new baby and i have no time to eat...

Options

Replies

• JennChamb
    JennChamb Posts: 55
    Options
    Oatmeal. Quick, healthy and great for milk supply if you're nursing.
    I have a 2.5 mth old, 2yr old and 3.5yr old. It's tough as my husband works 11hr/day and all cooking, cleaning, bathing, etc is on me. Plus I'm a full time student Online. But as suggested above try preparing the night before or cooking in bulk for a few days. If you want add me and take a look at my food diary. It gets easier. I'm a n exclusive breastfeeding/cosleeping/baby wearing mama. I get ya.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    When both of my girls were very young, I would take some time when I had an extra pair of hands and prepare snack bags, pre-measured portions of whatever I wanted to eat.
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    This may be a personal question but do you have a spouse or significant other that can take care of your baby while you take 15 minutes to eat something? I mean, I've had two babies (one was colicky and screamed for 12 weeks straight) but I always found time to eat. I took advantage of naps and bedtime, and my husband helped a lot. Find healthy snacks that can be prepared ahead of time (hard-boiled eggs, sliced fruit, bags of nuts and dried berries). Those things can be eaten while you're holding a baby.

Also, have you considered getting a pack to carry your baby in? Sometimes, I would carry my collicky baby in the front pack while I cooked or cleaned. With my hands free, I could do what I wanted.

Make some time for yourself or you're going to lose your mind. And if you have an SO, make some time for him/her, too. They seem to get lost in the shuffle sometimes.

Good luck to you!
  • JennChamb
    JennChamb Posts: 55
    Options

You burn more calories when you are breastfeeding. Much more than preparing a bottle of formula. Formula fed babies generally feed less often too. If you're not going to be helpful, why are you even commenting on a post that is explicitly asking for help.

Again, I'm looking at her logs. There are plenty of days with an abundance of calories. Are these overages not enough to account for breastfeeding? Please, inform me if I'm wrong.

Unless you have given birth and breastfed I would just let it be. Obviously she's asking for other moms who've been in this situation for their advice.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    Again, I'm looking at her logs. There are plenty of days with an abundance of calories. Are these overages not enough to account for breastfeeding? Please, inform me if I'm wrong.

At least 500 additional calories are to be consumed while exclusively breastfeeding. As many as 800 may be necessary during the first few weeks of nursing a newborn.

I won't comment directly on the thread right now, but thought I'd offer my unsolicited commentary.
  • DancesWithBirds
    DancesWithBirds Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Baby wearing! Saved my life with my two!

I would look into woven wraps and ring slings. My favorite was a mei tai carrier that was super easy to use, but it was hard to nurse in. With a sling or a wrap you can wrap them in such a way that they are getting cuddled and held but your hands are free, and you can even nurse them while you walk and work. It takes practice, but it works great!

If you do some Google searches you should be able to find some great baby wearing groups. There are exchanges, too, where you can get a used wrap or sling for cheap. And a lot of support.

(And it's so much better than lugging a baby carrier or a stroller around with you when you're out of the house, too!)
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I don't have a baby, but i was wondering if maybe just laying her down and letting her cry? I know it sounds harsh, but maybe if she doesn't get your constant attention she'll cry less? It could be wishful thinking on my part, but even if it was for 15 mins so you could have a decent meal, you would know the baby is safe, just a little unhappy.

If you don't like that idea, ask the friend who gave you the sling to help you get it on the first time.

Or you can do what my mom did...she handed me off to Grandpa in his rocking chair while she finished up her PHD.

I think you are amazing for having 3 kids. and congrats on the new little one.
  • GnomeQueen84
    GnomeQueen84 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hold her in one arm and prepare your food with the other, or get one of those fancy slings. Also, if they want to whine a little while you fix your food, let them. It's really not going to hurt them, as long as they are changed, fed, etc.

- Mom of twins.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    poor you. your child wants attention.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    You just make time... You'll get into a groove soon and figure out the timing.
    More lean protein and veggies would be good for you and baby.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    Yes, the days i was over would account for breastfeeding.. they were also the days my husband was still on paternity leave. He went back yesterday which was the day my deficit was 1500. No where near enough for breastfeeding.
  • flitabout
    flitabout Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I just looked at your diary for the past week. You definitely have time to eat. This thread is pointless.

Well your a man and you have not nor ever will have a baby. Those first few months with a new baby are rough! Please don't comment on something you don't have any clue about I have 4 kids and eating is the last thing you think about when you bring a baby home. Showers always seemed so much more important.

Now to the actual topic get a moby slings suck. The kangaroo hold is the best! You can get away with breastfeeding in public and nobody will have a clue! I can clean my whole house cook dinner and eat it and never have to put the baby down other than to change a diaper. I wish I had discovered moby's way sooner than on my 4th baby.
    Yes get lots of frozen microwave meals popcorn canned soups and cereal. These will save your life! Right now don't worry about how much you eat just eat healthy and eat! You are still establision your milk supply. so right now losing is not your issue give yourself time to heal from birth. Your uterus hasn't even fully contracted back down to normal yet! Give yourself a break. You made a beautiful baby! I took 9 months to put it on it will take at least that long to get it back off if you are taking care of yourself right. Cause let's face it most of us don't have the money or the support to have somebody else take care of our babies so we can spend 4 hours a day in the gym and a personal chef! My baby is almost 3 and I am still trying to get that last 30's or so off! You'll get there. But in the meantime eat Momma!!!!!!!
  • Lightjulesloves2run
    Lightjulesloves2run Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I totally understand..that was me last year. I had a 11 yr old, an 8 yr old, a 1 yr old, and a newborn. A fussy newborn who I had to hold 24/7. Moby wrap saved my life. Fruit, toast, yogurt, nuts, carrot sticks with pb, protein shakes. It will get easier, hang in there! Love,Jules
  • ripemango
    ripemango Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    don't think i could add more about food choices. surely some1 mentioned smoothies, right?

wraps: the moby wrap was very helpful but very frustrating to get just right. spend the money and get a good 1. if i had it do over again (or if i do have another 1) i'll get a baby hawk or an ergo.

also congrats on the new baby :))
  • GnomeQueen84
    Options
    Maybe instead of typing on the forums here, you could be preparing food for tomorrow? I assume your kid is asleep and not attached to you since you have one or two free hands to type? Just pointing out the obvious though.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I don't have a baby, but i was wondering if maybe just laying her down and letting her cry? I know it sounds harsh, but maybe if she doesn't get your constant attention she'll cry less? It could be wishful thinking on my part, but even if it was for 15 mins so you could have a decent meal, you would know the baby is safe, just a little unhappy.

If you don't like that idea, ask the friend who gave you the sling to help you get it on the first time.

Or you can do what my mom did...she handed me off to Grandpa in his rocking chair while she finished up her PHD.

So you think it's okay to let a 2 week old just cry? They're not crying for attention, they are crying because they have a need. They are hungry, they need their bum changed, they simply need to be held (and yes, I do firmly believe that it is a need to be touched, at any age). There is a time for independence, 2 weeks is not it.

OP, keep trying various slings and wraps. I loved loved loved my baby hawk, and my ergo when the girls were a bit older.
  • Dulcemami4ever
    Dulcemami4ever Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    You are going to have an even more rough time if you are always constantly holding baby. When I had my daughter, if I was not feeding her or having play time and mommy baby time, I had her laying down in a safe place, where I could watch her. She grew up not needing to be held every 5 minutes. When you breastfeed you are bonding with your baby. If he/she cries every time you put her down it could be because you are enforcing that type of reaction. You need time to take care of other things. Getting the correct nutrition and handling other important things daily is something you need to be able to balance. It's hard because the baby is so young, but if you don't put into practice not holding her every second of the day, you are going to be in for some hard times :(

As far as food is concerned, make some low cal tuna salad and put it into some wraps. Crackers, fruits, yogurts are good in moderation. Almonds are great as well. You can also get a slow cooker and have dinner set in one pot. I wish you luck and congratz on the new baby.
  • GnomeQueen84
    Options

So you think it's okay to let a 2 week old just cry? They're not crying for attention, they are crying because they have a need. They are hungry, they need their bum changed, they simply need to be held (and yes, I do firmly believe that it is a need to be touched, at any age). There is a time for independence, 2 weeks is not it.

OP, keep trying various slings and wraps. I loved loved loved my baby hawk, and my ergo when the girls were a bit older.

She's talking about 15 minutes...not letting them cry alone in a dark room for hours! LOL.
  • Textmessage
    Textmessage Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I just looked at your diary for the past week. You definitely have time to eat. This thread is pointless.

Well your a man and you have not nor ever will have a baby. Those first few months with a new baby are rough! Please don't comment on something you don't have any clue about I have 4 kids and eating is the last thing you think about when you bring a baby home. Showers always seemed so much more important.

While I've never breastfed and don't know the physical taxation on the body it causes, I've spent many long hours tending to my kids. You can't discount that in regards to the topic at hand of not having time to eat.

Thanks for paying attention to the thread though. ;)
  • Textmessage
    Textmessage Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Maybe instead of typing on the forums here, you could be preparing food for tomorrow? I assume your kid is asleep and not attached to you since you have one or two free hands to type? Just pointing out the obvious though.

I was thinking this earlier as well. The last few months the OP didn't even log food but has 2.5k+ posts. Makes a lot of sense. :P