Will squats make my thighs bigger?

Options

Replies

• da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Troll all you want, but bulky leggs will in fact look shorter.

Andrea-Ager-CrossFit-Games-2011-242x300.jpg

do her legs look short?
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Not answering to the in informed girls. Just wanted to tell you good job. Squatting made me like my legs a lot more.
  • jdaley90
    jdaley90 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    LOVE THIS!!! I squat and DL HEAVY and they have only made my legs sexier and less flabby!!! I'll argue with any woman who disagrees!
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options

do her legs look short?

YES! Andrea Ager... lady crush. So hard. Gonna look like that some day... before I die.
  • karrielynn80
    karrielynn80 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I can't say i agree 100% - first off tho, your legs look great!

... now (am i'm sure there shall be some haters) i disagree b/c you legs did get bigger (in some areas) and smaller / leaner (in other areas). . . looking at the section directly above your knee, your quads are much bigger that in the left picture - while your thighs are leaner in the right than in the left.

Most woman that complain about their "legs getting bigger" due to one reason - their pants start to fit differently. This can happen due to leg swell (if your noticing it directly after a workout) or due to muscle "recomposition". And while most people would suggest (at least this is the suggestions i got when i started noticing this, "way back when" lol): buy new pants, don't shop in the jrs dept, don't workout to fit into your current cloths, build your wordrobe around your new body - and these are all very good points (jr pants aren't made for woman legs lol)... there are also muscle building techniques that can help as well.

there are ways to elongate muscle, instead of bulking muscle (weight / rep range combos, different resistant / impact levels, amt of work on a particular muscle group, etc). And these are definately ideas someone should look it to.

Of course, it also depends upon you body type, current muscle foundation, and amt of time/ dedication to certain muscle groups. someone w/ a even distribution of muscle but a good amt of fat wouldn't have to worry about this so much b/c once all the fat leans out, [ideally] they body will be propotionate; however someone who has developed more muscle in one area than another would want to workout with this in mind, if balance is of importance to them - but a lot of this can't be determined until you DO get to lower bf & see what your working with - that's why i feel body recomp is a continual process...

ps. i hope this doesn't come across as argumentative - i was more trying to point out that in some cases they can make your legs bigger, depending upon your method - in most cases however, the person is probably just gaining muscle quicker than loosing fat, thus they are seeing a gain in size, but once they start to lean out they'll see that reflected in an inch drop again. (also measuring directly after working out is not wise lol)
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    no but OMG will they make them hurt lol I am still in pain from Monday I think i started wayto heavy though 75 pounds might have been a bit much. I didnt relize the bars are weighted too until a person at work saw me squating that and asked how long I had been lifting when I told him that was my first time he seemed taken aback so yeah bad idea lol
  • toomuchbootyindapants
    toomuchbootyindapants Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Interesting that you say my legs got bigger - they actually got smaller in measurement...quite a bit. That quad is just more defined/noticeable since there is less fat popping over it. *smh*

Also, I might add - not everyone wants to lift as heavy as I want to....I can squat 205# (maybe more, this was last check)...and I want to squat MORE than that so I will continue to add weight and get stronger. I hope my body fat continues to go away and all that is left is rock solid legs!
  • meeper123
    Options
    Interesting that you say my legs got bigger - they actually got smaller in measurement...quite a bit. That quad is just more defined/noticeable since there is less fat popping over it. *smh*

Your looking smaller to me less flabby as well :)
  • nessagrace22
    nessagrace22 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Ignoring the science, the yays versus nays, the weights versus cardio. All I want to say is your legs look amazing. Bravo and congrats on your hard work.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what you like. If you want to look strong as the OP does, then squats are ok, but if you're more into the lean long look, then avoid them and go running.

I've been running for over a year. When will this "lean long look" start to emerge?

^^^this. I can't wait to see how running makes my legs look longer. WTF. Running hasn't even improved the shape of my legs - period. They got smaller, but not better.
  • meeper123
    Options
    It really depends on what you like. If you want to look strong as the OP does, then squats are ok, but if you're more into the lean long look, then avoid them and go running.

I've been running for over a year. When will this "lean long look" start to emerge?

^^^this. I can't wait to see how running makes my legs look longer. WTF. Running hasn't even improved the shape of my legs - period. They got smaller, but not better.

I agree same here and I hadnt even lost that much weight til I started mixing it up a bit
  • Sheila_KI
    Sheila_KI Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting......exactly what needed today.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    Your legs are great Jen. My legs are pretty small now but all I can see is fat, still no muscle definition. I'm around 23-24% BF now I think (tested at 25% a few weeks and lbs ago) and hopefully eventually will stop cutting and maybe build some quad definition lol.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options

Her legs look smaller to me.

Just her body composition improved.

Well done OP.

10/10 would bang. :flowerforyou: :smokin:
  • gadenni34
    gadenni34 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    your legs are gorgeous!

thank you for the post. I know that lifting has made my legs look much much better. I sit sometimes and flex just to see what I have accomplished....LOVE what all those moves have done for my legs!
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options

We get it, you want weak scrawny legs....
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

do her legs look short?

YES! Andrea Ager... lady crush. So hard. Gonna look like that some day... before I die.

I'm right there with the lady crush, between her and this girl...

Camille LeBlanc-Bazinet

Camille-Leblanc-Bazinet-19.jpg
  • jpolinisse
    jpolinisse Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Depends on how your body responds to exercise and what you want to look like. Not every woman wants heavily muscled thighs.

Agreed
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

I don't think you understand what "troll" means. Or bulky, for that matter.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    :heart: