Any other swimmers out there?

2»

Replies

• Nyksta
    Nyksta Posts: 241 Member
    I've only recently added the butterfly. When I was still in grade school or middle school, and taking lessons at the local Y, I got through all the patches except the last because I never could seem to get the coordination for the butterfly. I could get the arms, or I could get the legs. Putting the two together at that time just flat escaped me. And, as I'm trying to get work-study at the school gym, I'd like to be able to certify for life guard (better hours, to say the least!) I figured I probably ought to really work on that last stroke, because way back when, it was one of the requirements for the certification. Kind of hoping not, but the challenge has been interesting.

Before I could even struggle down the lane flopping along, I was using side stroke to fill that slot.

That's interesting about butterfly being a requirement to be a life guard. I was a qualified pool lifeguard for about 7 years and it wasn't a requirement for me (in the UK). We had to be able to swim a length and a half in a certain amount of time and get somethign from the deepest end of the pool if I remember correctly... anyways I still can't swim (or wouldn't even attempt) butterfly lol so good on you for going for it!

p.s. just so you all know, this post has pushed me to head for the pool this evening whilst my daughter has a playdate... usually I'd head to the pub or get some studying done :)
  • mikeatmichael
    mikeatmichael Posts: 92 Member

p.s. just so you all know, this post has pushed me to head for the pool this evening whilst my daughter has a playdate... usually I'd head to the pub or get some studying done :)

Let us know how it goes.
  • kcaffee1
    kcaffee1 Posts: 759 Member
    I've only recently added the butterfly. When I was still in grade school or middle school, and taking lessons at the local Y, I got through all the patches except the last because I never could seem to get the coordination for the butterfly. I could get the arms, or I could get the legs. Putting the two together at that time just flat escaped me. And, as I'm trying to get work-study at the school gym, I'd like to be able to certify for life guard (better hours, to say the least!) I figured I probably ought to really work on that last stroke, because way back when, it was one of the requirements for the certification. Kind of hoping not, but the challenge has been interesting.

Before I could even struggle down the lane flopping along, I was using side stroke to fill that slot.

That's interesting about butterfly being a requirement to be a life guard. I was a qualified pool lifeguard for about 7 years and it wasn't a requirement for me (in the UK). We had to be able to swim a length and a half in a certain amount of time and get somethign from the deepest end of the pool if I remember correctly... anyways I still can't swim (or wouldn't even attempt) butterfly lol so good on you for going for it!

Not sure if it is where I am now, but when I first looked at the certification, we lived on the coast. And, I'll admit, butterfly is a bit more effective at clearing the waves than just about any other stroke. If all it is is swimming a certain distance in time, I can do THAT. I'm planning on looking into the process as soon as finals are over (3 more weeks), then evaluating from there.

Thanks for the big boost of hope! I'm moving up and down the lane with butterfly, and I mostly have it, but if it's a requirement here, not sure what I do... yet... would qualify as mastering it!
  • swimcoach07
    swimcoach07 Posts: 31 Member
    Swimmer here! I don't swim as much as I'd like. I, too, don't like the cold weather and cold water together.
    But someday, I'd love to join our local Masters Swimming chapter. I miss the competition and think having a goal (meet) to train for would motivate me.
  • mikeatmichael
    Swimmer here! I don't swim as much as I'd like. I, too, don't like the cold weather and cold water together.
    But someday, I'd love to join our local Masters Swimming chapter. I miss the competition and think having a goal (meet) to train for would motivate me.

I hate the cold water, especially in the winter. One of our Y's has a pool that has a kid's play area attached and that is used for senior aquasize classes that is kept a little warmer. It has four lap lanes and thats where I swim. The serious masters swimmers won't use it unless the other lap pool is closed, but I love it.

Check around your area. Now that they're using pools for seniors excercise classes some are kept warmer.
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Yepper! FYI I am 62 years old. I have always loved swimming but my livelihood and family plus living in no where land my options were limited. We now have a Y which is still 20 miles away. All that to say I swim a 1600M 3 times a week and do aqua zumba on Sat. mornings. I do 34 minutes of breast stroke and 26 freestyle. My routine is 75M breast and 50M free and try to do the last 25 free as fast as my short body will go. I end with a cool down of breast to round out the mile. It is positively the only endurance exercise I will do. Never liked running and have bad knees anyway. Wish we had competitions around where I live. The mention of swimming from the island to the mainland sounds awesome. Good luck and happy swimming to all of you.
  • mikeatmichael
    I'm a former boy scout and red cross life guard instructor and I know the butterfly isn't required here, in Illinois. I haven't tried it since I was a kid.

I remember going to one of my son's middle school swim meets and watching a girl in the butterfly race. She got about a lap and a half before she stopped all forward movement and just stayed in one place, stroking as hard as she could but making no forward progress. I felt soooo sorry for her.
  • Nyksta

Let us know how it goes.

I had a good work out thank you! did 1.3K (40 lengths in 33m pool). Found it a little tough at points - I'm in Day 4 of the 30 day shred so some muscles a bit achy! lol

thanks for asking :)
  • Nyksta

Not sure if it is where I am now, but when I first looked at the certification, we lived on the coast. And, I'll admit, butterfly is a bit more effective at clearing the waves than just about any other stroke. If all it is is swimming a certain distance in time, I can do THAT. I'm planning on looking into the process as soon as finals are over (3 more weeks), then evaluating from there.

Thanks for the big boost of hope! I'm moving up and down the lane with butterfly, and I mostly have it, but if it's a requirement here, not sure what I do... yet... would qualify as mastering it!

Ahhh I dunno what the requirements are for beach/fresh water lifeguard - I can see where the butterfly would come in use there :) If I was in the pool all by myself I think I'd give it a go!
  • kcaffee1
    Nah, this would be for the local school gym pool.

And, while I'm thinking about it, anyone here know the butterfly well enough to describe the timing on the kick to upper body? I looked into the swimmer's group, and all I got was a reference to another site. And, frankly, if I start that search, then homework won't get done.
  • bojkoj19
    bojkoj19 Posts: 37 Member
    Hey there :)

What really helped me with the butterfly is to start off slow and get used to the kick first then work on the arm stroke and finally bringing it together. I always have this image in my head that I'm swimming under and then over a barrel in the water. Take your time learning it correctly and it should help. I am going to give you a website link as well that shows video of the correct form.

http://www.swimming.org/swimfit/beginning-butterfly-for-competitive/
  • Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    I have a hip injury and have been swimming for one year-instead of biking or running- I used to swim just because I enjoyed it in high school. Then in college I played water polo. I still can't do the butterfly. But it is probably the best stroke for my hips so I'm going to try again ...
  • kcaffee1
    Thank you to all who have been/ are lifeguard certified! Just found out yesterday that the butterfly is NOT required here for lifeguard! (whew!) But, now the personal challenge is ON. I am still working on it because it is such a fun stroke, not to mention a total body workout for me. But, it also means I can actually get the certification this summer once classes are out. Really excited because I've applied for work-study at the school gym. Being certified means that I'll have some other options for where I can work. (and I might actually be able to coax the gym into extending the pool hours.... right now they are kind of restricted and at odd times - ugh!)
  • jnativ
    jnativ Posts: 27 Member
    My mom enrolled me and my brothers to a learn-to-swim program when we were 4, she thought we all needed to learn how to swim as a precaution if we ever ride on a sinking ship. (LOL, I love my mom) After the sessions our coach told us and our parents that there was potential in us and asked us to join the regional team where we trained for many years. I competed for national tournaments and was even shortlisted in our national team to compete for the SEA Games (South East Asian Games)

I got burned out midway high school and stopped abruptly. That's when I started gaining weight :(( I'm returning to my sweetheart H20 and been training to regain my health in our university pool :)

Aim high swimmers!
  • sweetiecake
    sweetiecake Posts: 25 Member
    I AM A BEGINNER SWIMMER AND I LOVE IT. I AM A MESS IN THE WATER BUT I AM LOVING IT. I FEEL LIKE A 100 LBS WHEN I AM IN THE WATER AND IT FEELS GOOD. KUDOS TO SWIMMERS!!!!