is hanging up laundry considered exercise?

Options

Replies

• ForABetterMe89
    Options
    While sure it's burning calories I wouldn't consider it exercize. I also wouldn't log you're cleaning as exercize as it's you're daily routine. I would think that would be like logging walking up the steps to go to the bathroom. When you chose your activity level I would say that includes your cleaning.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    To the OP, if you're set at sedentary (which you shouldn't be if you're standing at your job most of the time, you should be lightly active I'd believe) then I'd count it. If you're set as lightly active, I wouldn't, unless you were doing it the way it was suggested earlier (the one item at a time and everything, that's brilliant!).

Nothing is an exact science no matter what people try to say. You have to figure out what's going to work for you and allow you to reach your goals. If it doesn't work, make adjustments. We're all learning how to be healthier...if we had all the "right" answers we wouldn't be here for sure. Just remember that! :flowerforyou:
  • keithmustloseweight
    keithmustloseweight Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I am getting a lot of hate for logging standing up on the bus

This video shows that food preperation is an exertion on the body- the person is sweating from the hard work in preparing this meal. The video says it all, their heart rate was probably at 80-90% of maximum in the key fat burning zone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4zw99VsoMA
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    okay thanks just was curious. Its not on the database. well this is week 2 for me, i didnt even realise i was eating my exercise calories till one of my friends told me not to eat them up I do put cleaning as work out even a light one cause i clean a room in my house a day. Its still moving....but shoo carrying those heavy washing baskets out to the line i could feel my heart beating. lol

Those activities should be considered when putting in your daily activity level. Virtually no one who isn't bedridden is actually sedentary- if you cook or do chores on a regular basis, you are, at the very least, lightly active. As such, things like cooking and cleaning shouldn't be counted as "exercise".

Rule of thumb: if you did it regularly while gaining weight or before attempting to lose weight, don't log it as exercise.
    So, a person who jogged 5 miles every day and gained weight because they were at a surplus of calories, shouldn't log the 5 miles once they start dieting?

Source for this, please?

If it's something they did regularly as a part of their routine, then no. That activity and those calories burned should be included in their daily activity. If someone jogs 5 miles daily, they would be considered, at the very least, moderately active. If it's a regular thing in your routine, it should be part of your daily activity, not extra.
    Out of curiosity, how do you think TDEE is calculated here?

I'm confused by your question, as it seems to lend itself to my argument, but I'll humor you.

One's total daily energy expenditure is calculated based on someone's *daily* activities. It can be somewhat subjective, depending on how you figure that number- If you exercise daily and figure it into your TDEE (for numerical calculation purposes) then you should not be logging and eating those calories back. If you are trying to lose weight and are eating a percentage lower than your TDEE which includes that daily activity, and then you eat those calories back, you are lessening your net deficit of calories burned.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Really shocked at some of the responses to this we are all in the same boat here trying to be more healthy and active why make fun of people ? Maybe YOU don't count it as exercise ( and that is your right) but surely you can be polite and supportive in your answer isn't that the point of the forums?

No. We are not all in the same boat. Some people take their health seriously and don't try and fool themselves into believing that they're doing more than they are, while also not taking themselves too seriously. When you start calling anything other than sitting on the couch exercise, you start overestimating your calorie burn. The inevitable result is failure to lose weight, and often a post about how counting calories doesn't work.

Are some people needlessly "laughing" in their responses? Perhaps they are. But let it go. I've certainly laughed at a number of my own mistakes over the years. It's part of making the learning process less painful.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    If you wouldn't do it at a gym, it's probably not exercise.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Really shocked at some of the responses to this we are all in the same boat here trying to be more healthy and active why make fun of people ? Maybe YOU don't count it as exercise ( and that is your right) but surely you can be polite and supportive in your answer isn't that the point of the forums?

No. We are not all in the same boat. Some people take their health seriously and don't try and fool themselves into believing that they're doing more than they are, while also not taking themselves too seriously. When you start calling anything other than sitting on the couch exercise, you start overestimating your calorie burn. The inevitable result is failure to lose weight, and often a post about how counting calories doesn't work.

Are some people needlessly "laughing" in their responses? Perhaps they are. But let it go. I've certainly laughed at a number of my own mistakes over the years. It's part of making the learning process less painful.

So because the OP is asking a question, a valid one at that, and is trying to learn, she's not taking her health seriously? Seems like a bit of a pompous statement if you ask me.
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I am getting a lot of hate for logging standing up on the bus

This video shows that food preperation is an exertion on the body- the person is sweating from the hard work in preparing this meal. The video says it all, their heart rate was probably at 80-90% of maximum in the key fat burning zone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4zw99VsoMA
    lmaaaaaaoooooo
  • Logical_Integrity
    Options

:drinker:
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    okay thanks just was curious. Its not on the database. well this is week 2 for me, i didnt even realise i was eating my exercise calories till one of my friends told me not to eat them up I do put cleaning as work out even a light one cause i clean a room in my house a day. Its still moving....but shoo carrying those heavy washing baskets out to the line i could feel my heart beating. lol

Those activities should be considered when putting in your daily activity level. Virtually no one who isn't bedridden is actually sedentary- if you cook or do chores on a regular basis, you are, at the very least, lightly active. As such, things like cooking and cleaning shouldn't be counted as "exercise".

Rule of thumb: if you did it regularly while gaining weight or before attempting to lose weight, don't log it as exercise.
    So, a person who jogged 5 miles every day and gained weight because they were at a surplus of calories, shouldn't log the 5 miles once they start dieting?

Source for this, please?

If it's something they did regularly as a part of their routine, then no. That activity and those calories burned should be included in their daily activity. If someone jogs 5 miles daily, they would be considered, at the very least, moderately active. If it's a regular thing in your routine, it should be part of your daily activity, not extra.

I'm confused by your question, as it seems to lend itself to my argument, but I'll humor you.

One's total daily energy expenditure is calculated based on someone's *daily* activities. It can be somewhat subjective, depending on how you figure that number- If you exercise daily and figure it into your TDEE (for numerical calculation purposes) then you should not be logging and eating those calories back. If you are trying to lose weight and are eating a percentage lower than your TDEE which includes that daily activity, and then you eat those calories back, you are lessening your net deficit of calories burned.
    TDEE on MFP includes the exercise YOU tell it (*not* just your activity level, which is reflected in your BMR) and includes the deficit (or, for some, gain) you've told it you'd like to achieve. Your activity level as they phrase the question is based on your typical job-related activities - unless they've modified that since I signed up and I missed a memo. It's not based on whether you're going to the gym, or doing 5x5, or running 10 miles a day, because those factors aren't included in their questions about activity level. Unless you deliberately chose a more active lifestyle than the questions MFP asks would lead you to choose, neglecting to log additional exercise does nothing but deprive you of macros you could still eat to achieve your goals, possibly stalling your progress in the process.
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I've put laundry on a line, and frankly, it's a lot of work. I can't believe my mom did it because she enjoyed it or liked the smell of it or whatever. My arms/shoulders burned to the point I had to stop and rest. It's hard to hold your arms that high for that long...the heavier the clothes, the harder it is. IT IS HARD WORK. (If it's something you do in addition to your regular chores, then log that puppy! If you already counted in your weekly activity level, then perhaps not.)

And....I think you are amazing!

I believe in your arms being strong from increasing your own hard work, not just hanging out at a gym...cutting and hauling our firewood kept my arms and back looking great for years. Homemaking is work--it requires time, effort, attention, and a raised heart-rate. Extra gardening burns calories above my normal activity. I have to eat more when I dig and hoe. That's why a lot of people pay others to do it, or don't do it at all. I add chores and just try to stay more active. That may not be "exercise" to some, but it burns a whole lot more calories than sitting on the computer wasting time too much of the time, eating snacks, which was my problem through an injury last year. Extra housework requires stairs, hauling things, and walking. It shouldn't be all you do, but it can count for part of it. Find the balanced answer here. Are you sorry you asked? LOL
  • SquidandWhale
    Options
    I log food prep. I'll make three days worth of breakfast, lunch, and dinner, which can be 3+ hours in one night. So hell yes I log that as exercise.

What are you making???

Typically for breakfast I'll make a large batch of oatmeal and/or eggs, weigh out individual portions and food savor the packages. For lunches I eat various salads, so I chop enough lettuce and vegetables to last for three large salads, plus thee small ones for dinner. Generally I'll poach some eggs, and a chicken breast for added protein during salad prep. Dinner is whatever I've found that looks good, and will fit within my macos, off eatingwell.com. Again, everything weighed out and food savored into individual packages; however, I usually do three different meals to give me variety for dinner and my freezer. Also, I don't eat processed foods which is an SOB in the time department.

I clean up before starting a new meal because dirty dishes really freak me out. So yeah, it takes a crazy amount of time, but the perk is the entire next month I have enough meals saved that I don't have to cook dinner at all.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options

Source for this, please?

TDEE on MFP includes the exercise YOU tell it (*not* just your activity level, which is reflected in your BMR) and includes the deficit (or, for some, gain) you've told it you'd like to achieve. Your activity level as they phrase the question is based on your typical job-related activities - unless they've modified that since I signed up and I missed a memo. It's not based on whether you're going to the gym, or doing 5x5, or running 10 miles a day, because those factors aren't included in their questions about activity level. Unless you deliberately chose a more active lifestyle than the questions MFP asks would lead you to choose, neglecting to log additional exercise does nothing but deprive you of macros you could still eat to achieve your goals, possibly stalling your progress in the process.

Your interpretation works inso far as it relates to what people tell it. And you are correct- if someone who, given their schedule is actually lightly or moderately active, sets themselves at sedentary then yes, depriving themselves of those macros which adding those calories provides can be detrimental. However, as I have stated, I personally have myself set at moderately active, because I spend much of my day cleaning, grocery shopping, playing with my child... I log my "exercise" like going for a hike, water aerobics class, swimming, etc.. as exercise, because while I strive to get to the gym 5x a week, it doesn't always happen. When I do log exercise, I try to eat it back.

Edited to add: it seems to be working for me!
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    It all depends on how much effort you put in and what you have your activity level set at. Mine is set to sedentary because I spend 9 hours a day at a desk. I do occasionally log cooking or cleaning. I don't log a quick pass over my kitchen but if I really clean, I log it. I'm talking about sweeping, mopping, scrubbing counters, etc. Same with cooking. I don't log making dinner but I do log when I spend 6-7 hours making meals for the entire week. I have finished a workout, kept my HRM on and gone immediately into one of these activities so I know they keep my heart rate up. I don't want to overestimate so I only log part of the time. For example, if I spend 6 house making 2 pots of soup, a pot of chili, a roast and a batch of cookies, I will generally log 3 hours. That's the amount of time that I'm running back and forth, searing meats, chopping vegetables and doing all the prep work. After that, all I have to do is swap cookie sheets, stir pots and clean up after myself. I'm generally pooped by that point so I move slowly by then.
    If it's part of my daily routine, I don't log it. If it's only for a short time, I don't log it. If it's not AND I get my heart rate up for an extended period, I log it.
  • lindialu
    lindialu Posts: 1
    Options

Thank you! I've just joined-well, joined but only started actually doing this 2days ago. This is the first forum question I've read and am very disappointed with peoples behavior. Just be honest and supportive.

It's probably a fair amount of work lifting baskets of wet clothes and hanging them. Log it and if you find you're not loosing, stop logging it. Good Luck.
  • mommy_hood
    mommy_hood Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    This is my opinion and how I do things-

I have my activity level set at sedentary- I do log some cleaning and shopping etc.

I do not log all. I do not log daily washing dishes,cooking, laundry, etc, because they just don't take very long in my opinion.

I only log if it is something that will make me sore the following day like cleaning out a shed or spring cleaning up and down all day. I do log shopping because before my husband did all the shopping because it would tire me out too much... I am now pushing thru that and doing it...

I feel that a person can log anything they want if they feel that is more than their daily activity...however I am not sure eating those calories are a good idea...

I log some things that other might think senseless but I do not eat those calories but I do want to be able to notice when my daily activity has increased to a continous activity... like I said I am marked sedentary and if I am starting walking everyday more than just around my house I want to see that and know that I can do these things now without getting tired or sore... :) That is just my opinion...

I am sure that the OP has some of the same thoughts as me.... now she will know if counting every little thing and then eating those calories will affect her... she might have her activity level and TDEE set too low and can still lose weight by eating those calories that some people call "cheating herself" it is not our place to judge only support... If she is gaining weight I am sure she would ask for help or change something to get back on the right track...
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    No - think of it this way - were you hanging up laundry or cleaning while you were stacking on the weight - if you were it did not stop you from getting fat - so how on earth are those same activities now helping you drop the weight?
    ^^smart post.

QFT
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    No - think of it this way - were you hanging up laundry or cleaning while you were stacking on the weight - if you were it did not stop you from getting fat - so how on earth are those same activities now helping you drop the weight?
    ^^smart post.

QFT
    Perhaps - just perhaps - you were doing those activities before while eating at a calorie surplus, rather than at maintenance or at a deficit.
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't count it. I don't count cleaning as exercise unless I'm scrubbing the floors or tubs or something like that. Just regular cleaning, it's not like it's hard and burning more calories than you would cooking dinner.
  • maegmez
    maegmez Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    It is if you put the washing basket as far from the washing line as possible & hang one item up at a time per trip. Takes me about an hour to hang the washing. I then take it down the same way. With my fitbit I can get about 5-6 thousand steps just doing it each time..... enough that I do work up a sweat cause I'm going so fast. I just had to hang my stuff up inside cause it's raining.... washing at one end of the house...clotheshorse at the other...ONE item at a time. Took me 4000 steps to do half, I'm talking ONE sock, ONE underwear, ONE tshirt, ONE pair of pants..... per trip. So grab ONE...walk to line....hang...walk back empty handed....grab one...walk to line..... you get it now?

I hang laundry outside but I might try this and add sprinting in. I wouldn't log it as exercise for me but hey, anything to get you moving!