Peanutbutter

Options

Replies

• Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    You all should expand your peanut butter horizons.

http://www.pbcrave.com/info/Flavors - cookie dough flavor is great

http://www.monkeybutterpb.com/ - they have maple bacon PB

http://www.nuttyspeanutbutter.com/products-peanut-butter.htm - I like the mint chocolate and butterscotch

http://wildfriendsfoodsshop.com/collections/nut-butters - Honey pretzel is great
  • Serhansom
    Options
    Peanutbutter is high in calories, but that's because it's 43% fat. Surprisingly, half of that fat is the same heart-healthy, mono-unsaturated variety that gives olive oil its illustrious reputation.

Reduced Fat Peanut Butter??? The upside: Even the reduced-fat version pack a sub-stantial quantity of heart-healthy mono-unsaturated fat. The downside: many commercial brands are sweetened with "icing sugar" - the same finely ground sugar used to decoratecupcakes. In fact, each table-spoon of Skippy contains half a teaspoon of the sweet stuff. Reduced-fat versions are the worst of all, because they contain less healthy fat and even more icing sugar...

The healthy alternative: An all-natural, full-fat peanut butter that contains no added sugar.

Do your body a favor by making use of peanut butter with celery and sandwiches, and remember to limit your intake of white bread and other refined carbs.which are far worse than sticky stuff.
  • BioMechHeretic
    BioMechHeretic Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    So from what I gathered when I read that, you weren't sure 1600 cals was correct so instead you.....ate whatever you wanted whenever you wanted. And you also don't weigh-in.

I think the problem is everything(eating too much, eating the wrong stuff, not calorie and macro tracking, not weighing in or taking measurements)......not just "peanut butter". As an aside though, yes a jar in 5 days is a crazy amount considering everything else you are probably consuming,
  • viky1235
    viky1235 Posts: 9
    Options
    So from what I gathered when I read that, you weren't sure 1600 cals was correct so instead you.....ate whatever you wanted whenever you wanted. And you also don't weigh-in.

I think the problem is everything(eating too much, eating the wrong stuff, not calorie and macro tracking, not weighing in or taking measurements)......not just "peanut butter". As an aside though, yes a jar in 5 days is a crazy amount considering everything else you are probably consuming,

No, I don't eat anything and everything. I don't eat any sweets, or fried stuff, or white carbs. I eat whole wheat bread and wraps, veggies and fruits, chicken, eggs, yogurt, low fat cheese and deli turkey and oats. That's basically it. And I thought eating whenever I was hungry meant I ate whenever my body needed me to, and that's why I did it.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

No, I don't eat anything and everything. I don't eat any sweets, or fried stuff, or white carbs. I eat whole wheat bread and wraps, veggies and fruits, chicken, eggs, yogurt, low fat cheese and deli turkey and oats. That's basically it. And I thought eating whenever I was hungry meant I ate whenever my body needed me to, and that's why I did it.

Eat too much good stuff (however you chose to define it because everyone seems to have a different view) and you will gain weight. Losing weight isn't a matter of good vs. bad food, it's calories in vs. calories out. Sure, for overall health reasons you want to get sufficient fiber, protein, fats and micronutrients, but all that is going to have very little impact on actual weight loss.
  • BeachIron
    Options
    Try Bell Plantation PB2 powdered peanut butter (my grocery sells it in the same aisle as the peanut butter). It tastes like the real thing but has WAY less fat and calories. O

LIES. It doesn't taste even remotely like the real thing, unless you're used to peanut dust mixed with water.

Agreed. Besides, there is nothing wrong with fat and calories. Just watch the portions.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,282 Member
    Options

You can gain weight on "healthy" foods if you are consuming more then your TDEE. By not logging, you have NO idea what your choices add up to.

There is no way that peanut butter ALONE is responsible for the weight gain. If you want to eat a bunch of PB that is fine... as long as it fits in your calories. So, it is all the food you are eating because you are eating too much of it over all.
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    One jar of peanut butter every 5 days is ALOT of calories. As another person just wrote, that's 100 cal/TB. Way too much. My dietician limits me to 1.5 tsp on one slice of toast every couple days.

Fire your dietician.

Agree. Your toast is more likely to be a problem than the peanut butter.
  • pluckabee
    pluckabee Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    calve peanut butter?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/calve-peanut-butter-61866371

2310 calories per jar, 460 calories a day.

This is quite a lot of calories to come from peanut butter alone, but without knowing what else you eat, I cant know whether taking this out would make a difference or not.

460 calories can be the difference between losing half a pound a week and gaining half a pound a week.

You should really be logging your calories., otherwise no one can help you. You can still eat when you are hungry, just log what you eat.
  • viky1235
    viky1235 Posts: 9
    Options

Eat too much good stuff (however you chose to define it because everyone seems to have a different view) and you will gain weight. Losing weight isn't a matter of good vs. bad food, it's calories in vs. calories out. Sure, for overall health reasons you want to get sufficient fiber, protein, fats and micronutrients, but all that is going to have very little impact on actual weight loss.

Okay, I get that. But I tried so hard to find what the right amount of calories to eat is and I couldn't. My tdee is 2100. I was counting my calories for a week and I could barely go to 1800, but after logging my workouts, I still had remaining calories to consume, so I don't think I went over my tdee. Idk whether I should replace the calories I burn in my workouts or not, and it's really hard to know who on the internet says the right things.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I agree with others about PB2. It rocks. I'm a huge peanutbutter-holic and I made the switch and haven't looked back.

PB2 = 45 calories per 2 tbsp
    Normal peanut butter = 200 calories per 2 tbsp
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Really the problem is that you have no idea what you're eating, what your calories are, what your proteins are. The peanut butter could be a part of overeatiing...if you're eating a fifth of a jar each day, that's about 640 calories each day. That doesn't mean the peanut butteris a problem because what else you're eating and how much makes all the difference.

I'd recommend keeping food diaries for a couple of weeks just to SEE how much you're eating. Then you can make some decisions about how many calories you want to eat, but you need some facts here.
  • ColleenRoss50
    ColleenRoss50 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh it, no. But I usually don't eat any other nuts.
    I tried calorie counting but I didn't know if 1600 that I'd set were the right amount of calories for me, so I went back to eating whenever I'm hungry.

Eating whenever we were "hungry" is what got most of us in trouble in the first place.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    1 tablesppon peanut butter is 90- 100 calories
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Try natural peanut butter if you aren't already. The regular stuff has a lot of ingredients that are bad for you. If you are eating the more natural peanut butter and it fits within your calorie and fat intake goals, I don't think it is the problem.
  • pluckabee
    pluckabee Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Okay, I get that. But I tried so hard to find what the right amount of calories to eat is and I couldn't. My tdee is 2100. I was counting my calories for a week and I could barely go to 1800, but after logging my workouts, I still had remaining calories to consume, so I don't think I went over my tdee. Idk whether I should replace the calories I burn in my workouts or not, and it's really hard to know who on the internet says the right things.

if your tdee is 2100, then to lose 1lb a week you need to eat 1600 calories a day.

If you end up under that, that's fine

At first, dont bother eating your exercise calories. If you find yourself feeling weak or actually hungry, eat a little more until you find what works for you
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Really the problem is that you have no idea what you're eating, what your calories are, what your proteins are. The peanut butter could be a part of overeatiing...if you're eating a fifth of a jar each day, that's about 640 calories each day. That doesn't mean the peanut butteris a problem because what else you're eating and how much makes all the difference.

I'd recommend keeping food diaries for a couple of weeks just to SEE how much you're eating. Then you can make some decisions about how many calories you want to eat, but you need some facts here.

^^THIS Sorry, but one jar in 5 days is probably too much. Cut down on it. If you really need a lot of Peanut Butter try the PB2 (I like the chocolate peanut butter version better). It is no where like the real thing but you could replace regular PB with that and only have two tablespoons of real peanut butter. Slowly reduce the amounts. But overall, sounds like you just need to track better and vary your diet a bit. GOOD LUCK!
  • BeachIron
    Options

This is why you need to get out of the MFP forums and spend some time reading and thinking critically about what you are reading. If you think your TDEE is 2100, then perhaps cut it by around 20% = 420 calories (let's round it because 20 calories is meh, and get 400, so eat 1700 a day). Once you do that stop changing your mind and commit. If you lose more than 1 pound per week or are not losing enough (after trying this for 8 weeks), then adjust up or down in 100-200 calorie increments. This is your body and you need to find out how it works. You will eventually develop a pretty good idea of what your TDEE really is.

If, on the other hand, you use the MFP calculator, then understand that it is designed such that you eat back your exercise calories. Just be VERY careful that you are not over-estimating your calorie burn. Again, this is something that you need to figure out about YOUR body. Buy a heart rate monitor if you need help, but honestly MFP tends to overestimate calories burned for the various calories listed. If you don't want to buy a HRM then just cut those estimates by half and see how that works for you, and adjust over time as necessary.

The point, is take this seriously, track what you are doing, compare your results to what you expected, and adjust. Getting upset and quitting because it's not working exactly the way you expected isn't going to help you.

Good luck, and get to work!
  • chrisandover
    Options
    :happy: PB2 It is the best stuff on earth
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    It's most likely not just your peanut butter. It's that you are miscalculating and eating to many calories. PB is high in calories and can put you over very fast if you don't weigh and log everything properly.

I eat 4-6 tbls per day and have had no issue.

this.
    I have about 2-3 TBS of natty peanut butter + 1 TBS of coconut oil + some almonds on a regular basis and im cutting weight.