body image issues! help :(

Options
2»

Replies

• jjscholar
    jjscholar Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I don't blame you... I had a melt down the other night in front of a couple of my friends because I weighed in at 180.4 lbs that morning and I am a 6 ft tall male... I almost wanted to call my primary care doctor and tell him I wanted to be put on prescription diet pills or buy over the counter diet pill, or buy over the counter water pills, or even buy laxatives ...

I find my self wishing that I could have a BMI of only 18 which for me translates into a body weight of less than 134 lbs... I have this distorted view that if I were really thin more women would want to go out with me... I know that is messed up... BTW I am not glorifying extreme thinness...

On the other hand, I try to fight my dark tendencies... The lowest I have weighed is about 171 lbs... The only thing that I can say is that you may need to seek professional help...
  • gel91
    gel91 Posts: 309
    Options
    Do you think that if you had a slice of pizza you would binge? Or would 1 piece be enough to satisfy your cravings?

It's not nice to think maybe you won't ever be able to enjoy the bad food ever again because of bingeing. You see I try not to limit myself because when I do eventually give in and let myself get say a cake, I won't have a slice but the whole thing, literally! So I find it better to eat it more little and often.
    Because if I know I'm getting chocolate today but then not again for weeks, I'll want to make the most of it, where as if I had to wait a few days it's not so bad to be good.

& Jjscholar, you look like you are a healthy weight too me!!
  • 17forbes
    17forbes Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I believe that MFP is not just about your weight or how you look but your fitness level and how that makes you feel.
    Your mind and heart are very important organs that need proper nutrition and exercise to help them function at its best, I think your focus should go on a healthy heart and mind not on how good you look in the mirror the rest will follow.
    Good luck and keep safe.
    talk to your GP if you think things are getting out of hand.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I don't blame you... I had a melt down the other night in front of a couple of my friends because I weighed in at 180.4 lbs that morning and I am a 6 ft tall male... I almost wanted to call my primary care doctor and tell him I wanted to be put on prescription diet pills or buy over the counter diet pill, or buy over the counter water pills, or even buy laxatives ...

I find my self wishing that I could have a BMI of only 18 which for me translates into a body weight of less than 134 lbs... I have this distorted view that if I were really thin more women would want to go out with me... I know that is messed up... BTW I am not glorifying extreme thinness...

On the other hand, I try to fight my dark tendencies... The lowest I have weighed is about 171 lbs... The only thing that I can say is that you may need to seek professional help...

180lbs and 6ft tall if VERY slim for a man. You deserve to be healthy and strong, not skinny and decrepit. Im a 5ft2 female and I weigh more than 134lbs, come on man! Treat your body with respect, it deserves it and so do you!
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    also my other friend kinda got into instagram, fitspo and thinspo world, and she is constantly comparing herself to those fit people! this will sound wrong but sometimes i wish it didn't exist.

Bumping your thread natasha! :flowerforyou:

And I follow sooo many fitspos on instagram, it kills me :( I should really stop..
  • Lexandrea
    Lexandrea Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    You sound like me! I wish I could look like that...but my body isn't build that way....:(
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    When I was a teenager I had a body similar to you but maybe not as tall. I was as perfect as I could be for my body type and I wasn't happy still so I ended up with what I class as a mild eating disorder. Now at 47 I'm still not happy with my body but I realise I'm never going to have the body I want since I'm a perfectionist.. Don't waste your life like I did. Be happy with you NOW! We are humans not robots. We can't ever be perfect.
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I suggest you watch on youtube "Pretty
    " by Katie Makkai.

Careful she drops an ef bomb in it
  • rachjenn
    rachjenn Posts: 87
    Options
    Hiya,
    My boyfriend's sister got obsessed & now sees a therapist who is helping her work through things - maybe this might help you?

Celebs have personal trainers & people to make their food - they don't live lives like the rest of us!
  • jessicasloan91
    jessicasloan91 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I feel the same, although this website was good for me to initially lose weight ( I really did need to I was 175 lbs ) it has created so many self esteem issues! I don't remember ever being this concerned about my appearance before MFP days!
  • carolynamador
    Options
    I happen to know of a few celebrities and they struggle with image issues as well. They only wish they could look as good in person as they do on film and in pictures. Hang in there. Do what makes YOU feel good about yourself. In fact, sometimes it's necessary to put away all photos, mirrors, etc to remind you of what makes you feel bad. Just keep on and you will get, not necessarily where you WANT to be, but where you NEED to be. :)
  • zumbajheri
    zumbajheri Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I'm a therapist, and I think it couldn't hurt to talk with someone before it becomes a bigger problem. My sister in law was going overboard and her hair fell out, and the doctors said her levels were all outta wack. She basically was malnourished from not eating and exercising on top of that. Good luck to you.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Realise celebs even the ones we think are most gorgeous look crap in real life when they wake up too!
  • ChubbyMummy18
    Options
    Try to find happiness in other aspects of your life. I also deal with major body image issues. I, however, have not mastered conrolling my eating and exercising to help me look better yet. BUT I can tell you that if you try to find happiness elsewhere, you will focus less on what your body looks like. Put time into hanging out with friends and family, start a home decor or art project, read books, etc. My body is far from perfect (I know it won't ever be perfect because it's unrealistic for me to think that way), but if I take a step back and look at my life as a whole, I realize that how my body looks is only one small factor in all of the ones that make me who I am. When I focus my energy into spending time with my kids, husband, family, and my art (I'm a stay-at-home-mom, but I have my degree to be an art teacher), I forget all about my low self-esteem. And those things all actually make me feel better about myself!! I hope this helps you in some way. Even though you and I deal with our body image issues differently (you use extreme control and I don't have any control--I binge eat a lot), I think we could really help each other out. Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like. When you're dealing with body image issues, fitness takes on a whole new level of complication.
  • Nutella91
    Nutella91 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    thanks to all of you... i will try my best to stop obsessing, maybe even seek professional help if nothing else works.
  • Nutella91
    Options

It's not nice to think maybe you won't ever be able to enjoy the bad food ever again because of bingeing. You see I try not to limit myself because when I do eventually give in and let myself get say a cake, I won't have a slice but the whole thing, literally! So I find it better to eat it more little and often.
    Because if I know I'm getting chocolate today but then not again for weeks, I'll want to make the most of it, where as if I had to wait a few days it's not so bad to be good.

i agree with every word.
  • ahobden12
    Options
    Eat in moderation and exercise 3 times per week or more to be healthy depending on your preference. Don't exercise too much. Being anorexic isn't good.:smile:
  • kkzmom11
    kkzmom11 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Nutella, I struggle with body image just like you. However, I saw a photo on Pinterest of a Barbie doll's measurements and what she would look like as a person, and a normal sized person. I am shocked that i wanted to look like that Barbie, because she is ABSOLUTELY sick looking. like a concentration camp survivor. that picture opened my eyes. i still want to lose weight and be healthy, but not at the expense of looking like that Barbie picture. I will take my curves and rolls anytime.
  • IHTSM
    IHTSM Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    you're not alone - I also have these exact same struggles. I don't know what the answer is, but I started going to a doctor and nutritionist once every 1-2 weeks (for about a year now) and that has really helped me tremendously! I still obsess though, and I feel guilty if I eat something I consider "bad", but I think it is a slow process, probably for life. I think some people have already mentioned it but, finding happiness might be a key, and balance. If I analyze the priorities in my life right now, they look like this:
    career, exercise, food, sleep, and low down on the list somewhere is friends, family (sadly....). I am starting to realize that this is screwed up and I am not happy! So I am trying to change the order. Also, I am figuring out that my job is very stressful and not that rewarding - this might be adding to my anxiety. I am going to quit my job and travel the world (in July) until I find my inner peace.

I guess I'm saying you would have absolutely nothing to lose by trying professional help, and everything to gain. And I am here for you (with you) if you need support.
  • Nutella91
    Options
    wow thanks! and it's so awesome that you're gonna travel around the world.
    the thing is, everything in my life is going pretty much the way i want it, i get good grades, i have fun, i have the most awesome housemates and friends, and i'm the "baby" of the family so i feel loved all the time. i don't have a boyfriend but that's because i haven't found anyone i like so far...
    and for some reason i have to feel miserable about something, so i'm torturing my body and my mind like this.