1200 calories and feeling hungry

Options
2»

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,353 Member
    Options
    I exercise SO I can eat. I burn off 400 a day on gym machines and eat it all back. That's a whole extra meal, otherwise I would be starving! That gives me a total count of 1640. Most days I eat 1700. The only time I feel hungry is late afternoon so I have a 200 calorie snack and count it in my total. So. - 300 breakfast, 400 lunch, 200 snack, 400 dinner, 100 alcohol, 200 dessert which I have nearer bedtime to stop hunger pangs, could be cheese if not dessert, and 100 allowance for semi skimmed milk. - I'm British so drink a lot of tea with milk. I eat really well and feel full. I have lost 40 lbs and no longer get the 'hypos' I used to get when I was fat. It can be done, just do the exercise! If you can't exercise because you are severely disabled then you do have to cut back a lot more and fill up on veg. Lots of veg soup etc.
    Hope this helps. I used be be an always hungry person, feeling faint if I didn't eat, not so now.
  • sjj3002
    sjj3002 Posts: 10
    Options
    I had the same problem when I started with 1200 calorie diet. Give few more days, Our body takes time to adjust to the shock of eating so low. Try to add raw veggies like celery nd fruits like apple(small - 55 calories), blueberries, papaya which are very low in calories. Eat small portion throughout the day and see if it helps. And above all, listen to your body. Eat extra calories and burn it off. All the Best on your weightloss journey.
  • jakkisr
    jakkisr Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I started MFP this week too :) though I'd been doing the Hairy Bikers diet last week as a kick-start. I don't eat processed foods and struggled to think of healthy things to top me up to 1200 calories seeing as I've reduced the amount of olive oil I regularly use drastically. I've found the actual nutrition data very helpful in working out a balanced diet eg my carbs were coming mainly from fruit (and I'm not good with fruit due to allergies) and that I was having very little fiber and a lower amount of protein.

I'm now making sure I have a balanced menu and snacks for the day that cover my nutrients AND stay within the 1200 calories. I'm not being so strict on the oil either as there are recommendations that you should have the same number of g as your bodyweight each day ie I'm 137lbs so recommended to have 137g .... personally I think that wouldn't help me lose weight lol! but I and allowing myself to go over the 40g on MFP by a little.

I guess its normal to feel hungry until the stomach shrinks a bit from eating larger portions? I don't know, I'm not a veteran dieter, but it is getting easier and I'm less hungry now I'm consciously thinking of the nutrients and not just the calories :smile:
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Helllllooooo! You are definitely a newbie :) haha, dw lots of us have been there

But now its time to educate yourself and learn how to eat the right amount for you

READ this
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833500-what-do-i-do-common-sense-cliff-notes

and

WATCH this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYi9xjIRvbY

Best of luck

:flowerforyou:
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I'd change your goal to lose 1lb per week, see what it gives you. I have mine set to lose 1lb per week and then I do not eat exercise calories back. I feel this works well for me.

Zara