Eating back exercise calories... does it work?

Options
I see a lot of people on these forums saying that they don't eat back their exercise calories, or that they only eat half of them/some of them back. I just wondered if there was anyone on here who has eaten all their exercise calories back and still lost weight?

Replies

• quackers82
    quackers82 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I eat back almost all of them. Down 25lbs since January, so it works.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Yes - see ticker.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Yeah I eat all of mine back.

Why wouldn't you?
  • Logical_Integrity
    Options
    I just wondered if there was anyone on here who has eaten all their exercise calories back and still lost weight?

Yes.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Yes, it does work. See my ticker.

It also acts as motivation ("if I exercise and extra 20 mins I can have a glass of wine") and a control ("If I eat that cake that's all the calories I earned from aerobics").

If you are sedentary or lightly active eat them back. All (or most) of them. I sometimes keep some back for the weekend so i can be "on target" for the week even if I have a naughty day or two.:wink:
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I eat all of mine back and I have lost 30lbs since Jan 7. If I didn't eat them back I would be netting like 500 calories and that would not be a good thing.
  • acrowder99
    acrowder99 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Another yes here. I have been eating them back, losing and feeling great.
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I think it depends. I lost weight this way, by eating them back, but it was much slower (for me). A couple months ago I stopped eating them back and dropped 40 more lbs. I was hitting a lot more plateau's by eating them back and when I met with a nutritionist, she said to not eat them back, so I stopped to try it and have found a lot of success in it.
  • rori_74
    rori_74 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    i was wondering the same thing !! so i should eat them back even if i'm not hungry ?!!
  • Amy_Andrews
    Amy_Andrews Posts: 106
    Options
    I eat mine back too. And somedays add an extra 10 minutes so I can have dessert ;)
  • Oriole15
    Oriole15 Posts: 58
    Options
    exercise calories are the tastiest.
  • spirit05
    spirit05 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • musicrocks133
    musicrocks133 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Most days I do and I have lost 16 pounds. I just depends on what foods you are eating your calories back on.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    It works if you don't factor exercise into the calculations when you figure out your daily calorie need/goal. If you do factor in exercise, then you shouldn't be eating them back.

Ultimately what works is a calorie deficit. How you calculate that deficit and the manner in which you achieve it is up to you.
  • boboff
    boboff Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    This sounds wrong I know, but Who cares?

If you don't you will loose weight quicker, this is probably only true if you're Obese and above.

Otherwise you restrict your calories eaten so they are less than the calories you burn, to loose weight right?

Well if that is the case and you want to loose more slowly then eat some or all of them back?????

It's your choice.

As I understand it, if you are slim and wanting to gain muscle then it's a must to eat them back. Clean food is nice, but not an absolute.
  • grandma0561
    grandma0561 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yes I eat mine back and also plan my exercise around the meals that I want to eat. If I want red lobster I'll exercise a little harder and bank those extra calories and eat them up later just like a little ms. pacman (: It's worked for so far and I've lost 33 pounds since Jan 2013!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    This sounds wrong I know, but Who cares?

If you don't you will loose weight quicker, this is probably only true if you're Obese and above.

Otherwise you restrict your calories eaten so they are less than the calories you burn, to loose weight right?

Well if that is the case and you want to loose more slowly then eat some or all of them back?????

It's your choice.

As I understand it, if you are slim and wanting to gain muscle then it's a must to eat them back. Clean food is nice, but not an absolute.

You don't understand it. It's about calorie/energy balance, not current fitness level.
  • runningbs
    runningbs Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Yes it works
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I have always eaten back the majority of my exercise cals. I do have my settings as sedentary.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I think it depends. I lost weight this way, by eating them back, but it was much slower (for me). A couple months ago I stopped eating them back and dropped 40 more lbs. I was hitting a lot more plateau's by eating them back and when I met with a nutritionist, she said to not eat them back, so I stopped to try it and have found a lot of success in it.

But but but...you gonna staaaaaaarv! Lol

I'm sure that's what some of these "eat back all your calories or else" enthusiast's are thinking. Meanwhile you lost 140 pounds! :)
    Good job!