staying in 1200 cals who else finds this difficult?

Options
Hey guys,

I'm prob being a big baby but I'm finding this 1200cal limit rather difficult?

I'm trying to get work outs to fit in between my 9am-7pm daily working pattern? I'm in an office based, customer service and sales role so- I need to have good concentration and a positive attitude, so being hungry doesn't help!

Anyone else suffer like this? Sorry to whinge! xoxoxox

Replies

• janetsalley
    janetsalley Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Hi, staying at 1200 cals doesn't usually give you the results you want. At the rate, if you are sucessful you will probably lose weight (if you lose weight) and not fat. I don't know your measurements, but you probably should up your cals and you WILL LOSE WEIGHT successfuly without being hungry. Just my opinion, I'm no expert...but I'm quite sure the experts will be weighing in soon and they're going to let you have it about the 1200 cals lol!!
  • Pardyqueenxoxo
    Pardyqueenxoxo Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    im 160lb........x x x x
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    You most likely don't need to be eating that little to see results.

Check out this, long, but definitely worth the read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/937712-in-place-of-a-road-map-ver-3-0

Short and sweet, calculate your TDEE, subtract 10-20%, eat that amount as your TOTAL calories, not NET. To increase the benefits of weightloss and for supplementing body composition changes, eat adequate protein, lift heavy and move fast a few times a week.
  • kkaci5
    kkaci5 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Staying at 1200 calories SHOULD be difficult. It's less than your basal metabolic rate.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

My basal metabolic rate is 1499. Plus, I eat any exercise calories back.

Change your weight loss goals to 1 lb a week, to start :-).
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    im 160lb........x x x x
    Your BMR is over 1,500 calories ... do NOT eat 1,200 calories a day, please. Eat somewhere between your BMR and TDEE. If you want to lose weight faster, don't eat back all your exercise calories.
  • LindsayLL30
    LindsayLL30 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Yes mine is set at 1200... but I aim for 13-1400... I dont find 1200 to be enough at all! And I am still getting decent results :)
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat that little to lose weight. You likely have your goal set for to fast of weight lose and possibly have your activity level inaccurete. Your Base metabolic rate is for sure above 1200 calories.

What is your height, age, weight and what kind of working out do you do?
  • allikat93
    allikat93 Posts: 236
    Options
    I average 800 every 12 hrs (I have a odd sleep schedule so I have two days in one day.. Its weird.. Im up all night and part of the day.. Then up all day and night.. Then up all day and part of the night. Rinse and repeat....) Sometimes I eat just to get to my caloric goal so my body doesnt feel deprived and continues to lose.
  • mary_elizabeth28
    Options
    I struggle eating 1200 too (I'm 5ft 4 and 147lb) - I try and exercise every day so I can have more.
  • Pardyqueenxoxo
    Options
    You don't have to eat that little to lose weight. You likely have your goal set for to fast of weight lose and possibly have your activity level inaccurete. Your Base metabolic rate is for sure above 1200 calories.

I'm 26, 160lb and i used to run but i broke my ankle in Jan, its not quite right in terms of healed even though cast is off...so its mainly sit ups, upper body workouts or exercise bike. x x
  • phumzilesiboza7
    phumzilesiboza7 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    hi there, i was also given that net calorie goal, i am finding that i eat generally about 1500 cals but because my workout routine is a two hour session from 5 to 7 in the morning, i usually have excercised between 700 and 850 cals worth so my problem is even with eating 1500 i still need to give my body 650 to be at my net goal and i often dont feel hungry! am i also starvinhg my body?
  • nekoxvampyx
    nekoxvampyx Posts: 163
    Options
    i eat 1650 and more when i work out. 1200 is basically starving ur self.
  • jdad1
    Options

I'm 26, 160lb and i used to run but i broke my ankle in Jan, its not quite right in terms of healed even though cast is off...so its mainly sit ups, upper body workouts or exercise bike. x x

I need your height
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    At 26, 160lb and (I've estimated your height at 5'6") a mostly sedentary desk job with no exercise, your maintenance calories are around 1800ish.

If you actually do any exercise, then your maintenance will be higher.

A sensible figure for sustainable weightloss based on these figures (which admittedly I estimated.....) would be maintenance - 20%. I figure you could sustainably lose on 1450ish WITHOUT exercise.

If you do any form of exercise, you could up that a bit. Depends on what you do, how often. But without more info, it's all guesswork I'm afraid....
  • DawnInVa
    DawnInVa Posts: 3
    Options
    The nutrients at my doctor’s office, has me on a 1400 calorie per day diet. She said less than 1400, and the body believes it’s being starved and slow up your metabolism, which means the weight will not come off. Maybe bump up your calorie intake by 200 calories, and see if it’s a little easier.

I haven’t had too much trouble, but my problem is watching my sodium intake (high blood pressure here) and fat intake. One thing I do that has been helpful to me, is cutting up a bunch of my favorite raw veggies twice a week, make up some homemade or semi-homemade Greek yogurt dip, and cook a few chicken breasts. This has been my easy go-to snack or meal for those days I don’t have the opportunity to eat properly. For me, these are filling, satisfying choices. Most of my calories come from lean protein and vegetables. I’m in my 50’s, so this will have to be a lifestyle change for me; which I’m ok with since the a lot of what I loved as a younger woman no longer appeals to me. Except for pizza, which I still love and enjoy ONE slice now and then.

Good luck and hang in there! You’ll get there. :)
  • jdad1
    Options
    hi there, i was also given that net calorie goal, i am finding that i eat generally about 1500 cals but because my workout routine is a two hour session from 5 to 7 in the morning, i usually have excercised between 700 and 850 cals worth so my problem is even with eating 1500 i still need to give my body 650 to be at my net goal and i often dont feel hungry! am i also starvinhg my body?

Calculate your BMR and make sure you are staying above that and then NO you are not starving yourself.
  • Pardyqueenxoxo
    Options

I need your height

5'6
  • ozigal
    ozigal Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I stay at 1200 and I dont find it difficult anymore. I admit I did at the start.

It depends what you eat. Lots of fruit, veg and salads for a starter. A bit of meat... not a lot. No added oil, sugar, salad dressings etc. Instead of salad dressings I will have beetroot with a small steak or chicken breast and lots of salad.

Black coffee and lots and lots of water.

You become very aware of wasting calories.

I started at 242lbs and am now down to 179lbs. I walk 5 miles a day (takes about 90 minutes all up and can be incorporated into your normal day as long as you use a pedometer). I run every second day.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

I need your height

5'6

Wow, good guess!

Then with workouts 1-3 times a week, your activity level puts your maintenance at about 2100ish, meaning you could lose sensibly and sustainably on about 1690-1700ish
  • Springfield_Rocks
    Options
    You most likely don't need to be eating that little to see results.

Check out this, long, but definitely worth the read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/937712-in-place-of-a-road-map-ver-3-0

Short and sweet, calculate your TDEE, subtract 10-20%, eat that amount as your TOTAL calories, not NET. To increase the benefits of weightloss and for supplementing body composition changes, eat adequate protein, lift heavy and move fast a few times a week.

was going to post the same thing.

join the "in place of a road map" group, and READ everything you can. these people know their stuff. do the calculations or get someone there to help you... and enjoy success!

best wishes! :flowerforyou: