Rant - Read at your own risk

Options

Replies

• Willowana
    Willowana Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I'm seriously trying to find the metabolism --> coconut oil connection. I'm wading through a bunch of new age crap to find some real sources. The Mayo Clinic had this article:

Can coconut oil help me lose weight?

Answer
    from Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D.

The few small studies that have looked at coconut oil and weight loss suggest that coconut oil may help reduce waist size, but it doesn't lead to significant weight loss or improved body mass index (BMI).

Coconut oil is a tropical oil that's made from the dried fruit (nut) of the coconut palm tree. Proponents say that it contains a healthy type of fatty acid that your body quickly burns for energy. The oil extracted from fresh coconut contains medium chain fatty acids, which aren't stored in adipose tissue.

However, coconut oil is high in calories and saturated fat. One tablespoon contains 117 calories and 13.6 grams of fat. Coconut oil has more saturated fat than lard does.

Although eating coconut oil in moderation isn't likely to harm your health, it's not likely to help you lose weight either. For successful, long-term weight loss, stick to the basics — an overall healthy-eating plan and exercise.

I'm trying to find out more about those small studies (and if they were funded by the coconut oil companies themselves). Anyone care to join in the hunt? I like coconut oil every once in awhile. Although the smell makes me feel like I'm eating suntan lotion...lol.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I'm seriously trying to find the metabolism --> coconut oil connection. I'm wading through a bunch of new age crap to find some real sources. The Mayo Clinic had this article:

Can coconut oil help me lose weight?

Answer
    from Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D.

The few small studies that have looked at coconut oil and weight loss suggest that coconut oil may help reduce waist size, but it doesn't lead to significant weight loss or improved body mass index (BMI).

Coconut oil is a tropical oil that's made from the dried fruit (nut) of the coconut palm tree. Proponents say that it contains a healthy type of fatty acid that your body quickly burns for energy. The oil extracted from fresh coconut contains medium chain fatty acids, which aren't stored in adipose tissue.

However, coconut oil is high in calories and saturated fat. One tablespoon contains 117 calories and 13.6 grams of fat. Coconut oil has more saturated fat than lard does.

Although eating coconut oil in moderation isn't likely to harm your health, it's not likely to help you lose weight either. For successful, long-term weight loss, stick to the basics — an overall healthy-eating plan and exercise.

I'm trying to find out more about those small studies (and if they were funded by the coconut oil companies themselves). Anyone care to join in the hunt? I like coconut oil every once in awhile. Although the smell makes me feel like I'm eating suntan lotion...lol.

Tbh I just figured it was unsubstantiated since she also said that eating often increases metabolism. And since she's the one making the claim the burden of proof is on her. But if you find something definitely post it. :flowerforyou:
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I ate pizza AND Chinese yesterday. Then Starbucks and Applebee's today. Am I going to die?
  • Willowana
    Options
    Okay, I think I've located the source. There are a few studies done on mice and Mongolian Gerbils. Since I am neither, I'm going to throw those out. The primary study that everyone is pointing to is:

Effects of Dietary Coconut Oil on the Biochemical and Anthropometric Profiles of Women Presenting Abdominal Obesity

Monica L. Assunção,
    Haroldo S. Ferreira,
    Aldenir F. dos Santos,
    Cyro R. Cabral Jr,
    Telma M. M. T. Florêncio

Abstract:

The effects of dietary supplementation with coconut oil on the biochemical and anthropometric profiles of women presenting waist circumferences (WC) >88 cm (abdominal obesity) were investigated. The randomised, double-blind, clinical trial involved 40 women aged 20–40 years. Groups received daily dietary supplements comprising 30 mL of either soy bean oil (group S; n = 20) or coconut oil (group C; n = 20) over a 12-week period, during which all subjects were instructed to follow a balanced hypocaloric diet and to walk for 50 min per day. Data were collected 1 week before (T1) and 1 week after (T2) dietary intervention. Energy intake and amount of carbohydrate ingested by both groups diminished over the trial, whereas the consumption of protein and fibre increased and lipid ingestion remained unchanged. At T1 there were no differences in biochemical or anthropometric characteristics between the groups, whereas at T2 group C presented a higher level of HDL (48.7 ± 2.4 vs. 45.00 ± 5.6; P = 0.01) and a lower LDL:HDL ratio (2.41 ± 0.8 vs. 3.1 ± 0.8; P = 0.04). Reductions in BMI were observed in both groups at T2 (P < 0.05), but only group C exhibited a reduction in WC (P = 0.005). Group S presented an increase (P < 0.05) in total cholesterol, LDL and LDL:HDL ratio, whilst HDL diminished (P = 0.03). Such alterations were not observed in group C. It appears that dietetic supplementation with coconut oil does not cause dyslipidemia and seems to promote a reduction in abdominal obesity.

So, let's break this down into human terms.

Both test groups were given 30 ml of oil a day. That equates to approx. 2 Tablespoons per day. Test group 1 got soybean oil. Test group 2 got coconut oil.

The first week before giving the oil to both groups, they were to start a caloric deficit diet and walk 50 minutes per day. After one week, the test subjects began incorporating 2 tablespoons of their respective oils into their caloric deficit diets while still exercising daily.

After the first week (with no oil), neither group displayed a difference in biochemical (lab results) or anthropometric characteristics (measuring the circumference of body and limbs).

One week after dietary intervention, coconut oil users had a .01% increase in HDL and lowered their LDL:HDL ratio (bad/good cholesterol) by .04%. BOTH groups had a reduction in their BMI of less than .05%.

The coconut oil users were the only ones to lose waist circumference of .005% (that's HALF of a percentage point)

The soybean oil test group raise their total cholesterol, LDL, and LDL:HDL ratios by less than .05%, while good cholesterol dropped .03%. The coconut oil users did not experience the same increase in LDL or drop in HDL.

"Such alterations were not observed in group C. It appears that dietetic supplementation with coconut oil does not cause dyslipidemia (abnormal amounts of lipids e.g. cholesterol and/or fat) and seems to promote a reduction in abdominal obesity."

After dissecting this, my thoughts:

After 12 weeks, you might lose HALF of a percentage point in abdominal circumference.
    To GET that half of a percentage, you have to eat 234 calories (2 Tbsp.) of coconut oil.
    It makes no mention of metabolic changes - both test groups lost the same amount of BMI.

The study never mentions what kind of soybean oil they are using. Is it hydrogenated? Partially? When you chemically alter an oil, you've now created trans fats. It's these kinds of man-made trans fats that are known to raise cholesterol levels. Comparing extra virgin coconut oil (most likely) to hydrogenated soybeal oil is like comparing fresh air to city smog. Why not compare it to extra virgin olive oil? One of the references provided for the study is:

de Roos NM, Schouten EG, Katan MB (2001) Consumption of a solid fat rich in lauric acid results in a more favorable serum lipid profile in healthy men and women than consumption of a solid fat rich in trans-fatty acids. J Nutr 131:242–245

Okay, so they are basically telling me that they compared a virgin oil to a dirty hydrogenated (solid) trans-fatty oil. Well, that's a fair fight. /sarcasm

Why would scientists do that? Money. I had to go to coconutoil.com to even find a link to this study. Which means the coconut oil industry probably paid for it. Scientists don't work for free, you know.

And my last thought is....who eats 2 Tbsps of coconut oil? You would literally have to chew it up and swallow it. When I cook with half a Tbsp of it, I notice it doesn't absorb or burn off when I cook with it. Most of it is still in the pan when I'm finished cooking. And since it's a solid before heating, I don't imagine anyone using it as a salad dressing like olive oil.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    65wVv3H.gif

5sHZiC7.gif
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    crap. Do I have to gain it all back and start over? I hate when that happens.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    image.png
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Strong first day, OP. I see a long future ahead of you in the forums.
  • qsusanevans
    Options
    I ate pizza AND Chinese yesterday. Then Starbucks and Applebee's today. Am I going to die?
  • qsusanevans
    Options
    Yes. You are going to die. Eventually.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Okay, I think I've located the source. There are a few studies done on mice and Mongolian Gerbils. Since I am neither, I'm going to throw those out. The primary study that everyone is pointing to is:

Effects of Dietary Coconut Oil on the Biochemical and Anthropometric Profiles of Women Presenting Abdominal Obesity

Monica L. Assunção,
    Haroldo S. Ferreira,
    Aldenir F. dos Santos,
    Cyro R. Cabral Jr,
    Telma M. M. T. Florêncio

Abstract:

The effects of dietary supplementation with coconut oil on the biochemical and anthropometric profiles of women presenting waist circumferences (WC) >88 cm (abdominal obesity) were investigated. The randomised, double-blind, clinical trial involved 40 women aged 20–40 years. Groups received daily dietary supplements comprising 30 mL of either soy bean oil (group S; n = 20) or coconut oil (group C; n = 20) over a 12-week period, during which all subjects were instructed to follow a balanced hypocaloric diet and to walk for 50 min per day. Data were collected 1 week before (T1) and 1 week after (T2) dietary intervention. Energy intake and amount of carbohydrate ingested by both groups diminished over the trial, whereas the consumption of protein and fibre increased and lipid ingestion remained unchanged. At T1 there were no differences in biochemical or anthropometric characteristics between the groups, whereas at T2 group C presented a higher level of HDL (48.7 ± 2.4 vs. 45.00 ± 5.6; P = 0.01) and a lower LDL:HDL ratio (2.41 ± 0.8 vs. 3.1 ± 0.8; P = 0.04). Reductions in BMI were observed in both groups at T2 (P < 0.05), but only group C exhibited a reduction in WC (P = 0.005). Group S presented an increase (P < 0.05) in total cholesterol, LDL and LDL:HDL ratio, whilst HDL diminished (P = 0.03). Such alterations were not observed in group C. It appears that dietetic supplementation with coconut oil does not cause dyslipidemia and seems to promote a reduction in abdominal obesity.

Both test groups were given 30 ml of oil a day. That equates to approx. 2 Tablespoons per day. Test group 1 got soybean oil. Test group 2 got coconut oil.

The first week before giving the oil to both groups, they were to start a caloric deficit diet and walk 50 minutes per day. After one week, the test subjects began incorporating 2 tablespoons of their respective oils into their caloric deficit diets while still exercising daily.

After the first week (with no oil), neither group displayed a difference in biochemical (lab results) or anthropometric characteristics (measuring the circumference of body and limbs).

One week after dietary intervention, coconut oil users had a .01% increase in HDL and lowered their LDL:HDL ratio (bad/good cholesterol) by .04%. BOTH groups had a reduction in their BMI of less than .05%.

The coconut oil users were the only ones to lose waist circumference of .005% (that's HALF of a percentage point)

The soybean oil test group raise their total cholesterol, LDL, and LDL:HDL ratios by less than .05%, while good cholesterol dropped .03%. The coconut oil users did not experience the same increase in LDL or drop in HDL.

"Such alterations were not observed in group C. It appears that dietetic supplementation with coconut oil does not cause dyslipidemia (abnormal amounts of lipids e.g. cholesterol and/or fat) and seems to promote a reduction in abdominal obesity."

After 12 weeks, you might lose HALF of a percentage point in abdominal circumference.
    To GET that half of a percentage, you have to eat 234 calories (2 Tbsp.) of coconut oil.
    It makes no mention of metabolic changes - both test groups lost the same amount of BMI.

The study never mentions what kind of soybean oil they are using. Is it hydrogenated? Partially? When you chemically alter an oil, you've now created trans fats. It's these kinds of man-made trans fats that are known to raise cholesterol levels. Comparing extra virgin coconut oil (most likely) to hydrogenated soybeal oil is like comparing fresh air to city smog. Why not compare it to extra virgin olive oil? One of the references provided for the study is:

de Roos NM, Schouten EG, Katan MB (2001) Consumption of a solid fat rich in lauric acid results in a more favorable serum lipid profile in healthy men and women than consumption of a solid fat rich in trans-fatty acids. J Nutr 131:242–245

Okay, so they are basically telling me that they compared a virgin oil to a dirty hydrogenated (solid) trans-fatty oil. Well, that's a fair fight. /sarcasm

Why would scientists do that? Money. I had to go to coconutoil.com to even find a link to this study. Which means the coconut oil industry probably paid for it. Scientists don't work for free, you know.

And my last thought is....who eats 2 Tbsps of coconut oil? You would literally have to chew it up and swallow it. When I cook with half a Tbsp of it, I notice it doesn't absorb or burn off when I cook with it. Most of it is still in the pan when I'm finished cooking. And since it's a solid before heating, I don't imagine anyone using it as a salad dressing like olive oil.

article-2031135-0D9C9F5200000578-948_468x553.jpg

ETA: Song lyrics. "I. Don't. Care.-- I love it!"
  • skinnylynnie74
    skinnylynnie74 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I'm laughing my butt off. Even though I agree with the initial post. I am literally laughing my big fat coconut oiled butt off. (I use it in my hair and my facial cream, as well as my homemade deodorant and Chapstick!) but I'm left wondering how many calories I burned while chuckling over your responses?
  • WVprankster
    WVprankster Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is a caloric deficit ( N/M water saturation, I'm not going there for this thread). Period. You must eat less than you burn, no matter what. Even If I suck down Big Mac's at a rate that is caloric...ally lower than what my body burns simply by being me, I will lose weight. We can argue semantics; we can't argue math.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I think it's great that you're investing the time in logging the food that you cook from scratch. I think it will pay off in helping your weight control efforts.

I agree with this. Keep cooking, eating healthy food, and enjoying your food (as you do), along with counting calories (as you have clearly stated).

It's great that you care about nutrition. Nutrition is important. Even better, you enjoy your food.

I'm not trying to lose weight. I care about beauty. Beautiful skin and hair and being fit. I joined while on maintenance. I've always been incredibly fit (look fantastic naked). But, I'd slacked off on my fitness for a brief time (dealing with some stress), so I had picked up the pace, and although I had reached my goal, I checked this site out, in accordance with my lifelong commitment to health and fitness (I'm also a dancer), I decided to try some new things. I signed up for mfp, with no idea what it was. It was a calorie counting web site. That was freaky. I'd spent 34 years of my life never thinking about calories, eating very healthy and enjoying my food. I ate a ton of calories!!! When I started counting I was eating 2500 to 3000 a day. I weighed 104 when I joined, and I was a mother of two. I was also very active. I did count my protein in a notebook to make sure I was getting 100 grams a day. I only thought about getting enough protein, eating fats, carbs were a no brainer, and eating lots of veggies and fruit to meet my micro nutrients, etc.

So, when I joined I found all the "a calorie is a calorie" stuff to be like gibberish. A calorie? What? Why? I'm working on health and fitness, not weight loss...in fact I did not want to lose weight.

You obviously care about nutrition and learning, It's just that some of your sources are not great. So, you are on a continual path of learning and you will continue to do that now. You've spent time exploring and learning, and now you are here to learn more, find some new sources, understand what is based in science and what is just a book or an article that was written by someone that could not get his work published in any peer reviewed journals. And you will learn some new things, let go of some things, and retain some things you've already learned.

I go through stages. Sometimes I cook more than other times. I don't want calorie counting to make me lazy.

p.s. I kind of liked your title.
  • Willowana
    Options
    I love coconut oil too. I use it for my hair, lips, skin, etc. I cook with it. Pop culture is in love with coconut oil right now. It's the new olive oil. I was just interested to see if it really had any magical claims beyond that.

But sadly, no. I still plan on using it for all the other good benefits, but I can't honestly say after looking up the research that it's any sort of magic bullet to kick start someone's metabolism.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    I love coconut oil too. I use it for my hair, lips, skin, etc. I cook with it. Pop culture is in love with coconut oil right now. It's the new olive oil. I was just interested to see if it really had any magical claims beyond that.

But sadly, no. I still plan on using it for all the other good benefits, but I can't honestly say after looking up the research that it's any sort of magic bullet to kick start someone's metabolism.

I agree.

But, coconut tastes good!!!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

I think it's kind of magical how it makes my coffee taste if I put barely a teaspoon of it in it along with honey and coffee mate.

I also think it's magic in the morning when I've slept with it in my hair and then wash it and it looks like I was 18 again.
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    You are getting weight loss confused with nutrition.

Weight loss is a calorie deficit.... Period

Nutrition is a different thing all together. Without nutrients our body doesn't function properly. There are people that can eat junk food in moderation lose weight and there are people who can lose weight entirely on junk as long as they burn more then the eat. Most people, won't get full off junk food so will over eat it, and most people get addicted to it, so for most people it's best to eat whole, fiber rich, minimally processed food, because its non addictive, more filling, and more satisfying.

A lot of people on here care solely about losing weight. Everyone should do what works for them. As for me, I try to eat calories at deficit to lose weight, and I try to eat those calories with the most amount of nutrients and the least amount of processing, but that is a personal preference.

This.
    /thread
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

Monica L. Assunção,
    Haroldo S. Ferreira,
    Aldenir F. dos Santos,
    Cyro R. Cabral Jr,
    Telma M. M. T. Florêncio

Abstract:

article-2031135-0D9C9F5200000578-948_468x553.jpg

ETA: Song lyrics. "I. Don't. Care.-- I love it!"

The photo was me, when I was in India, and had been traveling for a very long time and I bought one of the coconuts that the guys take down from the trees (I think it cost a penny). First they poke the holes so I could drink it, then they chop it up so I can eat it. It's so moist!
  • Willowana
    Options
    I think it's kind of magical how it makes my coffee taste if I put barely a teaspoon of it in it along with honey and coffee mate.

I also think it's magic in the morning when I've slept with it in my hair and then wash it and it looks like I was 18 again.

My hair has always been healthy, but I still use it for that too. It makes thick hair more managable. I'm not sure about coconut coffee. I don't care for coffee anyway, but whatever floats your boat :drinker: