I'm 44. Is it time for me to give up heavy lifitng?

Options
My joints and tendons are starting to wear and tear, and it seems like every time I fix one problem, another one crops up!

I've just revamped my entire lower body workout to remedy knee pain, and now my elbow is giving me trouble after my upper body workouts . . . It's frustrating!

I'm wondering if it's time for me to give up heavy lifting and focus more effort of something more "age appropriate," like pilates or yoga. (I already do some.)

Anyone else out there over 40 and still lifting? Has anyone given it up?

Replies

• MistressAella
    MistressAella Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have something you just might enjoy :)

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbinfo.php?page=Over40Transformation

I'd do a LOT of things to look like them^^^ ;)
  • IIISpartacusIII
    IIISpartacusIII Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I'm 44 and lift heavy regularly. Keep in mind that what you define as "heavy lifting" is relative to your definition of the word. It's not like you're a world class Powerlifter who's broken several worlds records in the bench press, squat and deadlift and are now thinking of retiring from competing. It's more likely that you do some weightlifting at a moderate intensity and have now made the correlation between lifting and joint pain, nosy neighbors, rainy days, etc. Correlation isn't causation.

What you might include so as to avoid injury with any type of workout is a brief warm up and some light (very light) stretching. That and of course the typical pyramid style lifting where you use lighter weight before working your way up to the "work sets" where you train at a higher intensity. As long as you're not breaking state records regularly I think you have very little to worry about.
  • phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    define heavy lifting? What are you doing exactly?

to answer your question tho, generally strength training becomes more important to do as you age. not less.

edit: http://youtu.be/rGgoCm1hofM
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Absolutely NOT. Lift within your limits, respect your body, but please please please don't quit strength training. It's so important.
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Depends on your definition of heavy lifting - my guide runner is 54 and lifts heavy enough (has to be careful because of glaucoma she's had for years, so keep her eye pressure from going too high) as well as does half marathons
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Im 44 and just started stronglifts 5 x 5 i love it and am really pleased with my progress considering i have a muscle disease. Yes the knees crunch and pop but its not bad if thrre is no pain so my doctor said, so im going to continue to lift. Ive gone from barely being able to bench press 10 kg a few months ago to almost 25 now and deadlifts 20 kilo to now 60kg. Try to keep it up its a great workout.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Absolutely NOT. Lift within your limits, respect your body, but please please please don't quit strength training. It's so important.

Agree.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I'm 40, have had two major knee surgeries (from sports injuries, not lifting), and squatted 400+ this past week and will be benching 300+ next month. These numbers are down from my younger days but still pretty decent.

You don't have to stop lifting heavy. You may, however, have to adapt your lifting plan for the slower recovery that comes with aging. May mean less sets. May mean more days off or more days between working the same muscle group. Maybe less compound work. Or less iso work.

You don't have to stop, you just have to adapt.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    HELL NO, why the hell would u give up?
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I have lots of people on my FL that are over 40 and lifters. It is important to keep your body, bones and mind strong for the rest of your life. Research suggests that strength training is an excellent way to do all three!
  • theycallyoumister
    theycallyoumister Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Nope. I wouldn't and I won't. I echo the comments regarding injuries and joint pain but there are strategies to deal with that and rectify the problems. Over my lifetime, I've had several severe injuries (both through lifting and other activities) and feel that I have recovered very well even without surgical intervention. You make adjustments according to your general health and physical condition. The benefits far outweigh any negatives. :smile:
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I'm 43 and started weight training..so no..but take your time in recovery if you keep getting problems. Rest as much as you need but don't give up!
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I'm 55. I'm still lifting heavy and do not plan to stop anytime soon (if ever). You definitely have to listen to your body, but age is not a determination on whether I lift or not. I find that it is making me stronger, improving my balance and of course, helping me in the bone density department. It's also not too shabby that it makes you feel powerful! Lift girl!
  • LittleMissRainey
    LittleMissRainey Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not - you're only as young as you feel!

Like this lady... http://ernestineshepherd.net/?page_id=2
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options

I'm wondering if it's time for me to give up heavy lifting and focus more effort of something more "age appropriate," like pilates or yoga. (I already do some.)

Anyone else out there over 40 and still lifting? Has anyone given it up?

I don't think you meant this to be vaguely insulting, but it hits me that way. I'm almost 42 and I have no plans to give up lifting.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    At your age lifting is most critical, build up that bone density, and preserve that LBM.
  • fitnessgal1318
    Options
    I'm 47 and have knee injuries related to a long history of running. Started getting serious with my lifting about a year ago when I couldn't run and it has changed my life. Yes some weeks I might need an extra rest day or maybe need a week with fewer sets but even with such modifications, I have been able to progress and get stronger. Find what works for you, but you can definitely keep at it and should I say!!! Good luck!
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I'm 55. I'm still lifting heavy and do not plan to stop anytime soon (if ever). You definitely have to listen to your body, but age is not a determination on whether I lift or not. I find that it is making me stronger, improving my balance and of course, helping me in the bone density department. It's also not too shabby that it makes you feel powerful! Lift girl!

WOW. Your picture and your age do. not. compute. I think I need to start lifting more, as it apparently is part of the whole "fountain of youth" program you have found. You look fantastic!

And no, I'm not a creeper. HAHA. :)
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Weight is relative ofcourse.

my dad is 66 he still lifts heavy for him. I'm only 40 and just getting started with regular lifting i'm lifting heavy for me but thats nothing compared to what my dad lifts and what others in the gym are doing, i have weak joints (genetics) and ache all the time but it's not a reason to quit. More reason to keep going actually

Get yourself sorted by a sports physio then get back on track. If your body is falling apart it's not cause of the lifting specificaly.
    Ofcourse thats on a person to person basis, you may well have to reduce or stop we can't call that just by a post on the internet.

as other said mybe just have more recovery time inbetween and more calcium/protein/carbs/water to aid that recovery or lift lighter for a while

Age has nothing to do with a set time line to stop anything unless you are dead.