Should I concern myself with others' eating habits?

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    This said, should I bother myself of telling those around me to eat like this instead, or eat this instead, or would I sound like that "health nut" person? Have any of you guys tried if so how did it go?

For those you care about, I'd say the asnwer to all is yes. I tell my family how to eat better all the time. They call me a health nut. But sometimes it does sink in a little (empahsis on little). I have seen a few small changes but not many, and usually only when faced with some health problem.

But, I am the one they ask when they have a nutrition question. It usually starts with "You're the health nut, can you tell me ..."
  • ctpeace
    ctpeace Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    The only person whose eating habits I'm really concerning myself with now (aside from my own) is my 1yo son, and even that is 90% leading by example! In trying to get my hubby on board with the new healthy lifestyle, I've basically kept my mouth shut. He's already thanked me for not judging him and told me that I'm inspiring him to start making changes. Silence and results will be the best "conversion" technique for your family. Also, bbq is awesome and I hope you had at least a sensible portion of meat with that salad!:smile:
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    "hey guys, it's labor day and i'm inviting you all to my backyard salad party" is NOT going to get you a whole lot of rsvps.

Depends on where you live I guess. I once had a bunch of people over for backyard grilling. I didn't know any of them too well, and didn't feel like getting into a discussion over food preferences, so I just made vegetarian stuff like I normally would for me and my girlfriend. As it turned out, one of the couples were vegetarian, another wasn't eating animal products as part of a religious fast, and the other two loved my cooking so much that they asked for a recipe later. Here in DC meatless food goes over better than you'd think.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Telling them they eat terrible is a great way to never get invited over for family events.

"Birthday party! Should we invite her?"
    "Nah, she won't eat the cake and she'll just tell us how unhealthy it is to eat cake. Let's invite someone who will have fun and won't judge us."

I think you have a skewed idea of what eating healthy means. Birthday cake can be part of a healthy diet.
  • DesDawn24
    DesDawn24 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Nah... lead by example until/unless they ask you how you're making your health journey work.

I definitely agree with this as well, although if their choices are affecting you directly you need to make sure that they respect your healthy lifestyle!
  • Thorbjornn
    Thorbjornn Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    For me, bread and rice are unhealthy. I do best physically and psychologically on meat, leaves and berries, i.e. paleo.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Telling them they eat terrible is a great way to never get invited over for family events.

"Birthday party! Should we invite her?"
    "Nah, she won't eat the cake and she'll just tell us how unhealthy it is to eat cake. Let's invite someone who will have fun and won't judge us."

I think you have a skewed idea of what eating healthy means. Birthday cake can be part of a healthy diet.

I don't. This is something I've ran into. Many people who have found out I've lost weight think because I eat healhier now I won't eat things like cake. I have a cupboard full of pop tarts waiting for me after this competition is over.
  • jessilyn76
    jessilyn76 Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't give any advice unless I was asked, and even then, I wouldn't put too much stock in anyone listening!!
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Nevermind, someone stole my answer.

So, I'l throw this out there instead:

tumblr_mcm07mVlQw1r7ochao1_500.gif

hehe, this ^^^
  • JenniferMary_9169
    Options
    I would say just keep it to yourself unless asked.

And even when asked just give vague answers that don't seem to have any real concrete meaning.

This way you remain a mystery . . .

"How does one eat healthy? Like the wolf, I would wager. Become the wolf and health will consume you."

LMAO :laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Who brings salad to a BBQ?

Lebanese people.

and damn fine salads they make too, they go perfectly with sheesh tawook, shawarma and all the rest.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options

People that don't get a second invitation.

boom sold! I'd eat the meat first too -- just saying......meat is gooooooooooood
  • Proyecto_AN
    Proyecto_AN Posts: 387
    Options
    No
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    unless these people are your children still living at home, there isn't much you can do unless they come to you with advise when they see your results!

^^^ this. Parents/guardians should concern themselves with what their kids eat. When it comes to adults and people you're not responsible for, then wait until someone asks for advice before giving it.

Leading by example is a good strategy
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,330 Member
    Options
    I have this problem as well as my family are really overweight and unhealthy. It hurts me to see people I love doing themselves injury. I mean diabetes, breathing problems, joint problems. But I button my lip unless someone genuinely asks me for help (they don't). Preaching never works, people just hate you for it. I just take a healthy portion, one glass of wine, and SMILE! !!!!:bigsmile:
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Definitely mind your business. Speaking from the experiences I've been through, pretty much any person who ever preached to me on "healthier eating habits" left me the impression of being a douche. Good intentions or not.

And at a BBQ? It's on. The salad would be that piece of lettuce on my burger, chased with copious amounts of beer.
  • bcattoes
    Options

What's wrong with salad and bbq?? Since bbq'd meat is often filling and heavy, and salad is light they seem a good combo to me.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    I have this problem as well as my family are really overweight and unhealthy. It hurts me to see people I love doing themselves injury. I mean diabetes, breathing problems, joint problems. But I button my lip unless someone genuinely asks me for help (they don't). Preaching never works, people just hate you for it. I just take a healthy portion, one glass of wine, and SMILE! !!!!:bigsmile:

Your family would hate you if you told them you wanted them to eat heatlhy?
  • UsernameStillLoading
    UsernameStillLoading Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking for the past few days since I started eating better those around me haven't really done the same. I was at a family bbq this past weekend and all the meat that was cooked was the first to go, the salad that was made went untouched(except by me). I notice that my family's version of "healthy" means completely cutting off a food group(just an apple for breakfast, no bread, no rice etc) which after a while I learned isn't good. This said, should I bother myself of telling those around me to eat like this instead, or eat this instead, or would I sound like that "health nut" person? Have any of you guys tried if so how did it go?

Never tell anyone to eat like you. If you do so, they will think you are acting more superior towards them.
    If anything, you could ask them why they are eating that way and once they respond, say something along like "that's interesting; I learned that you need a combination of the food groups in order to have a healthy lifestyle....".
    Remember, every body (yes I mean body) is different. What is healthy for my sister isn't healthy for me and vice versa.
    Share what you know if asked...other than that, express how you feel but never tell them what they can and cannot eat.