Peanutbutter

Options
Hey guys. So I've been eating healthy and working out for almost a month now, but I weighed myself today and I had gained 1,5kg.. And the only thing I can think to blame is peanutbutter, because maybe I've been eating too much(about 1 jar per 5 days). What is a good daily amount to consume?

Replies

• mich1902
    mich1902 Posts: 182
    Options
    I have between 15 and 30g a day as well as 15g flaked almonds a day. Do you weigh it? i always weigh mines as a 'tablespoon' can be varied.
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Nut butters are about 100 calories per tablespoon on average. I;ll leave you to figure out how that affects your daily totals.
  • MrsJBro
    MrsJBro Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    One jar of peanut butter every 5 days is ALOT of calories. As another person just wrote, that's 100 cal/TB. Way too much. My dietician limits me to 1.5 tsp on one slice of toast every couple days.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Are you logging your peanut butter? Are you logging everything else you're eating? If so, looking at your diary should tell you if the amount you're consuming is causing you to gain weight. Gaining weight is not the fault of one particular food, but nut butters are very energy-dense, so it would be easy to exceed your calorie goal by over eating them.
  • viky1235
    viky1235 Posts: 9
    Options
    I don't weigh it, no. But I usually don't eat any other nuts.
    I tried calorie counting but I didn't know if 1600 that I'd set were the right amount of calories for me, so I went back to eating whenever I'm hungry.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    I will not tolerate any bad-mouthing of peanut butter. You're just eating too much food.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I would say that is a lot of PB per week. an entire jar isnt consumed by my family in a week, although I am the only one who eats PB every single day. I eat no more than 2 tablespoons a day, and i may skip a day or two if need be. Such as today i ate shredded wheat for my breakfast instead of my usual Peanut butter and pretzels.

Peanut butter is soooooo nummmy though!!! =)
  • xMallie
    xMallie Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of peanut butter, but I am learning to cut it down by
    A) Eating the whipped version (spreads easier, meaning less of it to get that taste)
    B) Only having small amounts (again, you're craving the taste, not anything else.)
    and
    C) slowly weaning myself off of it (once every second day to once every third day etc etc)

I wish you luck!
    BREAK THE PB ADDICTION!
  • Brunner26_2
    Options
    One jar of peanut butter every 5 days is ALOT of calories. As another person just wrote, that's 100 cal/TB. Way too much. My dietician limits me to 1.5 tsp on one slice of toast every couple days.

Fire your dietician.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I will not tolerate any bad-mouthing of peanut butter. You're just eating too much food.

This.

Also I'm incredibly happy to see that PB2 has yet to be mentioned.

Vile stuff.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Try Bell Plantation PB2 powdered peanut butter (my grocery sells it in the same aisle as the peanut butter). It tastes like the real thing but has WAY less fat and calories. On top of that you need to be logging your calories every day to see how many you are consuming. Chances are if you didn't know how much consuming a jar of peanut butter every 5 days was affecting you, you're probaby eating other things that are contributing to weight gain as well.
  • 86_Ohms
    86_Ohms Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't blame it on one food alone.

Open up your diary to public for proper inspection.

I like the phrase Nut Butter.
  • Brunner26_2
    Options
    A) Eating the whipped version (spreads easier, meaning less of it to get that taste)
    B) Only having small amounts (again, you're craving the taste, not anything else.)
    and
    C) slowly weaning myself off of it (once every second day to once every third day etc etc)

I wish you luck!
    BREAK THE PB ADDICTION!

Whipped is a ripoff. You pay the same amount of money for the jar that has less peanut butter in it! They're selling you air.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I use the tablespoon to measure my PB. It's probably the total daily fat intake you're consuming. Are you logging all cooking oils, too? Log EVERYTHING. It all adds up really fast.
  • Brunner26_2
    Options

This.

Also I'm incredibly happy to see that PB2 has yet to be mentioned.

Vile stuff.

I like it, but it's not as good as the real stuff. Not even close. It's good for adding peanut flavor to smoothies and oatmeal if I don't have the calories left or I've already met my fat goal.

I'll also mix it with cinnamon, cocoa powder, or pumpkin pie spice when I add the water to it.
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    you're eating too many calories for what you want to do. It's not just the peanut butter

Example: My current jar of peanut butter (Peter Pan) has 28 2 tablespoon servings at 210 calories per serving

28 x 210 = 5,880 calories

over 5 days it averages 1,176 calories from PB alone. Is that too many for you?

I swap in PB2 sometimes. It's like Peanut butter but not. 45 calories per 2 tablespoon - add water to desired consistency.
  • britkip
    britkip Posts: 49
    Options
    I really don't think peanut butter is the problem, I eat a Jar over the weekend (2 days) yes a whole regular sized jar. I have not gained any weight from it. But I also eat extremely healthy all week and work out twice a day. The weekends are my splurge days. IDK it works for me. I just don't think peanut butter would be the problem esp. if you logging it. Yes it's high in calories but it has good fat, good source of protein, low in carbs. But then again everyone's body is different.
  • xMallie
    xMallie Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    and

I wish you luck!
    BREAK THE PB ADDICTION!

Whipped is a ripoff. You pay the same amount of money for the jar that has less peanut butter in it! They're selling you air.

I know, I know! But I like how it spreads.... I tend to pile it on otherwise. And I'm so unco-ordinated I never, ever can spread normal PB right hahaha.

I also weigh how much I have... generally 5-10gm per serve/ a day for me