Healthier Pancake Syrup Options

Options

Replies

• luan999
    luan999 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    i use the sweetbird sugar free vanilla or sugar free caramel syrups on my pancakes...yummy!!!!
  • minivegrunner
    Options
    peanut butter! Its soo yummy on pancakes! If you put it on when there hot it gets all melty. I usually top it with strawberries and blueberries tooo. so good!
  • grantsmommy
    grantsmommy Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I only use pure maple syrup. Yes it is more calories, but it doesn't have junk in it!
  • Crosbinium
    Crosbinium Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I have become a fan of putting unsweetened cinnamon applesauce on my pancakes and waffles
  • dfonte
    dfonte Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Good idea. I'm going to use PB2 in my case, but same thing.
  • sailawaykate
    Options
    Go buy some grade B from your local farmer's market! When I'm not feeling the sweet, peanut butter & applesauce are also delicious.
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Vermont's sugar free maple syrup. 15 calories for 1/4 cup.

I'm going to have to look into that! Currently I use one tablespoon of real maple syrup drizzled over Cool whip and fresh berries. YUM!!!
  • Ralphone
    Ralphone Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    log cabin sugar free
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I only use pure maple syrup. Yes it is more calories, but it doesn't have junk in it!
    High in some good minerals, too. Maple syrup is extremely sweet, so I find I only need a tablespoon or two for my pancakes. Whereas the fake kind needs to be applied with a ladle.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    save room for peanut butter and nutella.

you're welcome.
  • skinnytayy
    skinnytayy Posts: 459
    Options
    This is what I use:

- Real maple syrup
    - Honey
    - Strawberry Compote, sort of ... I take strawberries and a little honey (maybe a tbsp) and heat them together over medium for a few minutes then reduce to low for about 10 minutes. Sooo good! You could use whatever berries or something like peaches. =)

Sometimes I'll do thin pancakes (think crepe like) and layer them with greek yogurt and the strawberry compote thing I mentioned above. Heavenly!!!
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I take frozen berries and heat them in the microwave. Then mash them and pour them on my pacakes.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened apple sauce, about 50 cal for 1/2 cup. Surprisingly good.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    The healthiest sweetener on the planet is Xagave! (Xagave.com available at Sam's Clubs.) It is low glycemic (good for diabetics), raw, vegan, gluten free, and tastes incredible.

It contains natural inulin pre-biotic fiber and calcium. This is the agave on the market that is cold pressed so it maintains its live enzymes and vitamins/minerals. Most agaves in the marketplace have been highly processed at high temperatures making them worse then high fructose corn syrup.

It is three times sweeter then sugar..so you use much less of it for your pancakes, waffles, oatmeal, cereal, tea, coffee and for all your baking and cooking.

It is a liquid sweetener second to none. It is eating a green plant that looks like an aloe vera plant.

By the way..I would not use honey..it is high glycemic..about 85 on the glycemic scale right below sugar. Even the purest of honeys organic etc. are about 65. Xagave is about 30 on the glycemic scale.

If you make lemonade from Xagave and add cinnamon and cayenne pepper..you have a real weight loss healthy drink.

You will love it and can help you lose more weight.

Is Agave Healthier Than Sugar?

But what about agave's supposed health benefits?

The bottom line is that refined agave sweeteners are not inherently healthier than sugar, honey, high-fructose corn syrup, or any other sweetener. Nutritionally and functionally, agave syrup is similar to high-fructose corn syrup and sucrose (Karo) syrup. It does contain small amounts of calcium, potassium, and magnesium, but not enough to matter nutritionally.--http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/the-truth-about-agave

This Sweetener Is Far Worse Than High Fructose Corn Syrup --http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mercola/agave-this-sweetener-is-f_b_537936.html
  • fausto412
    fausto412 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I eat my pancakes with fresh lemon juice and a sprinkle of sugar. It's lovely and tangy/sweet

you drink the juice or you pour it on the pancakes? lemon juice and pancakes just never occurred to me...will have to try that!
  • fausto412
    Options
    I use real 100% Pure Maple Syrup. The taste is so much richer that in doesn't take drowning it. I know that it is healthy and close to nature. Used in moderation. Besides if I am splurging for pancakes, waffles or french toast... I'm going all the way.

My philosophy is there are certain foods that real is better any day, any time. Syrup is one. Butter is another. I make my calorie choice accordingly for the rest of the day. :)

I do agree with your philosophy....

so many suggested real maple syrup that I will have to look some up on fooducate and try at least 1. I don't think i've ever had it.
  • fausto412
    Options
    90% of the time I eat my pancakes with nothing on them. I make awesome pancakes; they don't need to be slathered in sugar to taste delicious. Sometimes I top them with peanut or almond butter or some jam. Sometimes I top them with banana slices and a little dusting of powdered sugar.

When I want maple syrup, I eat it - the real stuff. If you use a scale or measuring spoon, you can control portions easily. There is no Aunt Jemima or 'sugar free maple syrup' (what an oxymoron!) in our house. Real foods, in moderation, are what I consider healthy.

I do agree that moderation is key. But some stuff you can do better on if you look for better options which is my i created this post. moderation + a better option= win!
  • gp72dpr
    gp72dpr Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Don't deprive yourself. Add frozen raspberries or blueberries and add a quarter of the syrup you normally use. Microwave the syrup and berries and mash the berries.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I just use real maple syrup. Not a low cal option but its the real stuff from the tree and not a its of man,add ingredients
  • fausto412
    Options
    so many suggestions i never even considered... we always have apple sauce here for the kids so i will give that a shot too. I'm working on changing the eating habits in the house but it's a one man mission. Hoping I can add fresh strawberrys and blueberries to the stuff i buy more often.

Thank you for all the great ideas and suggestions