Talk me down

Options
Very disheartened and frustrated right now

I've been stuck for 2 months, not lost a pound

I've tried eating a little more, eating a little less, I'm still in the gym on the threadmill 5-6 days a week

While I will say I "feel" better than 70+ pounds ago, it is very hard to do all the right things, watch, what and how much you eat, go to the gym regularly and not see a single pound come off

:bummed out:

Replies

• quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I've been stuck for two months myself. It is mad frustrating but there is nothing else to do but keep doing the right things. What's the alternative? Give up and six months from now have even more weight to lose? I do not want to have to ask myself "If I hadn't given up, where would I be NOW?"

Patience is the best council. You are doing the right things. That puts you in the win column.
  • bunnymum150
    bunnymum150 Posts: 311
    Options
    2 months is quite some time to be "stuck". You must be close to your goal weight! so good for you!

Please try to focus on how far you have come, your accomplishments, knowing that you are so much more healthy than before and have greatly reduced your risk for heart issues, diabetes, hypertension, hyperlipidemia - the list goes on and on my friend!

If I may share a quote I found the other day on MFP with out minimizing your struggle

"don't wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain"

or as is the case out my window - learn to swim or grab a floaty:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

cheers
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Eat a lot less. You're eating 2500+ calories on days you don't work out.

Do you work? What kind of job do you have?

What is your height, weight, and age?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Have you taken any diet breaks or have you been eating at a deficit the whole time?

Do you use a food scale to weigh everything you eat?
  • jmparis65
    jmparis65 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    MY net calorie intake is in the 1800 range

I'm 5' 8"' 192, 47 y/o Production Manager up and down all day

I do have food scale, I measure and weigh everything I can

I've been at deficit the entire time.

I started out at 1200 calories, worked right until this plateau, since I have been stuck, so I've been trying the TDEE
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Try cutting down to 1700 calories and stick to it rather than being "around" that range.

That said, if you need constant weight loss for motivation, then find exercise that you enjoy or learn to enjoy the way you feel rather than staying constantly focused on the scale.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    MY net calorie intake is in the 1800 range

I'm 5' 8"' 192, 47 y/o Production Manager up and down all day

I do have food scale, I measure and weigh everything I can

I've been at deficit the entire time.

I started out at 1200 calories, worked right until this plateau, since I have been stuck, so I've been trying the TDEE

1800? So you think you're burning 700+ calories a day just walking around at work?

I'd suggest you drop your calorie goal by at least 500.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I'd consider trying the full diet break, especially since you started out with your calories so low. Read more here:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html

Edit: I also think if you've been stuck for two months you're likely overeating/overestimating calorie burn. But since you seem so frustrated I'd try taking a break first.
  • rabies
    rabies Posts: 62
    Options
    Your diary says you're going for 2.5k-3k kcal/day? That is A LOT. Start by cutting that down by 500kcal/day and see what happens.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    If you are using the TDEE method, you need to figure out your TDEE - 20% and eat that every day, whether you work out or not. Make sure you are figuring it correctly, based on your actual activity level. You need to be sure you are above your BMR. It can take a couple of months for your body to reset, so just hang in there.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure of your workout routine but from what you mentioned you do treadmill quite often...I can only suggest you start mixing up your exercises, as your body tends to adapt quite quickly.

Kudos on the progress so far.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    BMR is around 1830 or so. Here's what I'd specifically recommend:

Set your calorie goal to 1750. Add back actual exercise calories, but more conservatively than you're doing. Walking 3.5 mph at an incline isn't burning 600+ calories. Probably more on the order of 300-350.

Hit your calorie goal every day. Your calorie intake is all over the place and I can't see any rhyme or reason to it. Some days you're under by 1000+ some days you're over by hundreds. Your calorie goal seems to have nothing whatsoever to do with your actual intake.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    On face value it looks like you are eating too much but your daily totals are all over the place.
    You are eating way more than I did when I was losing weight. (I'm 5'9")

Are you eating back exercise calories ("the MFP way") or TDEE minus a cut?
  • dutchman24
    dutchman24 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I do know that as you approach your goal weight, the weight comes off slower. I'm in that area now. My suggestion would be as some of the others...drop your calorie intake by at least a couple of hundred...at least to start.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    BMR is around 1830 or so. Here's what I'd specifically recommend:

Set your calorie goal to 1750. Add back actual exercise calories, but more conservatively than you're doing. Walking 3.5 mph at an incline isn't burning 600+ calories. Probably more on the order of 300-350.

Hit your calorie goal every day. Your calorie intake is all over the place and I can't see any rhyme or reason to it. Some days you're under by 1000+ some days you're over by hundreds. Your calorie goal seems to have nothing whatsoever to do with your actual intake.
    nail on the head about logging.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I agree with most everyone here. I would definitely try cutting your calories back by 300-500 daily. That outta help.
    also if all you have ever done is walk on the treadmill, mix up your cardio and work outs a little by adding new stuff. that may stimulate your body and help out with losing more weight.
  • lovemitch125
    lovemitch125 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Use the zig zag method!!! Helps break plateaus, and worked for me :)

Say your average cals a day should be about 1500, which I would say would be best for you. (I'm no expert though)
    Well instead of eating 1500 cals a day, every day, spread it out so you come to an AVERAGE of 1500 cals a day over a week span.

For example, I have an average of about 1450 a day.
    Monday 1200
    Tuesday 1650
    Wednesday 1350
    Thursday 1700
    Friday 1250
    Saturday 1450
    Sunday 1550

In this way, your body won't become too accustomed to eating so little everyday and think it is your norm that you will be doing forever and you are still netting a low amount over a week's time. Try it out! (I made up those numbers, but theres a site online that will do it for you)
  • jmparis65
    jmparis65 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thanks all.

Looks like the bit "freedom" I thought I'd have as I opened up my calorie intake a bit has caused more problems than it solved.

Time to get back into being far more consistent about it
  • lovemitch125
    lovemitch125 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Also, 2,500 calories a day may have helped you lose weight when you were heavier, but now that you are 70 lbs lighter, this will not help you lose. You have to reevaluate when you've lost a sufficient amount. You probably can only maintain at 2,200 at this point or so, with exercise of course. So, I suggest you lower to in the one-thousands range.

Also, agreed. Mix up your cardio, also I found it helpful to lessen my cardio as I got closer to my goal and add in abs, weights and benching. (Weights and benching helps you burns cals all day, while cardio only helps you burn as you workout) After a while, it starts to make a difference :bigsmile:
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    You may want to look at the exercise calories and see if they are realistic and instead of cardio work in some resistance training.