Something odd about total calories

Options
2»

Replies

• Thorbjornn
    Thorbjornn Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I'd remove the wrong "omelette" and add 2 large eggs, 2 slices of cheese, and a slice of ham separately.

Yep, I just created it as my own recipe, using the separate ingredients. It looks much better. Now I know that when I get the omelette in the cafeteria it will be correct. I replaced the chicken breast too. The one I had was off. The others look OK. If I add a tbsp of oil and another scoop pf whey powder to my shake, I am almost spot on.

Thanks for pointing out the learning curve and pitfalls. This is invaluable. :smile:
  • norman_cates
    norman_cates Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    @Thorbjornn is correct. The calorie total is wrong. And its nothing to do with whether the macro values in a food is correct. (Well, OK, that will of course matter, but that's not the fundamental problem.)

MFP just don't do the calorie calculations correctly. ie the same way that EVERYONE ELSE DOES THEM.

Below I refer to Premium as an example of this.

If you set your macros in MFP premium, ie a certain amount of protein, carbs, fat, then MFP will give you a calorie value for your day. But if YOU actually do the math on what you've entered for macros, then the MFP calorie value is incorrect. Often by hundreds of calories. The problem starts right at the beginning, with MFP not providing anything actually useful for Premium. And in fact, providing WRONG information from the start.

Rant: No one should be paying MFP for Premium. They don't care to give us actually useful information, nor to let us export that information in any format that we can actually use. And they actively don't care. I have demonstrated problems to them, and also actual graphs and tools that would help everyone in their goals. And all those graphs are easily created from existing data that you have entered, and MFP holds onto. But will not then get back to you for your use.

And their support people just say that nothing will be changed.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,111 Member
    Options
    @Thorbjornn is correct. The calorie total is wrong. And its nothing to do with whether the macro values in a food is correct. (Well, OK, that will of course matter, but that's not the fundamental problem.)

MFP just don't do the calorie calculations correctly. ie the same way that EVERYONE ELSE DOES THEM.

Below I refer to Premium as an example of this.

If you set your macros in MFP premium, ie a certain amount of protein, carbs, fat, then MFP will give you a calorie value for your day. But if YOU actually do the math on what you've entered for macros, then the MFP calorie value is incorrect. Often by hundreds of calories. The problem starts right at the beginning, with MFP not providing anything actually useful for Premium. And in fact, providing WRONG information from the start.

Rant: No one should be paying MFP for Premium. They don't care to give us actually useful information, nor to let us export that information in any format that we can actually use. And they actively don't care. I have demonstrated problems to them, and also actual graphs and tools that would help everyone in their goals. And all those graphs are easily created from existing data that you have entered, and MFP holds onto. But will not then get back to you for your use.

And their support people just say that nothing will be changed.

You've resurrected an ancient thread. I'm not sure what you think MFP is calculating incorrectly, do you have an example?
    I don't really see what it has to do with premium, premium just gives you more freedom to manage your macro goals.

The reasons why calories sometimes don't add up in MFP:
    - incorrect database entries
    - rounding issues
    - different types of carb counting: US for example includes fiber in carbs but fiber has 0 or 2kcal per gram (in the EU fiber doesn't count as carbs)
    - alcohol isn't one of the three macros, but does contain calories