Share your HIIT workouts

Options
13»

Replies

• phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    you start where you start. don't worry about where you are near as much as trying to improve over time. if your 100% intensity is half what everyone else is, then so be it. You won't get the same benefit that they can do, so what. But keep pushing yourself and set goals to continually improve so that you'll be able to put out more and more intense workouts.

the goal of every workout should be to improve. be it cardio, intervals, weights, whatever. You want to look like someone who is an elite athlete, then you need to train to become one. Just doing the same old same old every time is not the answer to long term goals. if it was, then mailmen doing same old cardio for 40hours a week would be the fittest looking people on the planet.
  • sccet
    sccet Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    you start where you start. don't worry about where you are near as much as trying to improve over time. if your 100% intensity is half what everyone else is, then so be it. You won't get the same benefit that they can do, so what. But keep pushing yourself and set goals to continually improve so that you'll be able to put out more and more intense workouts.

This, which is why your pace does not matter, snails' or otherwise. What matters is YOUR VO2 max, which is a function of (among other things) your fitness level.
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great info everyone. I am learning a lot. So here's my next question...

From what I understand, HIIT will help to increase your aerobic endurance, increase your metabolism and provide long term fat burning benefits...correct? For those of you that say you need to go all out over 100% max HR to achieve results, do you think that you see benefits that increase marginally with intensity, or is an all or nothing, you didn't get your HR up high enough so you just wasted your time kind of thing?
    I would say the HIIT would help aerobic endurance but if you looking to increase your 3K or 5K run then you would need to practice those. Even if you don't go 100% max hr you will still benefit as you are burning calories.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    intervals of running stairs at full speed, about 3 mins of running up and down, then 1 min to strength train
    and go again.
  • Labouffecestbon
    Labouffecestbon Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Bump. Need inspirations for June routines.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    From what I understand, HIIT will help to increase your aerobic endurance, increase your metabolism and provide long term fat burning benefits...correct? For those of you that say you need to go all out over 100% max HR to achieve results, do you think that you see benefits that increase marginally with intensity, or is an all or nothing, you didn't get your HR up high enough so you just wasted your time kind of thing?

I think this super-high-intensity routines are anaerobic, not aerobic. In a lot of ways, HIIT is supposed to be similar to heavy weight lifting. Short stretches of extreme intensity.

If your intensity isn't high enough, you're not in an anaerobic zone, so, yes, there is some threshold you need to be at. I don't think the threshold is at some standard percentage of VO2max or heart rate, so I'm not sure there is an easy answer to the question, besides "go real hard."
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Push a Prowler 40 meters. Push it back. Add weight. Repeat. Take breaks as needed. Not really standard "HIIT" but it is good anaerobic conditioning.
  • sugaree1202
    sugaree1202 Posts: 184 Member
    Options

TurboFire - Some classes are completely HIIT, others are intense cardio with HIIT spaced out during the class, you also get some stretching, core and toning classes. It's fun and get results right away - I've never built endurance or seen weight & inches lost so quickly.
  • Labouffecestbon
    Labouffecestbon Posts: 182 Member
    Options

TurboFire - Some classes are completely HIIT, others are intense cardio with HIIT spaced out during the class, you also get some stretching, core and toning classes. It's fun and get results right away - I've never built endurance or seen weight & inches lost so quickly.
    Thanks! Might look into that a working out at home works better for me.
  • vanessab1221
    Options
    this is the one i normally do. both are the same thing just written differently as far as the time is concerned. i like the way the second one is written, it's much easier to time yourself.

2:15 min warm-up 60 sec sprint
    30 sec sprint 1 min 15 sec rest
    30 sec rest 90 second sprint
    30 sec sprint 60 sec rest
    45 sec rest 60 sec sprint
    45 sec sprint 45 sec rest
    45 sec rest 45 sec sprint
    45 sec sprint 30 sec rest
    60 sec rest 30 sec sprint
    60 sec sprint 3 min cool down
    60 sec rest

0 - 2:15 warm-up 9:45 – 10:45 sprint
    2:15 – 2:45 sprint 10:45 – 12:00 rest
    2:45 – 3:15 rest 12:00 – 13:30 sprint
    3:15 – 3:45 sprint 13:30 – 14:30 rest
    3:45 – 4:30 rest 14:30 – 15:30 sprint
    4:30 – 5:15 sprint 15:30 – 16:15 rest
    5:15 – 6:00 rest 16:15 – 17:00 sprint
    6:00 – 6:45 sprint 17:00 – 17:30 rest
    6:45 – 7:45 rest 17:30 – 18:00 sprint
    7:45 – 8:45 sprint 18:00 – 21:00 rest
    8:45 – 9:45 re
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    What I used to do:

1. Warm up-walk, jog, whatever works for you.

2. 15 sec all out sprint, 45 second normal paced jog. Repeat.

3. Cool down walk/jog.

I started this doing the HIIT part (#2) for 8 minutes. My endurance built up to where I could go for 30 minutes on the HIIT section.

The biggest benefit seemed to be because I ran all out for 15 seconds (ran as fast as I possibly could).