I'm 44. Is it time for me to give up heavy lifitng?

Options

Replies

• jc1961AA
    jc1961AA Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I have something you just might enjoy :)

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbinfo.php?page=Over40Transformation

I'd do a LOT of things to look like them^^^ ;)

Thanks for the link, as a 51 yr old guy, it gives me some kind of hope...
    JC
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    MagicalLeopleurodon Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    My mom is 47, and is just getting started lifting heavy :)
  • kuger4119
    kuger4119 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    As you age, there is no doubt that you need to acknowledge that you will be unable to keep lifting AS heavy as you were. If you are able to bench 200 lbs at 35 years old, it wouldn't be surprising to see you able to bench 175 lbs at 45 years old without injuring yourself. The average person would still think you are "heavy lifting" even if it's less than you used to lift.
  • april_mesk
    april_mesk Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I'm 55. I'm still lifting heavy and do not plan to stop anytime soon (if ever). You definitely have to listen to your body, but age is not a determination on whether I lift or not. I find that it is making me stronger, improving my balance and of course, helping me in the bone density department. It's also not too shabby that it makes you feel powerful! Lift girl!

WOW. Your picture and your age do. not. compute. I think I need to start lifting more, as it apparently is part of the whole "fountain of youth" program you have found. You look fantastic!

And no, I'm not a creeper. HAHA. :)

Yeah I second this.. I did a double take...must be my eyes sort of thing...Wow!
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you consider heavy lifting.

I am 53 and lift weights 3 days a week mixed with swimming.

The other 3 days i do more cardio and racquetball.
  • bdoug1234
    bdoug1234 Posts: 28
    Options
    Why do you lift in the first place? Do you compete at power lifting or bodybuilding championships? Or just general fitness?

If you are lifting for muscle definition and general fitness then you can never run out of muscles to train while giving the aches a rest.

Heavy lifting is not the only way to big muscles if that is your goal.

Sore joints and tendons usually come from muscle imbalance. You might want to get some advise on technique or just move on to something you would rather enjoy.

Yoga is great for getting muscles stretched and back into balance.

Cardio comes in many many flavors as well.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    My joints and tendons are starting to wear and tear, and it seems like every time I fix one problem, another one crops up!

I've just revamped my entire lower body workout to remedy knee pain, and now my elbow is giving me trouble after my upper body workouts . . . It's frustrating!

I'm wondering if it's time for me to give up heavy lifting and focus more effort of something more "age appropriate," like pilates or yoga. (I already do some.)

Anyone else out there over 40 and still lifting? Has anyone given it up?
    It's relative. I'm 49 and still lift heavy for me. Each year I notice that I can lift a little less resistance. When I was in my early 40's, benching 225lbs was no issue. At my current age 205lbs is about my limit (of course I'm speaking of being able to do at least 6 reps and not one).
    If certain joints are bothering you, try to veer away from exercises that irritate them more. While you can't avoid bending the knee to work the quads, you can do frog squats instead of leg extensions to keep lower tension on the knee as an example.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • croooz
    croooz Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Are you stretching enough?

I put a lot of stress on my joints through the sports I play and workouts I do. I weight 223 pounds and was starting to have knee problems, swollen knees, lots of pain, hobbling up the stairs, and all my friends said get surgery.

I started stretching for the first time in my life and worked at stretching all of the muscles of the legs and found that this reduced pressure on the knees. It took about two weeks to notice a difference and about two months for my knees to be 100%. I asked other people to try this and they have had great success. I believe this is how Rafael Nadal just finished his rehabilitation for his knees.

The beauty of this is you can stretch anywhere, any time. I stretch in the kitchen while I am waiting for certain things to cook,
    when I am waiting for the shower to warm up, or any time I am waiting for something around home.

Remember I am 46, weigh 223 pounds, play high level sports, workout regularly doing Insanity or P90X, and my knees have gotten better. I know it's the stretching because if I stop for a few weeks, I can feel irritation in my knees starting to come back. I stretch all the muscle groups now.

I hope you try!

Exactly. My knees, elbows, and shoulders let me know when I haven't bothered stretching. By the way, knee pain is usually the joint above, below, or both. Tight hip flexors, hamstrings, and ankles might be the issue with your knees. Your elbow might have to do with form or perhaps you need to rest a bit more. However giving weight-lifting now is as silly as switching to machines. Machines lock your joints into unnatural positions and will only aggravate any problems with them.
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I really hope not. I'm 44 and just started a few months ago
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    My joints and tendons are starting to wear and tear, and it seems like every time I fix one problem, another one crops up!

I've just revamped my entire lower body workout to remedy knee pain, and now my elbow is giving me trouble after my upper body workouts . . . It's frustrating!

I'm wondering if it's time for me to give up heavy lifting and focus more effort of something more "age appropriate," like pilates or yoga. (I already do some.)

Hey--they do strength training with nursing home residents in their 80's. It really helps to avoid falls and fractures (and keeps them healthier longer because it stimulates their appetites). I agree with the poster who said that weight training becomes MORE important as we age (and I'm a lot older than you).

For your pain problems, I would look at my diet to see if the pain is better or worse with dietary changes. I know that when I cut grain out of my diet, my joint issues diminished to a significant degree. Some people find that eliminating cow's milk really helps their joint problems. Eliminating added sugar and junk food is likely something that everyone should be doing to improve their general health. There are supplements that you can use, as well. The spice turmeric and the pineapple extract bromelain are especially good for reducing inflammation (it is really inflammation that damages joints over time). You could consult a naturopath.

You could also take some lessons with a personal trainer to make sure that you are lifting properly and that you are lifting an amount that is appropriate for you. :smile:
  • MrsBozz1
    MrsBozz1 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I'm 55. I'm still lifting heavy and do not plan to stop anytime soon (if ever). You definitely have to listen to your body, but age is not a determination on whether I lift or not. I find that it is making me stronger, improving my balance and of course, helping me in the bone density department. It's also not too shabby that it makes you feel powerful! Lift girl!

You are 55?!?! If that is you in your profile pic, you look great !! :drinker:
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I'm not 44 yet, but I plan to age into decades beyond with the philosophy of "Use it or lose it!"
  • fighttheurge39
    Options

WOW. Your picture and your age do. not. compute. I think I need to start lifting more, as it apparently is part of the whole "fountain of youth" program you have found. You look fantastic!

And no, I'm not a creeper. HAHA. :)

agreed!! i looked at the pic and said shes 55? You look like your 35! :)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i've been lifting heavy since i was 18 (i'm now 41), played a high impact sport and i've never had trouble from my joints and tendons resulting from sports and exercise. the only reason i have shoulder issues now is because someone pulled a karate move on me during a rugby game and had a bad muscle pull.

my suggestion is to make sure you are doing things properly. just because you're lifting something heavy doesnt mean you can slack off with posture and getting all loosey goosey with your stabilizing muscles.

i also agree with stretching BUT realize that stretching can only do so much. you still need deep tissue massages on a consistent basis (stretching doesnt work out those kind of knots). it's also a good idea to let your joints and connective tissue repair on a regular basis. i was always taught that every 3-4 months take 1-2 weeks off to let them repair and during that time go to restorative classes that help with body alignment, mobility, deep tissue repair, etc. i've pretty much been following that rule for over 20 years now and i never have issues
  • killacoats
    Options
    LIFT HEAVY, ALWAYS. even when your in a deficit in a surplus or maintaining. use 1-5 reps per set.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    If you give up, you will regret it.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Well that's a bummer I am 46 and was going to just start lifting heavy.
    Are you saying that I can't because I have knee, back and shoulder issues? :huh:
  • alexveksler
    alexveksler Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I am 50 and lifting as heavy as I always have. In fact, after losing 90 pounds, I have more energy than I ever had. I am afraid to say that I have not reached my limits!
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options

Whatchu talkin bout? :huh:

I started lifting heavy just this year and I'll be 46 in a few months. I work through the aches and pains. Because I'd rather be sore from lifting than throwing my back out for no reason while drying my feet (been there, done that ... didn't care for it ... not going there again).

My lower back is doing much better after 2 months of barbell shenanigans already, as are my shoulders. I'm quite liking that part (even though I seem to pull a different muscle group every week, but that's to be expected after dozens of years of lifting nothing much to speak of).

I do Yoga and some Pilates in addition to barbell work, not instead of. Then again I've done yoga for 10 years now and am not giving that up for anything, especially since all the stretching and extra stabilty work compliments lifting beautifully.

Now is the time to crank it up, not slow it down, because in your 40s is when your strength really starts to go downhill if you don't do something about it.
  • xLexa
    xLexa Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I have something you just might enjoy :)

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbinfo.php?page=Over40Transformation

I'd do a LOT of things to look like them^^^ ;)

Wow thank you for this.