SQUATS?? I need your advice?

Options

Replies

• NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I'm loving the vertical debate! :wink: When I squat, high bar position, my torso is not vertical. It's like the red line /

Startingstrength.jpg
  • kingkoopaluv
    kingkoopaluv Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    REALLY? WASTE OF TIME? HA!
  • KCGettinFit2014
    Options
    HI there...I have been doing squats for about 6 weeks or so and recently started a squat challenge here on MFP. I personally have noticed that my thighs are getting more toned and do strongly recommend them.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I'm loving the vertical debate! :wink: When I squat, high bar position, my torso is not vertical. It's like the red line /

Startingstrength.jpg
    Exactly. The line is straight, but most certainly not vertical.

Same goes for this position:

squat-torso-position.png?w=584

Both positions keep the torso straight, but both lines are clearly NOT vertical, as the torso is NOT vertical.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Okay, I get it now. The problem was torso. Firstly, I was just reiterating what my coaches taught me, and secondly I didn't know the proper definition of torso (that it includes your midsection as well, I thought it was just chest and above).

So what terminology would everyone else use to describe keeping your chest out, shoulders back and head forward like you would standing in an upright position? Maybe my coaches said it wrong but it seemed to work as far as teaching me proper form.
  • DouMc
    DouMc Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ghsfitnesspal
    ghsfitnesspal Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Bumping because I always fall backwards when I try and keep my back vertical (as in entire upper body!) because that's what I've read and been told - seeing those drawings is really helpful, thanks to the original poster of the drawings. And OP for this topic, as I also use dumbells at home.

Hmmm...30 day challenge here I come...
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Bumping because I always fall backwards when I try and keep my back vertical (as in entire upper body!) because that's what I've read and been told - seeing those drawings is really helpful, thanks to the original poster of the drawings. And OP for this topic, as I also use dumbells at home.

Notice that in all of those pictures the weight is straight above the center of your feet. That's where the weight needs to be centered to keep you from losing your balance.

When you're first starting, it's really hard to tell if you have the bar in the right place. Get someone to watch you and tell you if you're too far back, or too far forward.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Okay, I get it now. The problem was torso. Firstly, I was just reiterating what my coaches taught me, and secondly I didn't know the proper definition of torso (that it includes your midsection as well, I thought it was just chest and above).

So what terminology would everyone else use to describe keeping your chest out, shoulders back and head forward like you would standing in an upright position? Maybe my coaches said it wrong but it seemed to work as far as teaching me proper form.
    Basically you're looking at maintaining what's called "neutral spine" which is paramount for safety. All the good videos, pictures, etc., are of people maintaining 'neutral spine'. I believe that's the terminology you're searching for here.

The neutral spine is by far the safest for squats, deadlifts, pendlay rows, overhead press, etc. Heck, even bench press should maintain the neutral spine - even though a bench press is performed lying down, you should not have a flat back while pressing, but you should still maintain that slight arch in your lumbar area, have your chest out, etc.)

What IS vertical, however, is the position of the bar/load over the mid-point of the foot. Regardless of the type of squat, the load will be balanced vertically over the mid-point of the foot.
  • kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Or video yourself and post it.
  • mylittletribe
    Options
    I started out the squat challenge on April 1st, a complete fitness zombie. The first few days KILLED me, but now I'm kicking *kitten*, literally. My clothing fits differently in my eh, backside, and my thighs are most definitely stronger and looking better. OH, and between squats, 30DS, and eating clean, I've shed 2" off each thigh.
  • ghsfitnesspal
    ghsfitnesspal Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    QUOTE:

QUOTE:
    Notice that in all of those pictures the weight is straight above the center of your feet. That's where the weight needs to be centered to keep you from losing your balance.
    When you're first starting, it's really hard to tell if you have the bar in the right place. Get someone to watch you and tell you if you're too far back, or too far forward.

I will keep in mind where the body weight needs to be certainly, thanks! I saw that people suggest goblet squats if you're using dumbells - could someone suggest more?
    I sometimes hold the heavier one out straight in front of me with both hands, but I'm not sure this is the best use of the dumbells!
  • kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Have you tried squatting placing small weight plates under your heels. Some people having problems with flexibility and need to start here to perform a squat.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,691 Member
    Options
    I started out the squat challenge on April 1st, a complete fitness zombie. The first few days KILLED me, but now I'm kicking *kitten*, literally. My clothing fits differently in my eh, backside, and my thighs are most definitely stronger and looking better. OH, and between squats, 30DS, and eating clean, I've shed 2" off each thigh.
    Unfortunately that many bodyweight squats don't translate to body recomp as much a weighted squats with muscle under tension. You've attained muscular endurance from them, but strength comes from progressive resistance.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Squats are about the best lower body complex exercise you can do. In fact, it's a must-do if you're serious about strength training or even toning. It's part of everyone's routine and is very effective for the entire lower body. It also has some cardio effect.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Squats? Are they effective for toning my things? Or is it a waste of time/exercise? Your thoughts please?

Thank you,
    Roe
    Squats are the single best strength-training exercise you can do. They strengthen your core, strengthen your glutes, hamstrings and quads and women who squat look MUCH better (a generalization to be sure, and also from this guy's perspective) than women who don't.

Do not worry that squats or any other compound exercise will make you bulky - it won't.

... and don't just squat ... all the main compound exercises are excellent for women:

Squat, Bent-over row, deadlift, overhead press, bench press, etc.

This. Squats are far from a waste of time!
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Agreed. I too am speaking about basic squats. The heavy Olympic squats are not for everyone. And, if you have bad knees or other issues, you may need to modify. But you don't need a heavy barbell on your shoulders to benefit from squats.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options

Basically you're looking at maintaining what's called "neutral spine" which is paramount for safety. All the good videos, pictures, etc., are of people maintaining 'neutral spine'. I believe that's the terminology you're searching for here.

The neutral spine is by far the safest for squats, deadlifts, pendlay rows, overhead press, etc. Heck, even bench press should maintain the neutral spine - even though a bench press is performed lying down, you should not have a flat back while pressing, but you should still maintain that slight arch in your lumbar area, have your chest out, etc.)

Thank you. My coaches talked about the lumbar curve and neutral spine differently from chest/shoulder/head position.
    What IS vertical, however, is the position of the bar/load over the mid-point of the foot. Regardless of the type of squat, the load will be balanced vertically over the mid-point of the foot.

Yes. I tried to explain this in my previous post, and I think that's the point they were trying to make about remaining vertical.
  • nygrl4evr
    nygrl4evr Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    BUMP...love all the great information!
  • suzzann666
    suzzann666 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    im trying the 30 day squat challenge. watching my calories for a week and doing the squats and my mom came over and made a comment about my thighs already. i hope its the squats. try it it cant hurt:)
    There's really no need to do this many squats daily. But if it floats your boat......
    Squats...awesome...hundreds of squats for 30 days straight...overkill!

To the OP, no squats aren't a waste of time.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition