is hanging up laundry considered exercise?

Options

Replies

• BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    No. No it is not. Not if you're being honest about your TDEE.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    okay thanks just was curious. Its not on the database. well this is week 2 for me, i didnt even realise i was eating my exercise calories till one of my friends told me not to eat them up I do put cleaning as work out even a light one cause i clean a room in my house a day. Its still moving....but shoo carrying those heavy washing baskets out to the line i could feel my heart beating. lol

Those activities should be considered when putting in your daily activity level. Virtually no one who isn't bedridden is actually sedentary- if you cook or do chores on a regular basis, you are, at the very least, lightly active. As such, things like cooking and cleaning shouldn't be counted as "exercise".

Rule of thumb: if you did it regularly while gaining weight or before attempting to lose weight, don't log it as exercise.
    So, a person who jogged 5 miles every day and gained weight because they were at a surplus of calories, shouldn't log the 5 miles once they start dieting?

Source for this, please?
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I once saw someone log "Food Preparation - 3 minutes". I don't think glopping a can of Chef-Boyardee into a bowl and putting in the microwave really qualifies as exercise, but whatever makes you happy, right?
    :laugh:

i have to laugh because really, youre only cheating yourself

Yup. Exactly.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    see it all the time, and when I made a post about people's opinions when I highlighted people are cheating themselves, apparently I was a b**ch. They needed some flowers I think :flowerforyou: to feel better for cheating themselves by logging basic daily things.
    [/quote]

I've actually seen someone log playing a cello (instrument that is played while sitting down!) as exercise!!!!!!
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    Options
    okay thanks just was curious. Its not on the database. well this is week 2 for me, i didnt even realise i was eating my exercise calories till one of my friends told me not to eat them up I do put cleaning as work out even a light one cause i clean a room in my house a day. Its still moving....but shoo carrying those heavy washing baskets out to the line i could feel my heart beating. lol

Those activities should be considered when putting in your daily activity level. Virtually no one who isn't bedridden is actually sedentary- if you cook or do chores on a regular basis, you are, at the very least, lightly active. As such, things like cooking and cleaning shouldn't be counted as "exercise".

Rule of thumb: if you did it regularly while gaining weight or before attempting to lose weight, don't log it as exercise.
    So, a person who jogged 5 miles every day and gained weight because they were at a surplus of calories, shouldn't log the 5 miles once they start dieting?

Source for this, please?

If it's something they did regularly as a part of their routine, then no. That activity and those calories burned should be included in their daily activity. If someone jogs 5 miles daily, they would be considered, at the very least, moderately active. If it's a regular thing in your routine, it should be part of your daily activity, not extra.
  • sunnmuun
    sunnmuun Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    It is if you put the washing basket as far from the washing line as possible & hang one item up at a time per trip. Takes me about an hour to hang the washing. I then take it down the same way. With my fitbit I can get about 5-6 thousand steps just doing it each time..... enough that I do work up a sweat cause I'm going so fast. I just had to hang my stuff up inside cause it's raining.... washing at one end of the house...clotheshorse at the other...ONE item at a time. Took me 4000 steps to do half, I'm talking ONE sock, ONE underwear, ONE tshirt, ONE pair of pants..... per trip. So grab ONE...walk to line....hang...walk back empty handed....grab one...walk to line..... you get it now?

ANYTHING can be classed as exercise if you do it right..... you should see me clean the floors.

DO NOT LISTEN to those people who do NOT class it as exercise...... if you do it like I do then it's a bloody workout in itself. I didn't hang washing like that when I was fat.

Bending and hanging repeatedly is exercise...it can be sweaty work. Anything that makes you move more that you did before is worthy...
  • Logical_Integrity
    Options
    exercise-bodily or mental exertion, especially for the sake of training or improvement of health: Walking is good exercise.

No. Doing laundry is not exercise, neither is housework or yard work. I do not understand why people add these actions as exercise. I assume they make them feel like they are accomplishing something other than cleanliness.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    doh!

i'm gonna go with NO. I mean really. Lets be honest with ourselves here, shall we???
  • SquidandWhale
    Options
    I log food prep. I'll make three days worth of breakfast, lunch, and dinner, which can be 3+ hours in one night. So hell yes I log that as exercise.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

Source for this, please?

If it's something they did regularly as a part of their routine, then no. That activity and those calories burned should be included in their daily activity. If someone jogs 5 miles daily, they would be considered, at the very least, moderately active. If it's a regular thing in your routine, it should be part of your daily activity, not extra.
    Out of curiosity, how do you think TDEE is calculated here?
  • Caperfae
    Caperfae Posts: 433
    Options
    I never count household chores unless it's shoveling snow, mowing the lawn or raking leaves ... those things to me burn more calories than washing dishes, mopping the floors ... etc.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    Options
    I havent got a small 1 room place my kitchen is about 172 square feet My lounge and bathroom together are even bigger.... I dont live in one room by myself, i have a family too. lol

Me too. I sweep, swiffer, vacuum and mop daily. I do laundry (which is in the basement, so stairs are involved) daily. I cook every day, and chase around a 14 month old, while 7 months pregnant.

the only things I log as exercise are: walking, swimming, other gym activities (lifting weights) and yoga. The calories I burn via cooking and cleaning daily are counted in my daily activity level, which is set at moderately active.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I log food prep. I'll make three days worth of breakfast, lunch, and dinner, which can be 3+ hours in one night. So hell yes I log that as exercise.

What are you making???
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    No.

When the weather is nice I hang my clothes to dry. This is not exercise. You may feel your heart beating but are you breaking a continuous sweat? No.

Sweating has NOTHING to do with exercise. My uncle can break into a continuous sweat on command. I don't sweat hardly at all, no matter how hard I'm working out.
  • Tonijking
    Tonijking Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Really shocked at some of the responses to this we are all in the same boat here trying to be more healthy and active why make fun of people ? Maybe YOU don't count it as exercise ( and that is your right) but surely you can be polite and supportive in your answer isn't that the point of the forums?
  • climbamnt
    climbamnt Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Instead of including everything you do through the day, why don't you get some type of activity measuring device. A FitBit, BodyMeadia, etc?
  • sunnmuun
    sunnmuun Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Really shocked at some of the responses to this we are all in the same boat here trying to be more healthy and active why make fun of people ? Maybe YOU don't count it as exercise ( and that is your right) but surely you can be polite and supportive in your answer isn't that the point of the forums?

:drinker: :drinker:
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Only exercise...Utilize the "sedentary, lightly active...." for things like cooking, cleaning. I especially agree with the lady who said if you did all these things before you start MFP and were overweight then you should not use them for exercise now, they are part of your daily activity level.
  • Melodypharmon
    Options
    I would consider it exercise. It has a lot of bending, and moving. I log pretty much everything I do for my own record, but I don't eat those calories. I just want to have as many things as possible to view improvement in my overall health.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options

Kudos to you for saying this!