how long do you do cardio for

Options
I do cardio for 30 minutes. I run for 20 minutes which is always a little over 2 miles. I walk for 10 minutes or do stationary bike just trying to keep my heart rate never below fat burn level when I walk or do the bike. The rest of the 30 minutes I am stretching and doing crunches. I do a aerboics class on the days that I dont run. Just wondering what everyone else does for cardio and how long they do it for. I can only work for a hour before work.

Replies

• tiangelah
    tiangelah Posts: 144
    Options
    I do cardio for 30 minutes. I run for 20 minutes which is always a little over 2 miles. I walk for 10 minutes or do stationary bike just trying to keep my heart rate never below fat burn level when I walk or do the bike. The rest of the 30 minutes I am stretching and doing crunches. I do a aerboics class on the days that I dont run. Just wondering what everyone else does for cardio and how long they do it for. I can only work for a hour before work.
  • auntkaren
    auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I walk for about 30 minutes with a cane, but someday I hope to rid the cane, but I doubt I will ever do half of what you do:happy: Keep up the good work.
  • eyescatchfire
    eyescatchfire Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I do 45 on the elliptical because it's low impact and I feel very jiggly when I run. :blushing:
  • celeste15
    celeste15 Posts: 51
    Options
    I do a spin class for 45 minutes 3 times a week and then I TRY to do 2 more days of cardio by running, usually at 5MPH for about 20-25 minutes. I'm not sure if that's beneficial or not, running at only 5MPH but my heart rate stays at around 165 or 170 and I'm pretty sure that's above fat burning level. Or is it???
  • Sinnettfamily
    Sinnettfamily Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I do a 30 min step class, then 15 min strength training Balance, and streaching is after that. (stay active)
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I'm up to 18 mins a day on the bike at 100 rtm. I am very pround because when I started I could only do 6 minutes :)
    I also do 5 minutes a day of jumping rope (about 300-350 jumps).

Twice a week I play badminton for about an hour in the evenings too. Plus I walk a lot and do my ab and butt toners.
  • LightenUp_Caro
    LightenUp_Caro Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    It varies for me.
    Usually I'll walk/run for an hour...or at least until i'm up to 5 miles.
    Sometimes I'll elliptical for 30 and bike for 30. It just depends on my mood ha.

I also do a boot camp class twice a week and that keeps my heart rate up.
  • AlbertSchwartz
    Options
    I do 10 minutes on the bike 110 rpm, (warmup) 130 odd cals
    15 minutes on the cross trainer 300 cals
    15 minutes on the stepper 400 cals

With streching before and after it takes up an hour and during excersie my heart rate is around 165 - 180 which is 86 - 94% max heart rate.

:smile:

Al
  • enkcott
    enkcott Posts: 29
    Options
    Daily I do at minimum 30 minutes on the treadmill at a brisk pace, then two days a week I take a 60 minute weight lifting class (BodyPump), three days a week I do pilates plus I wait tables 3-4 nights a week.
  • jnkreis
    jnkreis Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I walk for about 30 minutes with a cane, but someday I hope to rid the cane, but I doubt I will ever do half of what you do:happy: Keep up the good work.

You would be surprised what a healthy lifestyle can do. Keep up the hard work, and you could kick that thing yet! Have you tried water/pool exercises? I know that if you have health insurance, and a Dr. prescribes it, most of the time the insurance will cover the whole thing, or a good portion of it. Hope that helps, but either way, keep it up! :happy:
  • KristieT
    KristieT Posts: 49
    Options
    I usually run or walk, stair master or do the treadmill on incline.

when I do weights i do 10 minutes on the treadmill at about 3.5 incline and 4.3 speed. Just to warm up. In between each rep for weights I get down and do 20 sit-ups. (hold at top and go down slowly). or I do one of the ab machines and I also do sets of pushups in between my reps.

Then afterwards I go work on abs more, with leg lifts, flutter kicks, lungs, etc and different other excerises I want to add in there. But I will do like 4 sets (each set consist of about 4-6 different exercises repeating for each set)

I just try to keep my cardio going while doing weights. So doing the sit ups and pushups in between helps a lot.

Also since my main problem area is my stomach...I wear one of those sweat bands that you wrap around you. I am usually soaked when i take it off.
  • c-grandma
    c-grandma Posts: 73
    Options
    I race walk for 15 min., jog for 15, walk regularly to cool down, for 5 min. Do the stairstepper for 10 min., do floor crunches and leg lifts for 10, then come home and do 60 min. of aerobics, usually 6 days a week. Weights and resistance bands for 10 min., too. I have 5 and 8 lb. weights, and I alternate them Sounds like alot, but it takes alot to get rid of this extra person I'm carrying around with me! I enjoy it, which is the key for me. Godd luck-Chris.
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    I normally do at least 50 minutes (video). A few days a week I'll add another 30 minutes on the elliptical for a total of 80 minutes of cardio. I find it exhilarating and I also feel pumped afterwards.
    Once it warms up :glasses: , I'm planning on jogging again (can't wait). I normally run for 60 minutes. I'll be lighter this summer than I was last summer so it shouldn't be an issue.:bigsmile:
  • oneman86
    oneman86 Posts: 14
    Options
    I try to fit in 45 minutes to an hour of cardio 3 -4 times a week. I mix it up with walking on the treadmill, stairmaster, elliptical and rowing.
  • icupfunny2000
    icupfunny2000 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    reading everyone elses posts i all of a sudden dont feel like im doing enough

i do 20 minutes on the treadmill speed ranges between 3.0 mph and 5.5 mph and i can only do just under a mile in 20 minutes...:embarassed:
    but for now thats the best i can do....
    j~

oh and i do it 5 days a week
  • tiangelah
    tiangelah Posts: 144
    Options
    reading everyone elses posts i all of a sudden dont feel like im doing enough

i do 20 minutes on the treadmill speed ranges between 3.0 mph and 5.5 mph and i can only do just under a mile in 20 minutes...:embarassed:
    but for now thats the best i can do....
    j~

oh and i do it 5 days a week

stay positive before you started you probably could not do that. Good job!!!
  • charny164
    charny164 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I do an hour + of cardio when I'm at the gym (5x/wk) and then about 20 minutes of either a circuit or weight training. I also walk my dogs everyday - rain or shine - and I play soccer. Not a lot of sitting at my house :laugh:
    The cardio I enjoy most is the elliptical and stationary bike. I hate hate hate the treadmill and stepper! I would rather do my walking outside.
  • Phatmomma
    Phatmomma Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I do 30 minutes if the kids allow:ohwell: If I am LUCKY I do an hour. Some days an hour and 1/2 but I try to get my 30 minutes in no matter what and anything longer I am happy.
  • zombiesniper
    Options
    I do 10 min with a 3 min cool down period so 13 min total 2 times a day, plus walking around the office and wlking the dog in the am so i get anywhere from 30-40 min cardio a day.
  • peej76
    peej76 Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    I do an hour cardio (usually some workout vid or another) 5 days a week, sometimes 6 if I'm gonna cheat really bad!!