Replies

• Cheeky_0102
    Cheeky_0102 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    our standard order (for the two of us)

sashimi appetizer - basically pieces of raw fish tuna and salmon

unagi roll - bbq eel. SO nom
    dynamite roll - tempura shrimp and roe
    Yam roll - I went a long time eating sushi and never had a yam roll, totally regret that.
    spicy tuna roll, or tuna, or salmon - just raw fish and rice and seaweed

today I had a bento box - basically like a lunch platter. I'm STILL feeling full and bloaty from it. The soya sauce took me out.
    I probably won't eat sushi for a while for that reason,
  • IIISpartacusIII
    IIISpartacusIII Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I hate to admit, but I've never had sushi before. I'm actually kind of intimidated by it.

What would people recommend for a sushi virgin? Things to avoid? (I have NO idea what the calorie counts are on this type of food, but I'm contemplating ordering some for dinner and hoping I have room to fit a fair selection in!)

I recommend that you invite me to lots of Sushi restaurants and I'll go ahead and "take care of" the sushi you feel intimidated by. I'm quite fearless when it comes to sushi so this is perfect for me.
  • Luvmesumkenny
    Luvmesumkenny Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Sushi is my favorite! I would start with rolls as opposed to sashimi. California rolls and shrimp tempura rolls aren't very scary because crab and shrimp are things you probably eat already. I would try rolls with tuna, salmon, and avocado. When I'm trying to eat fewer carbs, I go for sashimi and miso soup, but I would start with some rolls if you're not used to sushi.

EXACTLY THIS!!!!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    If you're anywhere near a Wegmans, try their Skinny California Roll. 100 calories for the pack, and a great intro to sushi, especially if you don't love rice (like me).

This! I love them, although it's 140 calories and 'skinny rainbow wrap' at mine (with salmon, avocado and tuna). Best snack ever.

For a new person yeah I'd try the california rolls with imitation crab first probably. The reason a lot of sushi are high calories is the salmon really.
  • JVCB
    JVCB Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    This website lists calorie counts for all types of Sushi: http://www.sushifaq.com/sushi-health/calories-in-sushi/

I just used it, because I bought some takeout nigiri for lunch today; They made it with brown rice at my request (yay!)
    I notice they also list calories for the sushi sold at Whole Foods market. Dunno if it's right, but it may be safer/better than using the MFP Database, which is filled with all kinds of crazy entries. :noway:
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Sushi is my favorite! I would start with rolls as opposed to sashimi. California rolls and shrimp tempura rolls aren't very scary because crab and shrimp are things you probably eat already. I would try rolls with tuna, salmon, and avocado. When I'm trying to eat fewer carbs, I go for sashimi and miso soup, but I would start with some rolls if you're not used to sushi.

absolutely this in total! Love love love sushi and sashimi but start with the cooked things first and then experiment with tuna and other types. I still can't stomach any of the "chewy" ones. Have fun:wink:
  • planomania
    Options
    Well, I've never met a sushi I didn't like. :) I started eating it as a little kid, thanks to our Japanese neighbour.
    We started off with all veggie rolls (my mom makes them with avocado, cucumber, and slivers of carrot).

The best sushi I ever had was shrimp and mango with the little fish eggs on the outside. Yum!

Another favorite is Spicy Cowboy (I don't know what it's called other places).
  • katiepegasus
    katiepegasus Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Eel avocado & tempura shrimp sushi.. yummmm
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Try a blue crab roll...and now after reading this thread I'm craving sushi
  • cng31183
    cng31183 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Dragon rolls are my favourite the crab is cooked and the masago ( fish eggs) is sweet but you can easily scrape them off if your afraid. I was at first. Then when you get brave you can try one tiny little Leicester and you discover they are sooo good.
  • angel_of_harmony
    angel_of_harmony Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    My favorite is anything with spicy mayo or eel sauce. As a newbie I would recommend a cucumber roll or a California roll since neither of those have sashimi and are good for you calorie/fat wise.
  • Munchkin_fyi
    Munchkin_fyi Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    jeezus this post is making my mouth waterrrr :embarassed:
  • Susanthecatwhisperer
    Susanthecatwhisperer Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I really like sushi, but don't know the names of most of them. I suggest doing what I do. Go with friends who like sushi, and ask them for suggestions, or share a large platter of different kinds. My hubby won't eat sushi, but knew a guy who has a restaurant that serves sushi, so when we go there, I just ask for his recommendation. I usually like salmon and tuna. There's one phenomenal one that has a (cooked) lobster claw in it...yum!!
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I hate to admit, but I've never had sushi before. I'm actually kind of intimidated by it.

What would people recommend for a sushi virgin? Things to avoid? (I have NO idea what the calorie counts are on this type of food, but I'm contemplating ordering some for dinner and hoping I have room to fit a fair selection in!)

I recommend that you invite me to lots of Sushi restaurants and I'll go ahead and "take care of" the sushi you feel intimidated by. I'm quite fearless when it comes to sushi so this is perfect for me.

A sushi wing-man. I like it.
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    think of it as rice + seaweed + some extras....

IMO California roll, tempura roll etc is a gross Americanisation of a beautiful food. I am a sashimi addict, would have it every second day most weeks (quite literally)!

If you are someone who knows a food that you do or don't like, then make sure you simply don't pick sushi with that in it :) I personally don't like california rolls because they're a bit dry and I don't like the super processed crab meat, so maybe a better option would be one with tuna inside (like tinned tuna, I assume that's a common type in the US?)

As for moving onto sashimi (raw fish which is btw the best food in the whole world ;3) make sure you go with someone who knows what they're doing and where they're going. You don't want to go somewhere 'cheap' and have some crappy sashimi, not good at all. Salmon is always a good starter - even managed to get my mum to like that one.

I love salmon, tuna (maguro), horse-mackrel (aji) and the fatty part of tuna (ootoro) the most. Mmmmmm <3 sashimi
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options

and handrolls, whose name eludes me right now. (cuts)

The hand rolls are great, it's like a maki, but made for a single person and shaped like an ice cream cone. :)

Go try, enjoy! Experience the ginger, the wasabi, the flavors of the fish with and without soy. It's delicious and can be super clean food.

Now, a point of clarification. Sushi means specifically that it uses vinegared rice. Sashimi means that it is raw fish, and raw fish only.

I think you mean temaki :) te means hand in Japanese, maki means roll. Almost had it!

mmmmm I am totally getting me some sashimi for dinner tomorrow night.
  • Thor127
    Thor127 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I agree with what other people have been saying, start with the California roll to get your feet wet, then go for deeper waters with tuna or salmon. I love them so much, and they're so healthy! Now I just need to learn how to make sushi for myself...
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

and handrolls, whose name eludes me right now. (cuts)

The hand rolls are great, it's like a maki, but made for a single person and shaped like an ice cream cone. :)

Go try, enjoy! Experience the ginger, the wasabi, the flavors of the fish with and without soy. It's delicious and can be super clean food.

Now, a point of clarification. Sushi means specifically that it uses vinegared rice. Sashimi means that it is raw fish, and raw fish only.

I think you mean temaki :) te means hand in Japanese, maki means roll. Almost had it!

mmmmm I am totally getting me some sashimi for dinner tomorrow night.

You nailed it. :)

I've been wanting to chow down on some sushi for a while. My favorite, and it's a total treat.

Inari. Fried tofu skin that's marinated. Add a small bump of wasabi to it and it's EPIC! Follow that with some amaebi. ;)