ALWAYS hungry. HELP

Options

Replies

1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Wheat made me feel like a bottomless pit. I was a terrible binge eater until I removed the wheat from my diet. Now I have appetite control.
  • msmimi
    msmimi Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Your diet seems overly carbohydrate rich. You may want to start tracking your carbs and make adjustments. Upping your protein and fat while lowering the carbs will satisfy you longer. I know when I eat too many carbs I stay hungry. :sad: But they are sooooo good.
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    Your protein seems low. I would also remove transfats or saturate fat and replace it with carbs. I have a feeling your carbs are really high.

Also, don't worry about buying cinnamon pills, they wont' really do anything.

If you really want to try cinnamon just buy ground cinnamon spice and mix 2Tsp with 2Tbs peanutbutter and eat it on celery. This way you also get a fat and protein boost that will keep you sated to go with it.
  • angel_of_harmony
    angel_of_harmony Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Your protein seems low. I would also remove transfats or saturate fat and replace it with carbs. I have a feeling your carbs are really high.

I will see if I can find some other substitutions for protein since I cannot have very much fat in my diet.

My carbs average around 300g per day; which is normal.
  • angel_of_harmony
    Options
    Drink lots of water, sometimes the body confuses thirst with hunger, You should drink your 8 glasses of water every day and you will be less hungry.
    I do mine like this
    1 - when I get up and make a morning coffee or tea
    1 - when I have had my breakfast
    1 - at luchtime
    4 - at the gym when I workout, funny I drink all that and I still weigh at least o.5kg less at the end of my session than when I started
    1 - In the evening afer dinner as I sometimes get the munchies

Sometimes I am still hungry in the evening, usually when I am under my daily calories allowed , so I will snack and have more water with the snack

If you get bored with plain water, add a slice or two of lemon to it. It helps! I also use a diet cordial and count it back in my calories

good luck

I actually order water with lemon when I go out to eat in substitution of soda pop.

I will see if I can get into a routine of drinking water on a schedule and will let you know if that helps.

Thanks for your advice!
  • angel_of_harmony
    Options
    If you're always hungry, you're probably missing a necessary bit of nutrition. Try to figure out what it is.
    The low fat could be it. Another one I often see is people with very low fiber tend to be hungry. I just took a quick look at your diary, and without the fiber count turned on, I'm not sure, but it looks ok... still, you could try increasing it. Some people also get hungry because they're low on protein (doesn't look like an issue for you either) or B vitamins. Smoking decreases the level of B vitamins... I doubt it, but maybe your body is still catching up on them?? And as you suggest, it could be because you quit smoking. Are you really stomach rumbling hungry or just missing putting something in your mouth?
    Unfortunately I don' see anything obvious... which is also good news, you're not doing something really idiotic.
    Howe much are you exercising? And are you eating back your exercise calories? It looks like you are.
    Sorry... guess you'll have to play around with it.
    I collected some bits about cravings (not true hunger) at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Robin_Bin/view/cravings-282817 maybe you'll see something to try there?
    Good luck!

Thanks for the link! I will check it out and let you know if anything catches my eye.

Also, I will check into B vitamins; currently I take a daily multi-vitamin but perhaps I will have to get an additional supplement. I honestly do not know how to track that since it is not an option on mfp.

I checked and my fiber ranges about 20-35g per day so that is a normal range.
  • angel_of_harmony
    Options
    How long has it been going on? I always have a couple days around ovulation when I'm just starving. But it doesn't last long.

It has been since I got my appetite back after being in the hospital, so probably a month now at least. I have already had a regular menstrual cycle and it didn't increase or decrease my appetite besides craving chocolate and salty/greasy foods.
  • angel_of_harmony
    Options

If you really want to try cinnamon just buy ground cinnamon spice and mix 2Tsp with 2Tbs peanutbutter and eat it on celery. This way you also get a fat and protein boost that will keep you sated to go with it.

I actually cannot eat peanut butter but love cinnamon on my toast in the mornings so will try that.
  • Etienne54
    Etienne54 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    You should try to track these instead, Carb, Protein, fat, sodium, fiber.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    I actually cannot eat peanut butter but love cinnamon on my toast in the mornings so will try that.

are you allergic? peanut butter is awesome.

more protein. honestly. also porridge for breakfast is boss. you shouldn't need to eat special pills - i.e cinnamon, probably just up your protein and fibre.

eat carrots. i found this handy. carrots have a lot of fibre, and low cals so when i feel hungry in-between meals I have a large carrot and it will literally make you not hungry.

I also used to eat a large carrot before eating a snack bar, as when you want the snack bar you are trying to satisfy hunger, and it doesnt work cause its just a processed bar of carby sh^t. haha.

CARROTS TO SAVE THE DAY! its natures candy bar.

but yah, I was hungry a lot before I started eating more protein and fibre. thats a universal thing I'd say.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    what about weight watchers ?
  • angel_of_harmony
    Options
    Thanks; it would be helpful if you posted a link to where I can find what my daily values of these are suppose to be or how this can help me.
  • angel_of_harmony
    Options

are you allergic? peanut butter is awesome.

more protein. honestly. also porridge for breakfast is boss. you shouldn't need to eat special pills - i.e cinnamon, probably just up your protein and fibre.

eat carrots. i found this handy. carrots have a lot of fibre, and low cals so when i feel hungry in-between meals I have a large carrot and it will literally make you not hungry.

I also used to eat a large carrot before eating a snack bar, as when you want the snack bar you are trying to satisfy hunger, and it doesnt work cause its just a processed bar of carby sh^t. haha.

CARROTS TO SAVE THE DAY! its natures candy bar.

but yah, I was hungry a lot before I started eating more protein and fibre. thats a universal thing I'd say.

No I am not, but my dr told me to avoid it; there is a concentrated amount of fat in just a tablespoon. I really do miss it; especially on celery.

As I mentioned before, my fiber is in normal range for an average diet. I do love carrots though so will see what I can do.
  • angel_of_harmony
    Options
    what about weight watchers ?

What about it? I'm confused.

If you're asking if I have tried it; no I have not.

I'm not sure how doing weight watchers would help me not be hungry between meals.

I also have to follow a strict lowfat diet so I do not know if weight watchers is something that would work.
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options

Maybe almond butter. It helps to have something to mix it with if you are going to get the 2 tsp that is recommended to help with appetite.
  • smn76237
    smn76237 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Why did your doctor recommend a low-fat diet, if you don't mind me asking?
    300g seems high for carbs for me. Although I enjoy my carbs and sugar, they do nothing to fill me up. If you can't have fat (which is very satisfying to me), increase your protein. There are a lot of protein sources with low or no fat like greek yogurt.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I am curious too about why you have to limit fat unless you have current pancreatitis attacks. My wife had pancreatitis but once we got it under control she was able to increase her fat intake. In fact, based on her heart condition, she needs a diet high in fats and protein and needs to limit carbs. It's been about 1.5 years since her last attack. Maybe something to revisit. But a diet high in carbs will lead to hunger.
  • RangerJess
    Options
    You may want to see the doctor about the hypoglycemia. If that's part of the problem seeing the doc will help!

Anecdotally, I know when I started on MFP I was hungry ALL the time. That's gone away now. Maybe my body just got used to it? How long have you been counting calories?
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    id say eat more lower GI foods
    change white rice to brown rice, potatoes to sweet potatoes, more whole wheat bread rather than white
    I used to have the same problem and thats what my doctor told me to do

http://www.the-gi-diet.org/lowgifoods/

examples of low and high GI foods
  • skinnydreams19
    skinnydreams19 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, I eat over 2000 calories a day and am still hungry a lot. If you figure it out, please message me!