Eating after 8 pm? Do you as I try not too?

Options
Hi ,
I was just wondering , not sure if I've read this or if I've made it up ! I try not to eat anything after 8pm. I don't like to think that the food is lying in my stomach before I go to bed ( usually around 10ish) .
I just wondered what other people's opinion was?

Replies

• iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't eat a minute after you go to sleep but any time before that is perfectly fine. Skip breakfast, eat at midnight, eat bacon if you like. Just make sure you're hitting your macros for the day (Carbs, protein, fat) and staying within your calorie goal. Nothing else really matters. Your body doesn't shut down when you sleep.

EDIT: Don't eat in the shower either. That makes your food soggy.
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I eat when I'm hungry.
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    I just make sure I'm within my calories for the day, no matter what time I eat.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I eat dinner almost every night at 8:30 or 9:00...hasn't hindered a thing. Meal timing is irrelevant. If I'm at a calorie deficit I'm at a deficit...if I'm at maintenance I'm at maintenance...

This is just an old wives tale. Yes, your metabolism may slow some during the evening, but the net effect of eating an appropriate number of calories makes that irrelevant.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I think you can eat after 8 as long as it's not carbs. They will make you fat.
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I think you can eat after 8 as long as it's not carbs. They will make you fat.

Nooo silly, they make Gremlins.

Or was that water?
  • casmock
    casmock Posts: 3
    Options
    I think the myth about eating late started because when you're tired, your decision-making isn't quite as sharp and we tend to make unhealthier decisions. If I do eat late (past 7:30 or 8), I make sure to eat clean so it is easily digestible. Chances of your sleep being wakeful or slow-to-fall-asleep may be more likely because your body is metabolizing and working through whatever fuel you just took in...it's not ready to sleep. Especially with spicy foods! Those keep my body working overtime.
  • Shawnzgirl78
    Shawnzgirl78 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I don't like to eat late either but if I am hungry, I will...
  • winchestervol63
    winchestervol63 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I don't care one way or the other, to tell the truth. My opinion is that, as long as your overall deficit/nutrition is right, and you're controlling your hunger in a good way, it won't matter much when you eat. I often have something after 8, especially if I feel like I'm low on calories (especially protein) for the day.

The only thing I try to be careful not to do is to eat 'treats' too early in the day. If I'm going to have ice cream or a candy bar, I'd rather have it later so that I don't have all day to decide I want just one (or five) more. Really, not having much problem with cravings now, but still sticking to that.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Personal preference. I can't go to sleep if I'm hungry, so I might have something light (slice of toast or an apple or a cup of greek yogurt) about an hour before bed. Sometimes that's eleven at night.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Your body doesn't know what time it is.
    I won't tell if you don't.
  • Tiff050709
    Tiff050709 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat after 6pm. I would snack a lot at night in the past and I am breaking that habit. If I am really hungry, I will eat fruit.
  • crlyxx
    crlyxx Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't eat a minute after you go to sleep but any time before that is perfectly fine.

I've never eaten while sleeping before. Teach me, oh wise one.
  • aberc
    aberc Posts: 98
    Options
    I'm a night owl, so I tend to be up until 11 or 12 at night. I have to eat dinner late, like around 8pm, otherwise I get hungry just before bed. If I eat a early dinner, I always save room for some calories to eat before bed because I know I get hungry. I dont really care what time it is. But with that being said, Im not going to eat a heavy, large meal before bed.. That's just upsetting to think about lol
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    Your body doesn't know what time it is.
    I won't tell if you don't.

Not true, my body definitely knows when it's time to... oh... eat. Never mind. Yeah, it doesn't matter. Although I try not to eat after 8 because if I do, it's usually garbage driven by my sweet-tooth.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't eat a minute after you go to sleep but any time before that is perfectly fine.

I've never eaten while sleeping before. Teach me, oh wise one.

Ambien
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    It's personal preference. No health benefits either way. I eat late because then I am less likely to snack and go over my cals.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    8:00 p.m. after often I eat
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    If I didn't allow myself to eat after 8:00 PM, I'd never get to eat.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,984 Member
    Options
    There is a group called "LNS fighters" you can join on mfp....LNS = "Late-Night-Snacking".

If it is your goal to NOT eat, past a certain time, this is a support group to help you meet that goal.