Craving Mexican Food, Recipes Required!

Options

Replies

• amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    ohsheglows.com just had a fantastic vegan enchalade (sp) with a creamy avocado sauce!
  • katiedid1226
    katiedid1226 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Make "bean dip" out of anything. - cauliflower, broccoli, lentils, peas, avocado......just add cumin, garlic, onion, red chili powder....
    and dip with celery, carrots, cukes, etc. Even my kids like this.
  • NoleGirl0918
    NoleGirl0918 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Hi - i love mexican also :-) If you check out the food list, i've added a recipe for Chicken Fajita Casserole. It's always a hit at my house even with two young kids! It can be eaten alone or with tortilla chips.
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    Tacos de arrachera

You will need

Arrachera (skirt steak)
    [you will need cilantro, onion, lawrys season, and lime to marinade]

tortillas
    guacamole
    queso fresco (<--mexican crumbling cheese)
    salsa

grab a big enough container where the meat will fit. Season the arrachera with with lawrys and lime. place a layer of onion and cilantro first, then meat, then onion and cilantro again, then meat well you get the picture. Fire up the grill and grill those babies. Warm up your tortillas and create your tocaos topping them up with guac, cheese and salsa.. YUM
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    back to share later
  • qasim91
    qasim91 Posts: 25
    Options
    Good stuff. Should get my mum and dad to make some of these recipes instead of the same boring food all the time.
  • returntorural
    returntorural Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Try this one: http://www.food.com/recipe/tortilla-soup-470832

It's my favourite soup ever and it's low in calories!
  • Nightterror218
    Nightterror218 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Ok.....anyone have a kick *kitten* salsa, spicy or not.

I make my own during the summer but its only ok. Looking for something amazing, restaurant style goodness.
  • erinf79
    erinf79 Posts: 25
    Options
    Here's a version of salsa I make at home: Roast the tomatoes, onion, garlic, and jalapeno all drizzled with olive oil in the oven first. Then remove the skins from the tomato and jalapeno. If you want it spicy leave the jalapeno seeds, otherwise remove them for mild. Put all of that with cilantro, salt, pepper and more olive oil in the food processor and serve either warm or cold.
  • Pixie8504
    Pixie8504 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I mix together brown rice, black beans, salsa and a little taco seasoning. Put in a tortilla and fold into a burrito. Top with a little extra salsa or taco sauce.
  • JessicaJoanJarvis
    JessicaJoanJarvis Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm going to a mexican restaurant tomorrow evening for dinner, what do you suggest?

I don't really like fish, so was thinking maybe just a salad, but considering I eat salad for lunch / dinner most days, it'd be nice to have something different.

xxx
  • lazergirl21
    Options
    Bump - low calorie Mexican food = heaven!
  • nalie879
    nalie879 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    We have tacos once per week in our house. Most of the time fish tacos, and that's one of our days to get fish in :). I don't eat any grain or startches due to digestive issues, so I make the below tortillas/crepes. They are filling and protien packed - much better than the carb-loaded ones you find. Roast fish/chicken/beef with taco seasoning, shred, add avacado to these tortillas and enjoy...delish!

http://urbanposer.blogspot.com/2011/08/savory-crepes-with-garlic-rosemary.html
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    bump to check out recipes later!! Thanks!
  • rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    My favorite is My fish taco recipe!

Bake talapia: in oven sprinkled with chili powder, onion powder, lime juice, and a little sea salt (drizzle olive oil lightly)

My favorite mango salsa: chop up the fruit from 1 mango, a handful of fresh cilantro, 2 large tomatoes, a finely chopped slice of onion (or 2 scallions),( you can add a pepper of your choice if you want spicy) the Juice of 1 lime, and sea salt to taste

To assemble-
    Your choice of tortilla based on diet needs, 1/2 filet of tilapia, some shredded romaine lettuce, and 2-3 tbsp of your fresh salsa.

I have done this with shrimp instead of talapia too
  • rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Ok.....anyone have a kick *kitten* salsa, spicy or not.

I make my own during the summer but its only ok. Looking for something amazing, restaurant style goodness.

Yes- I am partial to mine
  • mcdonoughjl
    Options
    bump! :smile:
  • crystalfisher89
    crystalfisher89 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I love to make enchiladas and they happen to actually be relatively healthy :)

Here my recipe:

You'll need

1 lb of 93% lean ground beef
    8-12 yellow corn tortillas (these tend be smaller- great for smaller portions
    1 cup of Monterrey Jack Cheese
    1 Packet of McCormick Enchilada Sauce
    1 8 oz can of tomato sauce
    5-6 green onions sliced (if desired)
    9x13" cake pan

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
    Brown the beef and empty out the extra grease, thoroughly wet down your corn tortillas so they don't crack when you wrap them. Place a spoon full of beef onto tortilla, sprinkle a little bit of cheese inside, and wrap up, setting opening side down onto cake pan (or whatever you've got). After you're done putting all the enchiladas in the pan, spread prepared enchilada sauce all over the tortillas and sprinkle remaining cheese and green onions on the top. Bake for 15 minutes and Enjoy :) This is my favorite and it takes about a half hour to make :) 1 enchilada is figured out to be about 150 calories :)
  • babynew
    babynew Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    There's some good ideas and sites I want to share with my son here.
  • Artemis00diana
    Options
    bump