Craving Mexican Food, Recipes Required!

Options

Replies

• kcook323
    kcook323 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I got this one when I did the Weight Watcher's Core program (years, and years, ago, ;) ). I made it again this past week. I love it as a side dish, but today for lunch, I added Tyson's grilled chicken strips and ate it as a main meal. My family isn't big on rice, so I don't make this as often as I like.

Mexican Rice
    Serving Size : 6

1 teaspoon salt
    1 clove garlic -- minced
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    1 cup uncooked brown rice -- NOT INSTANT
    2 cups fat-free chicken broth
    1 can Ro-tel tomatoes (diced tomatoes and green chilies)
    1/2 cup chopped bell pepper or chopped red pepper
    1/2 cup chopped onion

Heat oil. Add rice and cook until golden and toasted. Add and lightly saute onion, bell pepper, and garlic.

Put salt, 1/2 cup of tomatoes (undrained) and broth in a blender. Process till smooth.

Add liquid from blender to the rice mixture slowly. You can drain the rest of the tomatoes and add them to the rice at this point if you want extra tomato.

Bring to a boil, cover, turn heat to low, and simmer until rice is tender, about 1 hour. (Or however long brown rice needs to simmer - my package says 1 hour.)

Don't remove the lid during the cooking process.

If you don't have fresh garlic, you can add 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder to the blender.
  • luticiaf
    luticiaf Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I was being lazy. Here's a link!

http://www.muscleandfitnesshers.com/recipes/chile-rellenos

mmmmmm trying this!!
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Bump!

I've got a craving for Mexican too!
  • herz28camaro
    herz28camaro Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Quick and tasty Flat Enchilladas:

ground Turkey
    Cumin
    Garlic
    Red chilli powder
    Non stick skillet - mix and cook all together adding little flour to make a sauce.. cook 40 min

low fat corn tortillas.. dip in the sauce to soften

on a plate layer this way:
    corn tortilla
    some of the meat
    low fat cheddar cheese
    diced onion
    diced lettuce
    diced tomato
    make a second layer ending with meat then cheese

now dig in...mmmmm
  • Penny_Lane_
    Penny_Lane_ Posts: 163
    Options
    If anyone says anything about putting shredded cheddar cheese on mexican food.... I WILL END YOUR EXISTENCE.
  • CTCMom2009
    CTCMom2009 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Beef Carnitas: We eat this one all the time... 231 cal per serving for the filling, you can easily control the calories of your add-ons... I typically use a low carb tortilla, avocado, a bit of cheese and sour cream. You can also adjust the chipotle in the recipe to taste.

You could also do with chicken very easily.

Serves: 6
    Prep: 10min
    Cook: 6hr 0min
    Total: 6hr 10min

•2 lb lb lean beef stew meat, cut into 1/2" pieces
    •3/4 cup mild salsa
    •2 tbsp chopped chipotle chili peppers in adobo sauce
    •1/2 tsp salt
    •1/8 tsp black pepper
    •1 C beef stock (we used Kitchen Basics) or water

Directions:

1.Combine all ingredients in large slow cooker. Cover and cook on low 6 to 8 hours.
    2. Warm tortillas, fill with carnitas, and top with your favorite things.

Nutritional Facts per serving (meat/salsa/chipotle mixture only)

CALORIES 231.1 CAL
    FAT 10.7 G
    SATURATED FAT 3.9 G
    SODIUM 597.6 MG
    CARBOHYDRATES 2.1 G
    TOTAL SUGARS 1 G
    DIETARY FIBER 0.6 G
    PROTEIN 30 G
  • purple_orchid
    purple_orchid Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Real Mexican food is actually pretty healthy, it's all the stuff that's added such as sour cream and cheeses.
    We make our own corn tortillas, stir fry chicken breasts, peppers, onions, jalapenos, and use home made refried beans.
  • CTCMom2009
    CTCMom2009 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    If anyone says anything about putting shredded cheddar cheese on mexican food.... I WILL END YOUR EXISTENCE.
    Does chihuahua cheese work for you?
  • dodiecoyle
    dodiecoyle Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Bump:smile:
  • gublercullen
    Options
    We have taco's once a week. I like the mini street size tortillas (only 20 calories each) My husband does steak, my daughter chicken and myself, I prefer fish. We throw them all on the grill with lime, cumin, garlic, chili seasoning etc. Stuff them with cabbage, onions, cilantro, avocado..any and all veggies go well. Serve with a side of black or pinto beans. =)

I took this for some inspiration and made tortilla wraps with cod fillets marinated in the spices you recommended, threw some avocado and creme fraiche (low fat) in there and it was gorgeous! Feel like I could eat tacos every night and never get bored :P
  • bkelley32148
    bkelley32148 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Seraphemz
    Seraphemz Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    This is the best Huevos Rancheros I have had... and they are healthy

1 small avocado, peeled, pitted, diced
    1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    1/3 cup minced green onions
    1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice

Nonstick vegetable oil spray
    4 5- to 6-inch-diameter corn tortillas

4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
    1 cup finely chopped onion
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    2 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
    1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes in juice
    1 15-ounce can black beans, drained
    2 teaspoons chopped canned chipotle chiles*

4 large eggs

1/2 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese or sharp cheddar cheese
    2 cups thinly sliced romaine lettuce

Stir first 4 ingredients in bowl to blend. Season salsa with salt and pepper.

Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray baking sheet with nonstick spray. Arrange tortillas in single layer on sheet. Bake until tortillas are golden, about 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, heat 3 teaspoons oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté until golden, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cumin; stir 30 seconds. Stir in tomatoes with juice, beans, and chiles; bring to boil. Reduce heat; simmer until almost all liquid is absorbed, stirring frequently, about 8 minutes. Season to taste with salt.

Heat 1 teaspoon oil in another large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Crack eggs into skillet; fry until whites are just set but yolks are still soft, about 4 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Place 1 warm tortilla on each of 4 plates. Divide bean mixture among tortillas. Top each with 1 egg; sprinkle with cheese and lettuce. Top with salsa; serve.

Per serving: calories, 394; total fat, 19 g; saturated fat, 3 g; cholesterol, 215 mg; fiber, 10 g
  • bkelley32148
    bkelley32148 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    that sounds awesome!
  • geeky_farmer
    Options
    One of my favorite crock pot recipes.

1 pound chicken breast. (whole)
    1 sweet onion (chopped coarsely)
    2 bell peppers (chopped coarsely)
    1 -1/2 tomatillos (cut into 1/8s)
    1-3 Anaheim peppers
    0-2 jalapeno peppers (both chopped coarsely depending on how much you like heat/peppers)
    juice from two limes
    2 t cumin
    1 t garlic powder
    1 t onion powder
    1/2 t salt

Throw everything in a crockpot. Cook for 6 hours. (Do not worry about lack of liquid the tomatillas will quickly release their juices)

At the end take out the chicken (which you will shred), and put everything else into a pot a boil down until it starts to get thick (about 15 minutes.) Add in chicken and stir well.

This can be used for soft tacos, burritos, or my favorite just serve over rice...

Enjoy.
  • FitToBeKim
    FitToBeKim Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    i make this mexican chicken chili stew stuff that's awesome and easy!

in a crockpot....
    1lb chicken breasts
    2 cans mexicorn
    1 can black beans
    1 jar salsa

cook until chicken is done and falls apart easily. shred the chicken and add it back to the rest. also add 1 block of cream cheese and a packet of taco seasoning. mix until creamy. you can eat it like chili, with tortilla chips, or (my personal favorite) put some in tortillas, roll up, put some shredded cheese on top and bake.

ETA: it makes a ton too! Lasts for days!

This sounds delicious !! I'm thinking I will fix it tomorrow !
    Thanks for sharing !!
  • eknobbe
    eknobbe Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    BUMP!!! LOVE MEXICAN FOOD
  • GRUNO
    GRUNO Posts: 98
    Options
    Quick Chilequiles

2 eggs
    3/4 C pinto beans, drained, rinsed
    Salsa (any kind you like)
    2 corn tortillas (crisped in the oven, broken into small pieces) or a handful of tortilla chips (broken into small pieces)
    2 Tbsp shredded cheese
    Avocado

Coat pan with non-stick spray, whip eggs and pour in heated pan. When the eggs just start to scramble, dump in the beans and salsa and stir to combine. Top with tortillas and cheese, cover and let sit over low heat 2-3 minutes until the cheese is melted and the tortillas just start to soften. Serve with sliced or mashed avocado and sour cream if you like. This recipe is for one person--it's easy to double or triple for more people.

It doesn't look pretty but it's good.
  • erinf79
    erinf79 Posts: 25
    Options
    bump
  • durshley
    durshley Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    This isn't even remotely authentic, but I'm trying these tomorrow and can't wait :P

http://www.iheartdropdead.com/blog/drop-dead-recipes-vegan-sweet-potato-black-bean-burritos-with-cilantro-avocado-sauce/#.UXBa6LWkrfZ

I cook a lot of mexican food, beef stew is my favourite. Anything with beans!!