ALWAYS hungry. HELP

Options
For some reason it feels like I am never full anymore.

I have tried snacking healthy and drinking more water but that still only works for about an hour. I do not make time to eat small meals every few hours but have given consideration that this may help. I have not been diagnosed, but believe that I may have hypoglycemia since I get light headed and disorientated if I do not eat every few hours. Does anyone have any suggestions or is there anyone else whom also has this problem?

Also, I quit smoking about a month ago so I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it.

Replies

• rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking it might help if you opened your diary.
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Agree an open diary would help. I also find it common that people try and eat well below their goal and when you add in the typical 500 cal deficit that MFP puts in you end up being way under and hungry
  • 86_Ohms
    86_Ohms Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Try to up your fats and proteins, whether you get it from meat or oils (avacado, coconut, olive).

And to echo the others above me, open your diary to public: Settings - Profile Privacy Settings - MFP members only or Everyone
  • Live4theLift
    Options
    I would eat more protein, whole grains and fiber. Those will help keep you fuller longer. Also an increase in water intake can help curb hunger as well
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    I would eat more protein, whole grains and fiber. Those will help keep you fuller longer.
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Try to up your fats and proteins, whether you get it from meat or oils (avacado, coconut, olive).

And to echo the others above me, open your diary to public: Settings - Profile Privacy Settings - MFP members only or Everyone

This. More Protein/Fat. Make it closer to 40% of your diet. It helps.
  • lobo_a_gogo
    lobo_a_gogo Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    take cinnamon pills (seriously, it helps keep your sugar in check)

drink even MORE water.

keep small pre-portioned healthy snacks on you (i.e. a ziplock baggie with one serving of nuts)

see if there's another "reward" other than food you're getting when you're triggered to eat (i.e. when I leave my office to go to the vending machine I get a break from working and a few minutes to hang out and chat with my coworkers... i can do that without getting food!)
  • blu64
    blu64 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    when I get hungry like that, if I am sure I have enough calories, I get up and get out of the house to take my mind off of it. But if you are hungry all the time you may need to up your protein some.
  • sarab99
    sarab99 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    You may be right about the hypoglycemia, but since you're having these symptoms and your profile states you've had pancreas issues I would say it's time to check in with the Dr. to make sure you're doing what your body needs.
  • Elif84
    Elif84 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Eating more protein and fats may curb your hunger. I'm hungry all of the time too so I just increased my calories and I still lost weight. You may want to check with your doctor though, I am Type 1 diabetic and I get low blood sugar from time to time, which makes me feel hungry.
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    MORE PROTEIN!

(yah, what everyone else said)

If that doesn't help, talk to your doctor.
  • angel_of_harmony
    angel_of_harmony Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking it might help if you opened your diary.

I am sorry, I thought it was public already. I have made it viewable and for reference I have been active since April 11th of this year.
  • angel_of_harmony
    Options
    Agree an open diary would help. I also find it common that people try and eat well below their goal and when you add in the typical 500 cal deficit that MFP puts in you end up being way under and hungry

Thanks for your advice! I went back through and checked the entries that I have logged; seems like I am staying on track for calories; there are a few days that I've gone over 100-300 calories due to snacking or eating late meals.
  • angel_of_harmony
    Options

Due to my problem with my pancreas I am only suppose to eat between 45-60 grams of fat a day, which I generally stay around.

I have made my diary public if that helps. :)
  • angel_of_harmony
    Options
    take cinnamon pills (seriously, it helps keep your sugar in check)

drink even MORE water.

keep small pre-portioned healthy snacks on you (i.e. a ziplock baggie with one serving of nuts)

see if there's another "reward" other than food you're getting when you're triggered to eat (i.e. when I leave my office to go to the vending machine I get a break from working and a few minutes to hang out and chat with my coworkers... i can do that without getting food!)

I will have to look into cinnamon pills; I have heard that cinnamon in general is very good for you.

I also love your idea of pre-portioned snack bags; I will try that this next week and let you know how it works out for me.
  • angel_of_harmony
    Options
    You may be right about the hypoglycemia, but since you're having these symptoms and your profile states you've had pancreas issues I would say it's time to check in with the Dr. to make sure you're doing what your body needs.

I was recently approved for temporary insurance so will check with my dr and see if I can see a dietitian. They have been very generic with me and say "loose weight, watch what you eat, eat a high protein low fat diet and avoid saturated fats".

They have not tested my blood sugars yet so I will bring that up also at my next visit.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Your protein seems low. I would also remove transfats or saturate fat and replace it with carbs. I have a feeling your carbs are really high.

Also, don't worry about buying cinnamon pills, they wont' really do anything.
  • teebeegeebee
    teebeegeebee Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water, sometimes the body confuses thirst with hunger, You should drink your 8 glasses of water every day and you will be less hungry.
    I do mine like this
    1 - when I get up and make a morning coffee or tea
    1 - when I have had my breakfast
    1 - at luchtime
    4 - at the gym when I workout, funny I drink all that and I still weigh at least o.5kg less at the end of my session than when I started
    1 - In the evening afer dinner as I sometimes get the munchies

Sometimes I am still hungry in the evening, usually when I am under my daily calories allowed , so I will snack and have more water with the snack

If you get bored with plain water, add a slice or two of lemon to it. It helps! I also use a diet cordial and count it back in my calories

good luck
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    If you're always hungry, you're probably missing a necessary bit of nutrition. Try to figure out what it is.
    The low fat could be it. Another one I often see is people with very low fiber tend to be hungry. I just took a quick look at your diary, and without the fiber count turned on, I'm not sure, but it looks ok... still, you could try increasing it. Some people also get hungry because they're low on protein (doesn't look like an issue for you either) or B vitamins. Smoking decreases the level of B vitamins... I doubt it, but maybe your body is still catching up on them?? And as you suggest, it could be because you quit smoking. Are you really stomach rumbling hungry or just missing putting something in your mouth?
    Unfortunately I don' see anything obvious... which is also good news, you're not doing something really idiotic.
    Howe much are you exercising? And are you eating back your exercise calories? It looks like you are.
    Sorry... guess you'll have to play around with it.
    I collected some bits about cravings (not true hunger) at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Robin_Bin/view/cravings-282817 maybe you'll see something to try there?
    Good luck!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    How long has it been going on? I always have a couple days around ovulation when I'm just starving. But it doesn't last long.