Healthier Pancake Syrup Options

Options
fausto412
fausto412 Posts: 100 Member
What do you guys use? I'm trying to find a healthier option than my Aunt Jemima.

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Cut up fresh fruit w/a drizzle of honey

Peanut butter w/bananas and/or raisins

Sugar free preserves/jam
  • flitabout
    flitabout Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I either use real syrup or I make my own out of berries. My recipe ( this may not actually be healthy just healthier) ;) But I use a pound of frozen berries which ever strike my fancy that day about a 1/2-1cup of water and a cup of powered sugar. Mix the water and the sugar in a sauce pan then add the frozen berries and bring to a boil until you get the thickness you want you may need to add a tablespoon or so of corn starch but always mix that with cold water before adding to the cooking syrup and add a bit of lemon juice to taste and it makes a tun and tastes amazing! You could also sub the sugar for stevia and just straight go with the corn starch but I haven't tried it yet so no guarantees on the taste of it.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I use lite syrup and measure it out so I don't put too much....
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I take 1 pint of blackberries, raspberries and blueberries and I smash them with a fork while they're simmering on medium heat. I add 1tbsp chia seeds and 1-2TBSP real maple syrup from Costco depending on how sweet you like it. If you don' t want to make something just buy real maple syrup, the aunt jemima stuff isn't maple syrup at all :(
  • dfonte
    dfonte Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Walden Farms - No calories
  • fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I like Cary's Sugar Free syrup. It tastes really good, just like real maple syrup, though it is not quite as thick. I get mine at Super Target. There are 30 calories in 1/4 cup, which I think is a very generous serving.

Just be aware that it is sweetened with malatol and some people don't tolerate that particular artificial sweetener very well. I have no problems with it, but it tends to give some people cramps and/or diarrhea.
  • thefewsteps
    thefewsteps Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    unsweetened baking cocoa, NSA jam/jelly, fresh mashed blueberries (or any fruit).
  • fausto412
    Options
    I use lite syrup and measure it out so I don't put too much....

what you use to measure?
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Vermont's sugar free maple syrup. 15 calories for 1/4 cup.
  • arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I use ED. Smith no sugar added syrup. 1 table spoon is only 10 cals 2 carbs and 25 sodium.
  • fausto412
    Options
    Walden Farms - No calories

and then i go to fooducate and find this
    http://www.fooducate.com/app#page=product&id=4134EF46-E10F-11DF-A102-FEFD45A4D471
    " Contains controversial artificial sweeteners
    There is controversy as to the safety of artificial sweeteners consumed over a long period of time. Some studies have linked artificial sweeteners to cancer and other diseases.

If you are consuming artificial sweetened food as a means to reduce calories and lose weight, please consider switching to a less sweet state of mind. Getting your palate used to less sweetened foods over the course of several months will save you the hassle of deciding between extra calories and risk of cancer. "

so close...but i would rather not even get close to anything cancer. thanks for the suggestion though...i never heard of that brand out here in texas.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    What do you guys use? I'm trying to find a healthier option than my Aunt Jemima.

Real grade A maple syrup
  • livinlavidaloco
    Options
    Natural peanut butter, sliced bananas and drizzle on a little raw honey...yum :smile:
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options

Real grade A maple syrup
    Yes!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options

Real grade A maple syrup
    Yes!
    ditto
  • Frank_Just_Frank
    Frank_Just_Frank Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is a "healthy" option :) just get some real maple syrop and dont have it too often.
  • sarahthin
    sarahthin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I use whatever fruit sounds good and microwave it until it is the thickness I like. Just remember to use a cup about 3 times the size because it will boil over. No added water, sugar or maple syrup
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is a "healthy" option :) just get some real maple syrop and dont have it too often.
    Yup, people always confuse healthy with calories.
  • dfonte
    dfonte Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Excellent point about healthy and calories though being confused by people though. Even I assumed the original poster meant calories when he mentioned healthier. I still stand by my Walden Farms. If I can get rid of 20 grams of carbs - it is a much healthier choice to me personally. Healthy isn't a standard, it varies from person to person.
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options

Real grade A maple syrup

^^THIS ^^