Will squats make my thighs bigger?

Options

Replies

• toomuchbootyindapants
    toomuchbootyindapants Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what you like. If you want to look strong as the OP does, then squats are ok, but if you're more into the lean long look, then avoid them and go running.

What exactly should *I* do to have "lean, long" legs? I'm 5'5"...my legs aren't going to get any longer. My muscles aren't going to elongate. LOL Next thing you know she'll be telling me to do pilates or something. heh
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what you like. If you want to look strong as the OP does, then squats are ok, but if you're more into the lean long look, then avoid them and go running.

/facedesk

I've been running for several years and I can assure you my legs are no longer
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options

What exactly should *I* do to have "lean, long" legs? I'm 5'5"...my legs aren't going to get any longer. My muscles aren't going to elongate. LOL Next thing you know she'll be telling me to do pilates or something. heh

Nah, you need to get one of those things that let you hang upside down from your feet to stretch you out and make you taller, then you can be LONNNNNGGGGG AND LEEEEEEAAAAAAAN. Not strong. No one wants that.
  • rachietuk
    rachietuk Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I want legs like yours. Hopefully one day it will happen. I love squats!!!!
  • xMallie
    xMallie Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    High heel shopping anyone?
  • jonesin_am
    jonesin_am Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't care how big or small my legs get as long as they're strong like tree trunks and the jiggle wiggle is gone! I used to want the thigh gap...but have learned better from all you heavy lifters :) Now lets squat!
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options

I've been running for over a year. When will this "lean long look" start to emerge?
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    YES!! Thank you and congrats on awesome progress! I am one of those pears who has always always always had fat flabby thighs and thought cardio would be the only way to get rid of 'em. Love squats, love deadlifts, hate lunges and step ups but I do 'em!
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

so what you're saying is, you don't want to retain LBM?
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options

WRONG. Running and squats should not be mutually exclusive things. Running requires strong legs if you want to avoid injury, and the best way to get strong legs? That's right, SQUAT. Check this out:

"Female runners have been shown to be six to ten times more likely to get injured running. I pride myself on being one of the few endurance athletes I know who hasn't had a chronic injury (knock on wood). I absolutely attribute this to the fact that I came to endurance training after years of strength training.

I started endurance training as a strong, balanced athlete that was ready for advanced exercise. I've worked hard to get myself fit enough to run. I've also continued to use strength training as part of my program. This, along with flexibility work, regular foam rolling, and proper progression are my secrets to keeping my body strong and injury-free."

--Rachel Cosgrove, No Business Running! Why Running Is More Advanced Than You Think
    http://members.rachelcosgrove.com/public/180.cfm
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options

tumblr_mbkwkePE0T1ql5yr7o1_400.gif
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options

I've been running for over a year. When will this "lean long look" start to emerge?

I have been running for YEARS trying to get a long, lean look...unfortunately I have been told that I won't look longer until I can grow taller :sad:

I stop growing when I was 12 and have been 5 foot 4 since then. Somebody tell me how I can grow taller!!
  • Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    OP, you look great! As a "bottom heavy" girl I am loving the pictures. My bottom half takes so much longer to transform. I hate leg workouts...lol...but I love the results they give! Squats for all! :drinker:
  • casy84
    casy84 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Troll all you want, but bulky leggs will in fact look shorter.
  • divemunkey
    divemunkey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I don't give a damn if I look 4 inches shorter, strong legs are the bomb!
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options

Glad you finally just came out and said it... bulky... lolololololololololol
  • toomuchbootyindapants
    toomuchbootyindapants Posts: 811 Member
    Options

Who's trolling?

Are my legs bulky now? Really? LMBO....wow....sorry honey, they're just short. Period.
    legsba.jpg
  • GracefulDancer4Christ
    GracefulDancer4Christ Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I completely agree since doing 30 day shred and squatting my thighs went from 30 inches down to 28 1/4. working its way down.
  • cschiff
    cschiff Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    awesome post!!! sometimes i forget to focus on my lower body and seeing your post reminded me to WORK THESE THIGHS.
    you look awesome-- fantastic work :)
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    HOT LEGS! Graet job...love me some squats too!