Eating after 8 pm? Do you as I try not too?

Options

Replies

• KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I love my bedtime snack (usually a low calorie ice cream bar or popsicle).
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I eat all the way up until I go to bed. Usually the last thing I eat is a piece of bread with peanut butter. I typically eat a later breakfast and this helps deal with hunger issues. It's a calories per day thing, so as long as you are under, it's effectively the same.
  • Brenda4105
    Brenda4105 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I agree with others on here that if you have the calories left....eat.

I did have a trainer, once a pon a time, that said never eat after 7pm - you will always make bad choices. I have found that can be true, but only if your starving and eat everything in site. A snack before you get to that point, keeps me from doing that.
  • Mimoki
    Mimoki Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I usually have dinner at 11pm lol. I don't go to sleep until about 4 a.m. Though but I just eat when I feel hungry, which is all the time. I definitely need to get more protein and fiber into my diet :(
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Meal Frequency has no bearing on weight loss... The only reason to not eat before bed is if you have a health condition (acid reflux) that would cause you problems... I take a 400 calories snack to bed with me every night and have lost a few pounds..... Best of Luck....
  • morielia
    morielia Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I eat dinner every night between 6 and 7 but don't go to sleep until 2-3. If I didn't eat after 8 pm, I'd probably keel over and die.
  • run_way
    run_way Posts: 220
    Options
    I don't worry about timing, but I fall asleep easier if I give myself at least an hour to digest before I go to bed.

I think the not eating after # O'Clock was started mainly because that's when the majority of people get their major snack urges.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Hi ,
    I was just wondering , not sure if I've read this or if I've made it up ! I try not to eat anything after 8pm. I don't like to think that the food is lying in my stomach before I go to bed ( usually around 10ish) .
    I just wondered what other people's opinion was?

I think you made it up. And I think you invented post-its too.
    6527089_std.jpg
  • sandy_gee
    sandy_gee Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Prsonally I do NOT eat after 7pm. It's not because of some diet idea or anything of the sort. I plan out my eating for the day, and have all my calories in before then, etc.
    My issue is that if I'm eating after 7pm is tends to be snacking. Popcorn, some chips, things that I don't need and am basically only eating because I'm bored.
  • BluePHX
    BluePHX Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I do. :) It doesn't seem to have any effect on my calorie loss, either. Sometimes I eat RIGHT before I go to bed because I work 4 10's and get pretty tired. No big D. I guess as long as you don't BINGE eat and then go to bed, it's probably alright.
  • BluePHX
    BluePHX Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I guess it couldn't hurt to make it a low carb snack or meal if you're hungry before bed either, to be on the safe side. Like fruit or a veggie omelet or some such thing.
  • mag2906
    mag2906 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't eat a minute after you go to sleep but any time before that is perfectly fine.

I've never eaten while sleeping before. Teach me, oh wise one.

Nocturnal Sleep-Related Eating Disorder - yes some people eat while sleeping!

(sorry for OT)
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't eat a minute after you go to sleep but any time before that is perfectly fine. Skip breakfast, eat at midnight, eat bacon if you like. Just make sure you're hitting your macros for the day (Carbs, protein, fat) and staying within your calorie goal. Nothing else really matters. Your body doesn't shut down when you sleep.

EDIT: Don't eat in the shower either. That makes your food soggy.

Best advice EVER.
  • ramalem
    ramalem Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    If I didn't allow myself to eat after 8:00 PM, I'd never get to eat.

Amen sister!
  • keepongoingnmw
    keepongoingnmw Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I struggled with late night eating for years, okay, often it was binging. I just don't eat after dinner. Its not an option, I am afraid if I do I will awaken the beast. I would rather go to bed hungry than end up binging and feeling like crap in the morning. If I am desperate I will drink some milk. If I eat a desert, it is within an hour after dinner and I consider it part of dinner.
    If you don't have problems with late night eating, then I don't see why not.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    i think u are right but i still do
    and still lose weight
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I finish work around 10pm every night. Last night I didn't get dinner till 8pm. I was still hungry when I got home so had a snack at 11 pm. Generally I have a glass of milk or something with fats and protein. Apparently it helps you sleep. I also make sure I have carbs with my dinner, to stop the cravings when I get home. I had a bad habit of eating too much near bedtime and not wanting breakfast. Not always a problem, but I do better with some kind of breakfast. I can not sleep if I am hungry.
  • siqiniq
    siqiniq Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    By 8:30 I am getting ready for bed, as I am often up before, and never later, than 5 AM. Dinnertime is around 7. I get home from work about 5:30, and by the time I walk to dog and make supper, it's 7 o'clock. Last night I was late getting home, and I had had an apple for a snack around 5:30. I find that an apple can keep me full for a long time, so I wasn't really hungry for dinner but made something anyway as I hadn't met my calorie intake for the day and didn't want to wake up hungry in the night. I'm glad that my dinner and bedtimes are close together, as I'm a compulsive eater and would be snacking all night otherwise, hungry or not. We compulsive eaters eat because the food is there. Anyway, this works for me.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I eat 2/3 of my calories between 7 & 9 pm. 1/2 after 8. Meal timing will not hamper your goals.
  • doIlhands
    doIlhands Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I eat after 8 all the time. I usually work til 9 most days and I have class 5-8 on the other days so I just wait to eat until I get home. I don't think it makes any difference for my weight loss.