Rant - Read at your own risk

Options

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

whereas coconut oil (which is saturated) actually stimulates and boosts the metabolism.

I already mentioned that coconut oil boosts the metabolism, which makes it an excellent source of fat.
    The idea is that if you use it in place of (not in addition to) other sources of fat, you will burn more calories after that meal.

If you eat breakfast, you will boost your metabolism so that you burn more calories.

Sources?

This is like people saying green tea boosts metabolism. Broscience..no!
  • Laurelthequeen
    Options
    While I agree with you about your overall nutritional approach, and am pretty good about clean eating, but what it really comes down to is calories in<calories out= weight loss. I eat whole and minimally processed foods and have for years. Pretty much everything I eat, I've made. I still weigh 180lbs. Just because you eat things made from scratch with quality, non-gmo, humanely raised, organic ingredients doesn't mean you will be thin.

Lots of people in this country are malnourished. That's because they don't give a **** about good nutrition.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Lost 20 pounds. Ate fast food twice or more a week while doing so.

*shrug*

Past 3 weeks I've had pizza, cookies, ice cream and such. Lost 2lbs. :D

You know better than to add anecdotal evidence to these forums. It wasn't published in a journal, therefore it's wrong. /sarcasm
  • cwood2002
    cwood2002 Posts: 39 Member
    Options

whereas coconut oil (which is saturated) actually stimulates and boosts the metabolism.

I already mentioned that coconut oil boosts the metabolism, which makes it an excellent source of fat.
    The idea is that if you use it in place of (not in addition to) other sources of fat, you will burn more calories after that meal.

If you eat breakfast, you will boost your metabolism so that you burn more calories.

Sources?
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Go and eat 4000 cals a day of whole wheat pasta, avocados and coconut oil for a couple weeks. Make sure to get back to us on your progress :)
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I hope it felt good because soon the law of thermodynamics is coming to getcha. :)

the law of thermodynamics doesn't always strictly apply to biological systems. That's why nutrition and weight loss aren't a perfect science
  • Streamlinedforlife
    Options
    Completely agree. perfectly stated.
  • Streamlinedforlife
    Options
    You are getting weight loss confused with nutrition.

Weight loss is a calorie deficit.... Period

Nutrition is a different thing all together. Without nutrients our body doesn't function properly. There are people that can eat junk food in moderation lose weight and there are people who can lose weight entirely on junk as long as they burn more then the eat. Most people, won't get full off junk food so will over eat it, and most people get addicted to it, so for most people it's best to eat whole, fiber rich, minimally processed food, because its non addictive, more filling, and more satisfying.

A lot of people on here care solely about losing weight. Everyone should do what works for them. As for me, I try to eat calories at deficit to lose weight, and I try to eat those calories with the most amount of nutrients and the least amount of processing, but that is a personal preference.
    completly agree, perfectly stated.
  • SkinnyBubbaGaar
    SkinnyBubbaGaar Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    What are your thoughts about gravity?
  • crlyxx
    crlyxx Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I don't see how this is a rant at all....virtually everyone knows of what you just said.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I hope it felt good because soon the law of thermodynamics is coming to getcha. :)

the law of thermodynamics doesn't always strictly apply to biological systems. That's why nutrition and weight loss aren't a perfect science

I'm not certain about this. If you consume 2000 calories and utilize 2001, that last calorie will come from somewhere. Now whether or not you're actually utilizing 2001 or consuming 2000 may be a valid question, there is no such thing as a biological perpetual motion machine.
  • GeekAmour
    GeekAmour Posts: 262
    Options
    What are your thoughts about gravity?

:laugh:
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    You are getting weight loss confused with nutrition.

Weight loss is a calorie deficit.... Period

Nutrition is a different thing all together. Without nutrients our body doesn't function properly. There are people that can eat junk food in moderation lose weight and there are people who can lose weight entirely on junk as long as they burn more then the eat. Most people, won't get full off junk food so will over eat it, and most people get addicted to it, so for most people it's best to eat whole, fiber rich, minimally processed food, because its non addictive, more filling, and more satisfying.

A lot of people on here care solely about losing weight. Everyone should do what works for them. As for me, I try to eat calories at deficit to lose weight, and I try to eat those calories with the most amount of nutrients and the least amount of processing, but that is a personal preference.

agreeing.
  • Willowana
    Willowana Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil raises metabolism. Huh. I haven't seen any real study to prove that. If it can, then it's the ONLY food in the world capable of raising metabolic rates.... which is based on a person's weight and level of exercise, assuming their thyroid is working properly.

I would think that would be headline news.
  • pixish
    pixish Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Calories ARE created equal - it's a form of measurement. All food has a different nutrition value though and people should take that into account as well as calorie count. I think this is what you meant, but not how it was worded.

I do think that little rants and putting your thoughts down is a good thing to do sometimes. I know that a few months ago I felt rather defeated in my goals and couldn't figure how to make my food and exercise needs work around my life. I posted a topic asking for ideas and people pretty much suggested what I already kind of knew but it helped bring it back home for me. It is good for re-focussing :)
  • magpie0
    magpie0 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    proof???
  • castelluzzo99
    castelluzzo99 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Go and eat 4000 cals a day of whole wheat pasta, avocados and coconut oil for a couple weeks. Make sure to get back to us on your progress :)

I didn't say that one could eat more; what I meant is that the nutritional benefits are not the same. In the case of pasta, compare 1 cup of white pasta to 1 cup of whole wheat pasta. With the whole wheat, you get fiber, which means fewer net carbs. Fiber is not digested, so it's not part of calories in.

And I get that yes, you have to burn more calories than you consume to lose weight. I guess to sum up what I was trying to say is that some foods are going to affect your metabolism more than others. And one thing I don't think I mentioned is that good nutrition helps to curb cravings, which makes it easier to lose weight.

But yeah, let's check back in a couple of weeks and see if that little butterfly below has moved any. :)
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I think it's great that you're investing the time in logging the food that you cook from scratch. I think it will pay off in helping your weight control efforts.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options

How do any of the laws of thermodynamics NOT apply strictly to biological systems?
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options
    This website provides ONE of the many tools a person can use to control his/her weight and stay healthy.

Calories in < Calories out = weight loss

It's not the whole equation, but it is the bottom line.