Should I concern myself with others' eating habits?

Options
I've been thinking for the past few days since I started eating better those around me haven't really done the same. I was at a family bbq this past weekend and all the meat that was cooked was the first to go, the salad that was made went untouched(except by me). I notice that my family's version of "healthy" means completely cutting off a food group(just an apple for breakfast, no bread, no rice etc) which after a while I learned isn't good. This said, should I bother myself of telling those around me to eat like this instead, or eat this instead, or would I sound like that "health nut" person? Have any of you guys tried if so how did it go?

Replies

• vicrandom
    vicrandom Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Nah... lead by example until/unless they ask you how you're making your health journey work.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Nah... lead by example until/unless they ask you how you're making your health journey work.

I'm going to vote for this answer. As helpful as you want to be, it often doesn't go over well. And many people have different ideas of what "healthy" really is.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I would say just keep it to yourself unless asked.

And even when asked just give vague answers that don't seem to have any real concrete meaning.

This way you remain a mystery . . .
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I would say just keep it to yourself unless asked.

And even when asked just give vague answers that don't seem to have any real concrete meaning.

This way you remain a mystery . . .

"How does one eat healthy? Like the wolf, I would wager. Become the wolf and health will consume you."
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    it's a barbecue. unless your family does something weird and grills the lettuce then meat should be the first thing to go. the entire event is named for how the meat is prepared.

"hey guys, it's labor day and i'm inviting you all to my backyard salad party" is NOT going to get you a whole lot of rsvps. and being the downbeat simpson at the bbq tsk tsk-ing all the people trying to enjoy themselves isn't going to win you many friends either.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    not sure what's wrong with eating meat...

bringing this up to your family will not win you any points. Lead by example, and when they *ask* how you got your great results, *THEN* you tell them.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    No. Mind ya business.

And it's a BBQ, the meat is kind of the point...

If there's a bunch of awesome meat being bbq'd, I wouldn't go near the salad either.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    not sure what's wrong with eating meat...

bringing this up to your family will not win you any points. Lead by example, and when they *ask* how you got your great results, *THEN* you tell them.

Yup this. Keep it to yourself unless asked, and even then, don't get preachy.
    I'm not sure why some people think meat is unhealthy either...
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    it's a barbecue. unless your family does something weird and grills the lettuce then meat should be the first thing to go. the entire event is named for how the meat is prepared.

"hey guys, it's labor day and i'm inviting you all to my backyard salad party" is NOT going to get you a whole lot of rsvps. and being the downbeat simpson at the bbq tsk tsk-ing all the people trying to enjoy themselves isn't going to win you many friends either.

9A3400EE-4727-42BF-9678-05EDF4DC2340-11002-000007BC7F1D47C3.jpg
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking for the past few days since I started eating better those around me haven't really done the same. I was at a family bbq this past weekend and all the meat that was cooked was the first to go, the salad that was made went untouched(except by me). I notice that my family's version of "healthy" means completely cutting off a food group(just an apple for breakfast, no bread, no rice etc) which after a while I learned isn't good. This said, should I bother myself of telling those around me to eat like this instead, or eat this instead, or would I sound like that "health nut" person? Have any of you guys tried if so how did it go?

What's wrong with meat? It is generally considered a healthy part of a well balanced diet. And I generally hate salad...especially at a BBQ where the point would be to eat all the meat. I don't even allow salad at my BBQs unless it is of the potato variety.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Seems like you're saying meat is unhealthy, which it isn't.

At any rate, I would definitely not make a point of telling other people how to eat. If they notice you making changes and having success and they ask, then you can share your wisdom.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Who brings salad to a BBQ?
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Think back to before you committed to MFP and getting healthy. If someone in your family had approached you to tell you all about what you were doing wrong, how would you have felt and reacted? Probably not very well. No one likes an evangelical weight loss expert.

You are still in the position to live by example. Do your best for you, and eventually someone else will catch on or it will snowball with your family. You can bring healthy foods to family functions, maybe ask people to join you for things like walks or other activities, and otherwise I think it's best to keep unsolicited advice to yourself.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Nevermind, someone stole my answer.

So, I'll throw this out there instead:

tumblr_mcm07mVlQw1r7ochao1_500.gif
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Don't bother yourself with anyone else. Don't judge anyone elses diet. You need to be concerned with you.

Even if you did talk to them, they most likely won't listen to you, most likely won't change their diet and most likely will end up angry at you. People have to want to change for themselves. They may not have the knowledge on what is best or better or even how to change what they are doing properly.

Keep doing what you are doing. Some people may come to you for advice should they be ready to change their lifestyle. Until than, don't say anything.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Who brings salad to a BBQ?

People that don't get a second invitation.
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options

Agreed. :)
  • Jonesie1984
    Jonesie1984 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Nah.. you had your "ah ha" moment let them have theirs.. Unless it's your child or something. When they want to get healthy they will use you as a resource =)
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    Nobody likes salad. Not even Daryl, and i bet he was pretty hungry, with the zombie apocalypse and all..
    nzAU1SP.jpg
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Telling them they eat terrible is a great way to never get invited over for family events.

"Birthday party! Should we invite her?"
    "Nah, she won't eat the cake and she'll just tell us how unhealthy it is to eat cake. Let's invite someone who will have fun and won't judge us."