The next time you think YOU have it bad.........

Options

Replies

• NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    It's ok, We all have our own journey. You have yours and I have been through mine. These concepts are not foreign to me at all. I've been through them and come out to another place. I respect your beliefs and your life path. There is no reason we all need to agree. diversity is a nice things about life. And one thing I do know for sure in my own life is that actual real love has been what has been most healing for me in my adulthood. I'm not going to go into all the scenarios in which the things you are saying do not apply because I don't want to bring up horrible images of suffering. But, I have no right to tell someone that suffering was for their own good when they were born into horrendous circumstances.

That is perfectly said. Our journeys are our own and we have no right to tell anyone that they have to see it our way.:drinker:

I think of Frederick Douglass when you speak of being born into horrendous circumstances and if you've ever read his autobiography, you will know beyond a shadow of a doubt that he was indeed born into bitter and evil and hard slavery and worse. The spaces of these pages can not contain the people that were born into horrendous circumstances whose very lives were changed thru sufferings. It is written that Jesus Himself learned obedience thru His sufferings and if anyone has EVER suffered on this earth...it was Jesus. It is written of Jesus that God was PLEASED by His sufferings:

Hebrews 5:7 who, in the days of His flesh, when He had offered up prayers and supplications, with vehement cries and tears to Him who was able to save Him from death, and was heard because of His godly fear, 8 though He was a Son, yet He learned obedience by the things which He suffered. 9 And having been perfected, He became the author of eternal salvation to all who obey Him, 10 called by God as High Priest “according to the order of Melchizedek,” 11 of whom we have much to say, and hard to explain, since you have become dull of hearing.

So what am I saying...what is The Word of God saying to us? That suffering is not proof of God's lack of love. The problem is we don't know God, we don't understand life, time...we are a finite people trying to explain and understand a Infinite, All Wise, All Good, All Love God. Again, it is utterly useless to even attempt to explain to finite minds how a Perfect, Infinite, Holy, Awesome, Loving All Knowing, Only True and Living God operates. It is perfectly natural for us humans to do so and to understand, we must be Super-Natural and operate, think, believe on a totally unearthy, unnatural, way--which again, requires a close and personal relationship with God, which the greater majority of folk (much like the rich young ruler) simply are not willing to do nor follow.
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    What I don't understand is why people feel the need to bash someone's beliefs.

. . .

If you don't like the message of a thread, move on. It's that simple.
    No one's beliefs are being bashed. If your beliefs can't hold up to questioning, perhaps they're not suited to be posted on a public forum in which you will receive responses from EVERYone.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    My Atheist fiance once bought a bag of chips for a homeless man in the grocery store who was about to shoplift. Some god didn't do that. My fiance did, because he's a good person who didn't want to see a struggling man go to jail just for trying to feed himself.

Good on your fiance. (no sarcasm) Might I point out though, that just because someone doesn't believe in God doesn't make them impervious to God's promptings, or incapable of doing nice things for others. God always does his good works through other people. It'd be a little weird if he Himself came down and bought the hobo the chips. :p So He used your fiance, who clearly is a good person for listening to the prompting.
  • Willowana
    Willowana Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    What I don't understand is why people feel the need to bash someone's beliefs.

. . .

If you don't like the message of a thread, move on. It's that simple.
    No one's beliefs are being bashed. If your beliefs can't hold up to questioning, perhaps they're not suited to be posted on a public forum in which you will receive responses from EVERYone.

I don't mind being questioned. Your response alone is heated and defensive. That's what I'm questioning.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    I want to show the OP to a girl I know. she is ALWAYS bleating on facebook " why is life so hard" because she has to pay for childcare and bills, yet still has $$ to buy cigarettes and get drunk every weekend, plus deciding to buy a puppy from a backyard breeder ( I think because her friends got one, so did she ). oh and buying things for her bogan car . .

seriously makes me steam fly from my ears.

lovely story OP thanks for sharing !

I don't think it's gods will, just people being nice for a change.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    My Atheist fiance once bought a bag of chips for a homeless man in the grocery store who was about to shoplift. Some god didn't do that. My fiance did, because he's a good person who didn't want to see a struggling man go to jail just for trying to feed himself.

Good on your fiance. (no sarcasm) Might I point out though, that just because someone doesn't believe in God doesn't make them impervious to God's promptings, or incapable of doing nice things for others. God always does his good works through other people. It'd be a little weird if he Himself came down and bought the hobo the chips. :p So He used your fiance, who clearly is a good person for listening to the prompting.

Please tell me you're trolling. You're doing an excellent job.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    Options

Yep. I'm trolling. Because someone who believes in God and his power to positively influence others HAS to be trying to stir up trouble. *cracks up* You're funny! :laugh:
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    This god **** pisses me off. This story is the example of how and why I am unable to wrap my head around a god in the first place.

:flowerforyou: :love: :flowerforyou:

I got news for you friend...I'm not with the first sentence at all...but your second sentence--honey I'm with you 1000%.

"This story is the example of how and why I am unable to wrap my head around a god in the first place. "

I will EVER be this with The Lord. I think the only difference between us is instead of getting my angry for my lack of understanding of God, His Way, Truth and Life, I'm humbled and in Awe and Worship Him because of my utter and complete ignorance/lack of knowledge and choose to believe that He Is and a Rewarder of them that DILIGENTLY seek Him (as His Word says) and purposely choose to DAILY humble myself, pray, Seek His Face and turn from my wicked/twisted ways and lo and behold He Meets with Me and Teaches me His Ways, as much as my dullness and ignorance can grasp and what I can't I joyfully receive, trust and believe by His Faith and Grace/Power that He so patiently and lovingly bestows on me daily.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    'Kay, anyone else completely turned off by the wall-o-text preaching yet?

This isn't church, nor is it a place of atheists to spout their smug self-assurances. Let's all just get along and respect one another.

Well, I stumbled in here by accident (as often happens with the forums for me), but some people are just having a conversation. It wasn't a conversation I wanted to have, so I left it.
  • FitGuyWillDoIt
    FitGuyWillDoIt Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I think about things like this when it seems the chips are down. It puts things in perspective. Also, very nice that you made the effort to help that woman. We're all in this together and it's good when we help each other.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Not sure i get what god has to do with the lady being unable to easily afford her groceries.

This thread confuses me.

I'll break it down for you. The gist of this thread is this: Smile - because there are plenty of people who have more problems than you do. Thank God you're not one of them.

That's what goes through my head when I hear someone say, "Don't sweat your problems, other people have it worse" - and it always irks me.

If things like this move a person, then perhaps the thing to do is to offer service to those who are in need rather than to sit around thinking that the annoyances and problems in one's life can't be all that bad compared to others. The thing that staggers one person may not be as difficult for someone else to deal with - so instead of comparing the size of one's problems, offer what you can and accept what you need.
  • marinegirl92
    marinegirl92 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    OP thanks for sharing that nice heartfelt post - perspective, empathy and compassion for one another goes a long way. :flowerforyou:
  • PepperWorm
    Options

Yep. I'm trolling. Because someone who believes in God and his power to positively influence others HAS to be trying to stir up trouble. *cracks up* You're funny! :laugh:

Not everyone believes in what you do. Nobody says such inflammatory statements and just doesn't expect getting a negative response. You proved my point right there.

Also, I thought that if there was a god, he created us as autonomous beings. We are not robots being programmed nor are we proverbial Matrix cells. This isn't Ghost in the Shell.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    It's ok, We all have our own journey. You have yours and I have been through mine. These concepts are not foreign to me at all. I've been through them and come out to different place. I respect your beliefs and your life path. There is no reason we all need to agree. Diversity is a nice thing about life. And one thing I do know for sure in my own life is that actual real love has been what has been most healing for me in my adulthood. I'm not going to go into all the scenarios in which the things you are saying do not apply because I don't want to bring up horrible images of suffering. But, I have no right to tell someone that suffering was for their own good when they were born into horrendous circumstances.

I agree with this 1000% and thank you for putting it so pleasantly and nicely...you ROCK!:heart::flowerforyou: :heart:
    I think the only difference is, when someone asks about God, and I am Led of The Holy Spirit to share my limited knowledge of Him, I do. Not judging anyone, hoping not to be judged (but won't be offended if I am), just sharing what others are asking to the best of my poor abilities.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    Options

This isn't church, nor is it a place of atheists to spout their smug self-assurances. Let's all just get along and respect one another.

Well, I stumbled in here by accident (as often happens with the forums for me), but some people are just having a conversation. It wasn't a conversation I wanted to have, so I left it.

You're just about the only one behaving appropriately here, then. :) What with the over-preaching and snide atheists and people accusing others of "trolling" (not sure that person really knows what the word means, anyway) for sharing an insight, I think I've had about enough of this, too.

Great post, OP. What a great way to remind us to love the little things in life and see things in the proper perspective.

And to all the troublemakers, well, *drops pants and bends over*. I'm out.
  • PepperWorm
    Options

But you just...
    And this post...
    And...

:noway:
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Isn't being grateful for what you have and knowing that somewhere out there somebody has it worse than you lessons that transcends religion?

If you don't want to turn this into a religious debate -- then why mention god or religion? Because you want to ramble off your beliefs in a public space and not be questioned? You are automatically going to offend a lot of decent people out there who are perfectly moral and humble without religion by doing what you did.

Religion is a divisive topic -- those are prohibited. The story would have been equally compelling without the religion.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Not sure i get what god has to do with the lady being unable to easily afford her groceries.

Was totally thinking the same thing. This would have been a great post if she hadn't prodded he religious views into it.
  • PepperWorm
    Options
    Isn't being grateful for what you have and knowing that somewhere out there somebody has it worse than you are lesson that transcends religion?

If you don't want to turn this into a religious debate -- then why mention god or religion? Because you want to ramble off your beliefs in a public space and not be questioned? You are automatically going to offend a lot of decent people out there who are perfectly moral and humble without religion by doing what you did.

Religion is a divisive topic -- those are prohibited. The story would have been equally compelling without the religion.

THANK YOU.
  • ChristiSykes
    ChristiSykes Posts: 186 Member
    Options

It's the grace of God that lets us live to see each new day & to breathe each breath. Grace is God giving us what we don't deserve. None of us deserve our next meal, but He has mercy on us because He loves us. He desires to have a relationship with each and every person on earth. He gives us a free will and the majority of people choose to not believe or trust Him. And because we choose not to trust Him, our Great God gives us our way and once we've rejected Him we may never have another chance to accept what He did for us.
    If we all realized how undeserving we really are and swallow our pride, then we'd all be happier and more thankful.
This discussion has been closed.