Questions for American folks...

Options

Replies

• theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    If I had to rattle off all of the states to someone, I could not. I can, however, remember every word to every product jingle and tv themesong from the 80s. That is troubling.
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    We typically know all the states.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Every American can name ALL the states.
  • andrea464
    andrea464 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Don't know that I remember all of the states.
    Also had to learn all of our counties in my state (NC). There are 100! Don't remember them all either!
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    How many of you know the names of all of the states? Do you get it drilled in to you at school?
    I'm British and I couldn't name all of our counties to save my life...

Know all of the names of the states (honestly there's a song - but I do get tripped up after Ms. writing is easier). Can spell them and label them on a blank map. Can tell you at least a little about all of them. Can tell you MOST capital cities (I've forgotten some over the years!)

Counties in my state: there are 83. I only remember that because it was the year I was born! I couldn't name half of them (or locate them) for a million dollars.

A place I think our educational system failed us (in regards to our country) is with the Presidents. I think I could go back to Franklin D. Roosevelt and then I'd be absolutely lost...at least until I got to Washington ;) My mom on the other hand can name them in less than 30 seconds flat but probably would take longer to tell you the states!)

ETA: They failed me in spelling, too. Capital should be that and not capitol.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    We are supposed to learn all fifty states and their capitals, but honestly, geography for me was a blur because I was too focused on the boys. :heart:
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I know them. How do you drink so much tea over there in the constant rain in london???I could never..
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I also learned a song for all the presidents in order. Killed the curve on an extra credit question in high school history. ;)

LOL! I'm going to Google right now (why I never thought of it before!) This amazes me...
  • VeganSurfer
    VeganSurfer Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I know them. How do you drink so much tea over there in the constant rain in london???I could never..

We don't all live in London :noway:
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Yes. The state capitals I'm a bit iffy on though.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options

We don't all live in London :noway:

That's the joke.
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Bump to show the minions later.
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Options
    They do but I can't remember. It was not my strong subject and capitals....yeah no, never learned those.
  • marthajo1
    marthajo1 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I know the name of every state and every capital of each state. And I can do it in alpha order. My third grade teacher drilled it into us. But it stuns me when people in America don't know where the heck other states are located. How is that possible?
  • GrnEyz80
    GrnEyz80 Posts: 121
    Options
    I still remember the 50 States song I learned in 5th grade. The problem now is that, if I want to remember all of them, I have to sing it to myself and I feel like a dork. :laugh:

there's a song?! Man that would have been helpful!!!
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    I knew all 50 but when I saw your pic I forgot 26.
  • MichelleZannone
    Options
    My nephew ( 9 years old) has memorized all the states and capitols. He challenges his whole 3rd grade class and can beat them all. We are now working on presidents.:bigsmile:
  • 5walters
    5walters Posts: 32
    Options
    Yes I know them all and their capitols. Which comes in handy bn as my kiddos are now having to learn them.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I have them all memorized. But only because there was this really old female Okinawan bartender that would give you a free beer if you could write them all down (she could - with capitals). I got a free beer almost every weekend for 3 years. ;)

We didn't memorize them in school - we studied each of them for a couple days (geography, economy, etc) and learned the circumstances of how they were admitted to the union. But we didn't memorize lists or anything. Presidents neither (and I could think of nothing more useless than memorizing a list of ex-presidents.)
  • lclemur
    lclemur Posts: 11
    Options
    Here in California, it is in 5th grade. States and Capitols. There is usually a written report involved.