and that you adjust other aspects of your day.

I have to have my after dinner desert. Have to. So, I make sure that the rest of my day falls in line so that I can have it, still fit my macros, and come in under goal.
  • horses7777
    horses7777 Posts: 165
    Options
    One I like a lot is to take a shortcake type shell (don't know what to call them, but they are round and about 60 calories). I get mine in the produce department, near the fresh fruit. Then I spray two tablespoons of whipped cream (15 calories for that) and top with as many sliced strawberries and blueberries as I want.

It is delicious and feels like a real dessert for about 100 calories, depending on the amount of fruit you use.
  • McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe makes excellent vanilla meringue cookies that are like 120 calories for 4 of them (they are fairly sizeable).
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Portion control saves the day. Or, if you're like me and you want ALL the dessert, just make sure your exercise burns cover it, and that you adjust other aspects of your day.

I have to have my after dinner desert. Have to. So, I make sure that the rest of my day falls in line so that I can have it, still fit my macros, and come in under goal.

^^This is the direction I follow
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    It's called portion control, you can eat any dessert you want, just control the portion size
    Yes.
    I'd rather eat 1/4 cup of real ice cream than a big fake bar of something else.
    And Yes.

I went through a crazy period of eating Peeps. It was after Easter, they were on sale. Don't judge me. They hit that crazy sugar craving for me.

One full sleeve of Peeps - that's FIVE chicks or rabbits - is only 140 calories. Five Peeps is enough to give me that sugar high and slight nausea I was craving. For only 140 calories. I could go to town and eat two sleeves for 280 calories and slip into sugar coma dreamland. Days I ate Peeps? Didn't go over.

I don't expect anyone sane to eat Peeps. They just aren't very rational. My point is that there are plenty of treats out there that don't have to push you over on your calories. Look at Girl Scout cookies: http://www.fitsugar.com/Calories-Girl-Scout-Cookies-1106800

I used to eat all that fake stuff, thinking I was making a "healthier" choice, and I either ended up simply eating more, or not enjoying the treat very much, or both.

I know it may sound crazy to some (it used to sound crazy to me), but a 1/2 cup serving of ice cream really isn't that small. It's enough to enjoy the ice cream. The good stuff.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Serves 6 at about 150 calories each:
    1/3 cup honey or agave nectar
    1 tablespoon balsamic or white wine vinegar
    2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
    1 sprig of thyme
    4 pluots (or mix it up with pears, nectarines, mango, whatever fruit you like)
    3 cups of frozen Greek yogurt -- I use Fage and I put it in the freezer about 10 minutes before I start making the desert; you can substitute with ice cream, but I prefer the yogurt flavor as the fruit and honey is obviously very sweet and with ice cream, it's too sweet for my liking.

Combine the first 4 ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat, once it's simmering, turn off the heat and remove the thyme sprig. Slice up the pluots and brush honey on cut sides. You can either grill or warm the fruit in a pan (I prefer grilled) until warmed through. Arrange slices on the yogurt and drizzle the honey over it.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Water. Sometime, frozen. Need it sweetened? Add splenda.
  • Catlady87
    Catlady87 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Chocolate covered Katie is a great site.
    There is a recipe on my blog from the guardian about a chocolate cake made from beans which is gorgeous and if made into 12 cupcakes is 130 calories each.
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    skinny cow products are usually less than 100 calories each

frozen yoghurt

fruit with plain, greek or flavoured yoghurt topped with a few meringue nests

malteasers are 185 per bag

crunchies are 180 per bar
  • morielia
    morielia Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Agree with portion control, but I love the recipes at Chocolate Covered Katie and The Gracious Pantry. Some good recipes from Clean Eating Magazine as well.
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Serves 6 at about 150 calories each:
    1/3 cup honey or agave nectar
    1 tablespoon balsamic or white wine vinegar
    2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
    1 sprig of thyme
    4 pluots (or mix it up with pears, nectarines, mango, whatever fruit you like)
    3 cups of frozen Greek yogurt -- I use Fage and I put it in the freezer about 10 minutes before I start making the desert; you can substitute with ice cream, but I prefer the yogurt flavor as the fruit and honey is obviously very sweet and with ice cream, it's too sweet for my liking.

Combine the first 4 ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat, once it's simmering, turn off the heat and remove the thyme sprig. Slice up the pluots and brush honey on cut sides. You can either grill or warm the fruit in a pan (I prefer grilled) until warmed through. Arrange slices on the yogurt and drizzle the honey over it.
    the hell is a pluot