What to do after I finish Insanity?

Options

Replies

• Shes1CraftyMama
    Shes1CraftyMama Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Insanity is mostly cardio, you need something that will get you lifting. You could do P90X or Butt Bible (by Pauline Nordine) or JL Fusion. All of these are weights with Cardio and use the premise of mixing up your muscle groups to avoid muscle memory issues.
    Hope this helps and GOOD LUCK! Oh, and congrats on insanity! That is fantastic wtg!
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Slam a beer.

Then start lifting heavy.
  • sclaibo
    sclaibo Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you are aware that Shaun T is currently going through the full insanity programme as part of a birthday celebration (bizarre way to celebrate a birthday I know). He is currently on day 46 and has vowed that once he had completed Insanity that he will be moving onto the Asylum. I just happened to start at the same time as him but I've found it even more enjoyable following his twitter and facebook feeds. So, the Asylum should start in just over two weeks which would give you a couple of weeks in the gym!

Oh cool, birthday celebration? I really want to do a combination of both a beach body program and the gym though. I feel like I'm wasting my money not going anymore! Lol! But thanks!

Don't get me wrong, P90X and the Beachbody programs can yield some great results, but most people I know that have done them, eventually get into weightlifting once they either can afford the gym, have the time or feel comfortable working out around other people.

The weight room is where you're going to get the most bang for your buck, IMO.

So would it be better for me to go to the gym instead?

Yes.

Specifically the squat or power rack. Look up a program like Starting Strength, Stronglifts 5x5, or NROLFW.

I am currently in the same boat and I finish Insanity this weekend. I have been looking into heavy lifting, but I am afraid that I am still too heavy to do it and maybe I need to lose 15 more pounds before I start. I also am afraid of injury doing the squat and not being able to put the weights back. I don't have anyone to train with me and I really can't afford a personal trainer. Are these legitimate concerns? So really until I read more up on heavy lifting, I am going to try JM30DS for the next 30 days
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Slam a beer.

You, sir, are awesome.
  • jaina08
    jaina08 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I was actually thinking about doing either 90x or Insanity again but I miss going to the gym! Should I do a combination of another round of Insanity or p90x and also go to the gym? Like go to the gym every other day and the rest of the days would be a beach body program?

What are you looking to accomplish now that you finished? Maintain? Get more muscle? Lose more weight? I think that it would depend on those things.

I actually want to lose more weight, specifically in my stomach area and arms and gain more muscle.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    I was wondering as well but i am on day 1 lol
  • ASaxe23
    ASaxe23 Posts: 163
    Options
    I only have 13 days left of Insanity. I can't believe I am almost done! Should I just go back to the gym and do my normal workouts again? I usually go to the gym classes doing the body pump and bootcamp classes along with some cardio. I went to the bootcamp class recently and it was not a challenge at all! Surprisingly! I usually get really exhausted. I guess Insanity helped me A LOT with my endurance. If I do just go back to the gym am I still going to be able to maintain my weight and muscles that I've gained? I don't want my body to change all of a sudden after not doing Insanity anymore after the 63 days. So what do you guys suggest?

Insanity: Asylum Volume 1 and 2 or Turbo Fire ( LOVE TF) they are both gonna be at your level of fitness currently! You could also try Les Mills Combat which is amazing!!
  • 6550mom
    6550mom Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Slam a beer.

You, sir, are awesome.

That was my favorite answer too. :) I plan to start lifting, maybe 3 days per week and doing some of the Insanity workouts a couple days a week to maintain some cardio conditioning (I don't like running- never have, but like Insanity a lot). Hope that works to drop pounds and more importantly, some more body fat.
  • dontgobacktosleep
    dontgobacktosleep Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I was thinking of going to the gym, but following the body beast plan. Its available also on your phone so I thought it might be a good combination. I was successful with the beachbody methodology, it really kept me motivated and accountable.

Good luck, let us know what you settle on! :D
  • jaina08
    jaina08 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I do actually want to lift weights at the gym but the problem is, I really don't know how... Plus I don't really have the guts to go in the weights area because the majority of them are men. I feel self-conscious for some reason, lol! I really want to do the weights where you do squats, I just wish I knew how. I was thinking of just doing free weights. There's also a class at the gym called body pump, I used to do that but I feel like it's not that much of a challenge for me. Maybe I need heavier weights for that class.
  • mikkimomof3
    mikkimomof3 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat! I have 8 days left of Insanity and I'm trying to figure out what to do next. I have p90x already, so I think I'm going that route for a bit. I have three small kids and no gym membership at the moment, so that really isn't a realistic option for me yet. I'd love to get into heavy lifting someday...
  • mrcrizp
    mrcrizp Posts: 2
    Options
    What do you count the Insanity workouts as in your profile? i went through all the options but didnt see anthing that really felt that it quite matched what insanity is.
  • SaraBrown12
    SaraBrown12 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I have never completed insanity/turbofire/brazil butt lift or p90x however i own them all and a few others(turbo fire, chalean extreme and a few others i cannot remember. A lot of people complete insanity then go hybrid and do a mixture of brazil butt lift and turbo fire or p90x and insanity. Its about your personal preference. Have a look on youtube and look at the infomercials for beach body programmes.
  • shutupandlift13
    Options
    Own the weight room...

wait, first join this group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/12919-girls-who-lift-the-guys-who-spot-them

and see how many women are being badasses in the weight room and hear about where they started to get you all amped up and THEN go own the weight room.

Most men that see women in the weight room are impressed, always willing to help with spotting or form checks and think you're awesome.

New Rules of Lifting for Women would be a great place to start if you don't have much familiarity with weight lifting movements.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I was actually thinking about doing either 90x or Insanity again but I miss going to the gym! Should I do a combination of another round of Insanity or p90x and also go to the gym? Like go to the gym every other day and the rest of the days would be a beach body program?

What are you looking to accomplish now that you finished? Maintain? Get more muscle? Lose more weight? I think that it would depend on those things.

I actually want to lose more weight, specifically in my stomach area and arms and gain more muscle.

First - you can't spot reduce. You have to lose the overall body fat and that's done mostly through eating at a caloric deficit.

Second - you can't gain muscle on a calorie deficit. You can strengthen the muscles you already have, but to gain new muscle, you'd have to be eating at a caloric surplus.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Own the weight room...

wait, first join this group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/12919-girls-who-lift-the-guys-who-spot-them

and see how many women are being badasses in the weight room and hear about where they started to get you all amped up and THEN go own the weight room.

Most men that see women in the weight room are impressed, always willing to help with spotting or form checks and think you're awesome.

New Rules of Lifting for Women would be a great place to start if you don't have much familiarity with weight lifting movements.

^This. I also recommend checking out Starting Strength and Stronglifts to see which program suits you best. Starting Strength is great for technique while I find Stronglifts really simple to follow.
  • shutupandlift13
    Options
    I don't know if you are aware that Shaun T is currently going through the full insanity programme as part of a birthday celebration (bizarre way to celebrate a birthday I know). He is currently on day 46 and has vowed that once he had completed Insanity that he will be moving onto the Asylum. I just happened to start at the same time as him but I've found it even more enjoyable following his twitter and facebook feeds. So, the Asylum should start in just over two weeks which would give you a couple of weeks in the gym!

Oh cool, birthday celebration? I really want to do a combination of both a beach body program and the gym though. I feel like I'm wasting my money not going anymore! Lol! But thanks!

Don't get me wrong, P90X and the Beachbody programs can yield some great results, but most people I know that have done them, eventually get into weightlifting once they either can afford the gym, have the time or feel comfortable working out around other people.

The weight room is where you're going to get the most bang for your buck, IMO.

So would it be better for me to go to the gym instead?

Yes.

Specifically the squat or power rack. Look up a program like Starting Strength, Stronglifts 5x5, or NROLFW.

I am currently in the same boat and I finish Insanity this weekend. I have been looking into heavy lifting, but I am afraid that I am still too heavy to do it and maybe I need to lose 15 more pounds before I start. I also am afraid of injury doing the squat and not being able to put the weights back. I don't have anyone to train with me and I really can't afford a personal trainer. Are these legitimate concerns? So really until I read more up on heavy lifting, I am going to try JM30DS for the next 30 days

Start lifting... like yesterday! You're not too heavy. Go light with weight at first, make sure you're executing the movements properly, ask a lot of questions on here and in the group I listed above, youtube and google a lot, buy a book like Starting Strength or NROLFW, use a squat rack which ensures your safety while lifting heavy, and get after it!

Incorporate moderate cardio if you like, but don't go too crazy with it.
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    This is what I did:

March 2012 - Mid-August 2012 NROL4W

Mid-August - January 2013 - 2 round of Insanity

Feb - current - NROL4W and Insanity twice a week.

At this point, I don't think I'll really ever just "go to the gym" without having an actual program to go off of. I feel so much better about what I've done and where I'm going with a plan. I'd do a lifting program, then after you finish it (and I mean finish it...not do it for 4 weeks and then decide that you don't look like a fitness model yet so then freak out and quit and start something else), assess where you are and go from there. Good luck!
  • verzanie
    verzanie Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Shaun T is launching T25 at the end of June which I plan to do. i finished Insanity a week ago and started Turbo Fire and I'll throw in some insanity workouts (month 1) when I feel like it - i think you need to give your body a rest from that for a while. I also do some classes and kettle bell

Oh nice, what is T25? How were your results with Insanity?
    excellent results i lost lots of inches rather than weight and have abs now! :-) T25 is supposed to be the same as insanity but only 5 days a week 25 minutes..
    look here
    http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/focus-t25-workout.do
    stick with insanity the best result is the fitness level you will get to
  • CoachTommyB
    Options
    On april 30th me and a friend are doing a beachbody Challange pack to support his new team!!! You should be done by then, if your interested you join the fun!.

And also I am doing p90x plus going to the gym for some extra workouts, sometimes i just need people around me to push a bit harder. haha