Polite way to turn down dessert at your mother in laws.

Options

Replies

• stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    In the calorie allowance, not in the calorie allowance.... just eat the darn pie and enjoy it. Make your ma-in-law happy.

One piece of pie is not going to make you fat or stall your weight loss appreciably. Have 50 calories a day less for the rest of the week if you really feel the need to make amends.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Happy MIL >> eroding your calorie deficit a little for one day.

Have some priorities.
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    How about "that looks fantastic, but I'm so full that I can't eat another bite. Can I take a piece home for later?" Of course, not giving the honest response that you are on a new eating plan and are trying to cut back on sugar assures that you will continue to be offered dessert in the future. So the first suggestion will work short term, but not so much for the long term...

This is exactly what I would do.
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I'd just eat it :) ask for a small piece. One piece of pie once in a while dies not ruin a diet :)
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    In the calorie allowance, not in the calorie allowance.... just eat the darn pie and enjoy it. Make your ma-in-law happy.

One piece of pie is not going to make you fat or stall your weight loss appreciably. Have 50 calories a day less for the rest of the week if you really feel the need to make amends.

YES! I can't believe that people just say the can't eat it! Really? A few extra calories is not going to ruin your diet. A quite from Jillian Michaels

Jun 22, 2012 ·
    Here's a little skinny tip for you: DON'T DEPRIVE YOURSELF!
    Practice the 80/20 rule. Make 80% of your daily calorie allowance clean and healthy and then make 20% treat foods of your choice. One caveat: please avoid foods with chemicals and preservatives. So for example: have Green & Black organic chocolate bars instead of a snickers. Have pop chips instead of Baked Lays. Have Ciao Bella sorbet and frozen yogurt instead of Haggen Daz. Have a Newmans brand peanut butter cup instead of a Reeses. The difference is that the first products listed don't have trans fats, HFCS, artificial colors or flavors etc. Salt and sugar is ok in moderation, but avoid chemicals and frankenfoods in your diet whenever possible.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Say that you're cutting back on sugar.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    just eat the darn pie and enjoy it. Make your ma-in-law happy.

See, this just doesn't work for everybody. I have a hard time saying, "No." to my parents. In the beginning of my weight loss a week vacation with them would set me back a month. I've been at this for nearly a year and a half and I am just now getting to the point where I can slip in "No thank you"s and not completely ruin myself.

My take is, don't eat food to make other people happy. Your health and happiness shouldn't be something you're willing to sacrifice over something like food.

If you don't like blueberry pie, don't eat it. If you're diabetic and/or allergic to blueberry pie, don't eat it. If you love blueberry pie work it in your calories. If you're cutting blueberry pie out of your diet...who cuts blueberry pie out of their diet?!
  • moviewatcher
    Options
    eat one piece and enjoy it. or do the one course at each house method.
  • ebr250
    ebr250 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Don't bring the pie shells.
  • paprikas
    paprikas Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Food and family relationships are so complex. My late mil was a Holocaust survivor. Food equalled life and love whereas dieting equalled death and rejection.... so often its not just about food.....
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Ok I will be the odd man out here.... I would do like I always do and make room for it in my caloric intake. I would get to enjoy a slice of pie and my mother in law (god rest her soul) would have been happy. And I don't know about yours but my mother in law baked her pies from scratch with lard. No way I would passing up a slice of that and the good part is I would go home and the rest of the pie would have stayed at her place... Best of Luck....

THIS!!! :drinker:
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    Just say ' no thanks' and it usually works... if you find they're pie pressuring you just mention that your doctor said you had to watch your blood sugar and that usually shuts them up.
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I either say no thanks you know im dieting OR I eat very very sensibly so I can have the pie! :)
  • aNewYear123
    aNewYear123 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Sorry, if you come to my house for dinner you are going to be offered dessert, possibly twice.

"No thank you" works well. If she offers again "It look great, but dinner was so good now I am stuffed."
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    "Oh I'm so full and can't possibly eat another bite, thank you though". Is usually pretty sufficient for me.
  • TimeForMe99
    TimeForMe99 Posts: 309
    Options
    It would be kind to let her know in advance that you won't be partaking, unless this is a large party. Heaven forbid she makes a pie just for you and you don't touch it. You'd be hearing about it until the day she dies, and possibly after.

Me, I love fresh blueberry pie, with whipped cream. I'd make room but leave some of the crust so I'd feel virtuous.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Add me in to the chorus of go ahead and have some! Even if you can't get a little extra calorie burn in or skip a snack to make room in your allowance, it probably won't put you over more than a couple hundred calories and that shouldn't completely ruin your weight loss attempts if all else is going well.

I'm all about the 80/20 rule and non deprivation! Trying to live without the foods I enjoyed is what made me fail every previous diet attempt. Now I eat what I like and make it work for me. And as you can see by my ticker - it works just fine (for me, I get not everyone can handle the temptations or portion control).

And that whole dramatic storyline just made me exhausted! If you don't want it, just say "no thank you" No need to come up with an elaborate tale or ruse.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    'No thank you'.

If only that always worked. It is always such a "thing" when I turn down dessert, that I have begun saying I'm too full but I'll take it to go when I don't want dessert.. If I feel like having it later, I will. Otherwise I bring it to work and someone here will eat it.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    How's bout... (only if it's true of course)

"Mother, you are the best cook and baker in the world, and nobody makes a better blueberry (or pie) than you! Then give her a hug and kiss on her cheek or forehead and tell her you are on a mission to get even more handsome and in shape for her daughter...therefore you're gonna have to take a pass on the pie to help you in your mission of getting healthier. Then ask her, Instead of the pie, how's bout a kiss on the cheek instead--that's the non-fatting kinda "sugar" I'd prefer instead?

Ask your wife about this approach first though....

Yes?
  • kevinrbarger
    kevinrbarger Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    "I just ate way too much. There's no way I could do pie right now, but it smells/looks amazing!"