Could you share your experiences as I feel like a FAILURE!!

Options
1235»

Replies

• SolanumSunrise
    SolanumSunrise Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Jillian Micaels is NOT EASY for beginners. When I tried the 30 day shred in January I could only do one circuit before taking a break. But I took my breaks between circuits and finished the workout like that. After a week or so I was able to do two circuits, and eventually all three. Modify what you need to at first and be consistent and you'll be amazed at how much you can do after 30 days. Be proud of yourself for getting through 10 minutes!
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I started with running 2 years ago, 1 min felt like hell! Did 5 miles as an 'easy' run this morn. Stick with it you'll get there
  • debralekicsummers
    debralekicsummers Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    When i started i could hardly walk a few steps without huffing and puffing. Climbing a few stairs was a mission, At 290 lbs. I tried the orbitrek but hated it. I found Insanity online and ordered it. I know it is really a hard program but ti worked for me. Because it is interval training you go for 3 minutes and then get a rest, so i only had to make it for 3 minutes before i could rest. You also modify it , like the push-ups i started on my knees, you do as much as you can, the jumping i modified in the beginning to do either squats or just lifting 1 leg instead of 2. i don't know for me it worked. The nice thing is the fitter you get the more you can do and it makes you feel really accomplished. The nice thing is you also don't need any equipment and the 1st month is only 45 min a day. You will be stunned at how much your fitness improves after 60 days, it blew my mind and i lost quiet a lot in the 2nd month. Maybe it doesn't work for everyone but it was my life saver. Good luck and i hope you find something, don't give up and trust the process ,you will get there just keep going!
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    You didn't get where you are overnight and you aren't going to get where you want to be overnight either. Maybe instead of jumping right in with the Jillian Michaels workout you could start with walking, even 5 or 10 minutes a day will help, just gradually increase the distance and amount of time you are walking. As the weight comes off and you can walk for longer periods of time try the Jillian Michaels DVD again. Maybe you can only do parts of it but each time try a little more, whether it is another exercise or adding another rep or two to what you can do. Don't get discouraged (hard as that is) it will all come with time. Remember, doing things like housework, gardening, dancing, etc. all count as exercises as well. It also helps if you can find an activity you enjoy, you will stick with it better than something you dread doing. Even a couple of different activities so you can switch up from time to time
  • iamspdd
    iamspdd Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Do what you can. Don't focus on what you can't. Today you got off the couch and turned on the DVD and did 10 minutes. That's more than you did yesterday. When I first started I would do dvd's and when I got too tired my goal was to just keep moving. Even if they were doing jumping jacks I would just lift my legs... just to keep moving. Find out what works for you.

You can do it!
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    By the way, I HATE to sweat! I found water exercise to be very effective and much more enjoyable than other aerobic exercises. And the great thing about it is you don't feel all sweaty once you are done. I don't swim or that would be a good workout as well.
  • LoveDreamSmile
    Options
    Things will get better dear! You are just starting out so I know how that can be overwhelming and be a struggle. Over time you will get stronger..just keep at it..if you have to take a break then fine..just get back at it..keep trying. I started at 265 lbs..I am 5 foot 2 as well..I'm 222 now..I started with 30ds..I didn't take breaks but I did do modifications at first and each day I got stronger..it got to the point where I needed no modifications. I finished that video and have been doing banish fat boost metabolism for 2 weeks now. 40 minutes..no breaks. Now I'm a big girl but I know if I want to be healthy then I have to keep pushing! Believe in yourself..it's mind over matter in the end. :flowerforyou:
  • cicisiam
    cicisiam Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    What a lovely poem you posted. Thank you:flowerforyou:
    You must walk before you run (as others said)!!! I just walk, walk, walk and while in kitchen cooking I do some arm circles etc just keep moving. Park farther away in store parking lot, walk up the stairs if possible. Each day will get better. Put away the Jillian DVD - even too much for me and I am in pretty good shape and am in maintenance mode.

Saw this from someone:

When you've eaten too much and you can't write it down, And you feel like the biggest failure in town. When you want to give up just because you gave in, and forget all about being healthy and thin. So What! You went over your points a bit, It's your next move that counts...So don't you quit! It's a moment of truth, it's an attitude change. It's learning the skills to get back in your range. It's telling yourself, "You've done great up till now. You can take on this challenge and beat it somehow." It's part of your journey toward reaching your goal. You're still gonna make it, just stay in control. To stumble and fall is not a disgrace, If you summon the will to get back in the race. But, often the struggler's, when loosing their grip, Just throw in the towel and continue to slip. And learn too late when the damage is done, that the race wasn't over...they still could have won. Lifestyle change can be awkward and slow, but facing each challenge will help you grow. Success is failure turned inside out, the silver tint in a cloud of doubt. When you're pushing to the brink, just refuse to submit, If you bite it, you write it....But don't you quit!
  • sunnyhlw77
    sunnyhlw77 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    You are never a failure, never ever. I try to keep that word and thinking out of my vocabulary. Think positive. The sun is up somewhere in the world, we've been given life and the means to do anything we want. If you want to lose weight you have to work at it. Like any relationship it takes commitment, support, motivation and love, love for yourself. Good things come to those who work hard. Lasting weight loss is a job, once you reach your goal you will still have to work to maintain it, but you're worth it 100%! There is a key to it and its start out slow. Back in January I started my weight loss journey (I signed up on here only 40 days ago). I started out on my exercise bike for 10 minutes a day, its low impact, I knew I had to go slow because face it I hadn't done a lot for exercise in a couple years. By the end of January I was doing 30 minutes at a time. I did that for a while, trying to increase my distance. In February I was able to start going 45 minutes then when I was comfortable with that I would try to increase my distance, each month I have increased the time I was able to work it out and then when comfortable increase my speed and distance. I've also done the same with walking. I started out walking 20 minutes, did that for a month then when comfortable, I upped the speed sometimes added an incline, I am now after almost a full 4 months, I'm starting to walk 60 minutes and 5K. Slow but sure. I timed my length of walking/biking with my doctor's appointments (I see the doctor monthly) so the week I see the doctor is the week I change the length of time. It has worked pretty good for me, I am now down 24 lbs since January. I wish you luck, you'll do great! :smile:
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    When I was 16 I blew out both of my knees and was diagnosed with patellar subluxation (my kneecaps are unstable and dislocate is the simple explanation). Prior to that I had been very active. Over the next 10 years I put on over 100 pounds. I was on crutches and in physical therapy more times than I could count.

I moved to Rome in 2010 with my boyfriend at the time, and had to walk everywhere. I could barely make it down the street without being soaked in sweat and out of breath. I was miserable. But, I HAD to keep at it. I HAD to walk everywhere. I had NO choice.

When I moved back I was about 25 pounds lighter and could sorta walk around the block. I wanted to do more exercise and keep losing weight but I couldn't do anything more than walk because of my knees. So, I walked around the block every day. Then I did two loops around the block. Then I joined a gym and started swimming.

In September '11 I decided to try to run. I had been told I would never be able to run again without winding up having knee surgery. On October 15, 2011 I ran a 5k.

Y'know, the other day as I was walking home from the gym, I had a flood of emotions. I remembered when I was first walking around that block and had to sit down on a certain bench because I was so tired and out of breath.

You never know what you can do until you try. But, you need building blocks. Even skyscrapers have a foundation. Marathon runners did not wake up one day and run 26.2 miles. Jillian Michaels wasn't born an elite trainer with a great body. As everyone has been saying: start small. Walk before you run. Crawl before you walk.

"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everyone on the couch"
  • Logical_Integrity
    Options
    I started my new healthy living on wednesday so it's only been a few days. Before I did nothing. I suffered from severe depression and spent my time eating and sleeping so my weight is 205 lbs (5ft 2) and my exercise levels are none. Even walking up the stairs causes me to be out of breath :( But today I attempted 10 minutes of a jillian michaels dvd and I couldn't even do all of the exercise and the ones I could do felt like they were killing me. It actually hurt to jump around. I know it's because all my lack of fitness but I feel like a failure for it. I did 10 mins (with a break!) and here I am sweating and purple in the face unable to move. Was anyone else like this?

Yes. Do not give up.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options

Listen to your body. Put that DVD away and go for a walk in the fresh air. Walking is one of the best things you can do for yourself physically and mentally. It does everything in a gentle way, no damage to your knees, builds up your immune system, and burns calories. You can extend the walks as you are able and build up the miles. Getting outside is great for depression, too. Then try the DVD at a later time.

This.....Your body is heavy and unused to exercise. Start slowly with something you enjoy...you'll stick at it longer :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448

This! I've been exercising since I was a toddler and my dad wouldn't carry me on hikes, and I still slow down and do something gentle when my body says to.
  • Eatkansasbeef
    Eatkansasbeef Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Keep up your good work and read this post. It was one of many posts that helped me. Chin up!

http://myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/925286-ultimate-guide-to-weight-loss-tactics
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Put away the DVD. Get yourself a decent pair of shoes and start walking. If walking around the block is all you can do, just do it. Just do it every day. It is the most basic exercise, and it will prepare you for more challenging stuff.

Stay with a plan of conscious eating, and walk. It doesn't have to be more complicated than that at the beginning. Good luck.
  • caranlee
    caranlee Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    i am fairly active, i am overweight by around 56 pounds, but i walk every where and carry my heavy bags of shopping i did the occasional fitness DVD and the wii. but jillian micheals killed me!! i had to stop every few minutes and my body hurt, i am doing the 30 day shred. i now have 3 days left of it and i still find it difficult but i feel amazing. i don't feel depressed my body is toned i have lost 6 lbs so far, i have also given up sugar and white wheat. i took weekends off of excersise as i felt the break would keep me motivated. i am also not tired all the time. i cannot reccomend excersise enough and i love jillian she keeps me motivated and i feel a difference in the first week. keep it up :)