Eating back exercise calories... does it work?

Options

Replies

• purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Yes, I eat them back. The deficit's there already, why wouldn't I?
  • pwnderosa
    pwnderosa Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    LOVE the MFP way of eating my exercise calories back, nothing has ever motivated me to workout as much as I have been on this system. I have my activity set as lightly active - it was sedentary at first but I found I was losing weight faster than what I set my goals to and I was feeling hungry, so I figured I must be more active during the day to day than I thought. It's been working great for me - I'm almost to my goal now! :D
  • JoannaHibbert
    Options
    I eat them back too - and have lost 52lbs so far so as with others it defiinitely works! The only reason it might not seem to be working is if you under estimate weights of foods that you eat and over estimate the calories that you've burned in your exercise.

I have also been known to have been tempted by something at work and not managed to exercise enough to 'earn' it back during my day or plan... so have marched on the spot or done some other form of exercise until I have made up for it!
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I eat them back too - and have lost 52lbs so far so as with others it defiinitely works! The only reason it might not seem to be working is if you under estimate weights of foods that you eat and over estimate the calories that you've burned in your exercise.

I have also been known to have been tempted by something at work and not managed to exercise enough to 'earn' it back during my day or plan... so have marched on the spot or done some other form of exercise until I have made up for it!

I've done that - the boss arranged for the canteen to make yummy cakes and cookies for everyone, so it would have been rude not to indulge:wink::laugh: I just did more workout when I got home
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I always eat mine back.
  • Rarity2013
    Rarity2013 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I've been mulling this question over as I'm quite new to the site. I'm trying not to eat them back at the moment because I am extremely sedentary and although I'm exercising 4-5 days a week, it's very low-impact exercise, so it's not like I need fuel to replace what was lost doing aerobics or jogging.
    I do see them as a bit of flexibility though if I do fancy a treat or a little pick-me-up.
  • NikinCilla
    NikinCilla Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Now Ive read this Im confuse arrgghh..........some days I eat them all back some days I only eat 1/2. I do 30dshred & 30day squat & sometimes walk & have only losted 1kg its been a month but have losted 39.9cm in measurements total. Now Im wondering if thats why the scale hasnt moved because Ive eaten cals back :( confuse??
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I've always eaten them back (either by using the MFP method or the TDEE - 20% method) and it's worked. If you think about it, it SHOULD work!

The only problem with it is that I'm never sure how accurate the calorie burns are. When I was logging exercise I tended to try to underestimate a little. It's probably not necessary to do this as you'll still have a deficit on MFP even if you overestimate exercise calories, by, say, 100.

But apart from that, MFP is designed so that you eat back exercise calories. I think that if you're using the MFP system, it's best to log them, eat them back, and look at weight loss over a few weeks to see if it's coming off at the rate it's supposed to.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Now Ive read this Im confuse arrgghh..........some days I eat them all back some days I only eat 1/2. I do 30dshred & 30day squat & sometimes walk & have only losted 1kg its been a month but have losted 39.9cm in measurements total. Now Im wondering if thats why the scale hasnt moved because Ive eaten cals back :( confuse??

If you're not losing weight then you're not in a calorie deficit. I'd look more closely at how accurately and honestly you're logging rather than because you are eating back exercise cals.

Again, it's not the method that's broken, it's your execution of the method.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses :smile: Makes me feel a bit better about eating most of them back. I just see a lot of people who are using TDEE/not eating exercise calories and wondered if there was anyone using MFP the way it was designed to be used! (Not that other ways aren't valid - it's whatever works for you I guess.)

Yes, there are lots of people using the MFP method. TDEE is simpler for some and kind of a buzz topic right now on the forums.
  • jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    it works. Ive lost 30 pounds :)
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    It does work. I have had slow but sure success with eating exercise cals back. Like some others here, if I have an event on at the weekend I will eat less back to store some up. As long as it averages out over the week I do lost weight.
  • enigmaneo
    enigmaneo Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I eat most of them but not all of them. I worry about over reporting my calorie burns for exercise.
  • HotrodsGirl0107
    HotrodsGirl0107 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Yes it does work for a lot people. It worked for me. I lost my weight using MFP settings. I started at 1500 which was to lose 1 pound a week but at first the weight was a lot quicker. I ate all my exercises and even upped my calories as I got closer to my weight goal while continuing eating exercise calories. I am now maintaining at 2500 (up from 2200). My maintenance calories are based on my TDEE number which already includes exercise so I just eat my TDEE number and be done with it.
  • StArBeLLa87
    StArBeLLa87 Posts: 1,582 Member
    Options
    I'm scared to eat them back ugh
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    TDEE method works for. There is no way on this earth I can eat 1670 calories..what MFP recommends (then 500 calorie burn during my workout) so 2170. So I keep it at my TDEE-20 % and eat at 2258. I feel human. I also realized when I first started I used the MFP method I lost muscle mass----because I was lifting heavy and not eating enough Protein...that's just me though....
  • garbanzalo
    garbanzalo Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Let the scale decide. If you continue to lose weight while eating back calories. feel free to do so. If you gain weight or stop losign weight after 2-3 weeks, cut back.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I eat them all back. *eyes ticker* Seems to be working.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    TDEE method works for. There is no way on this earth I can eat 1670 calories..what MFP recommends (then 500 calorie burn during my workout) so 2170. So I keep it at my TDEE-20 % and eat at 2258. I feel human. I also realized when I first started I used the MFP method I lost muscle mass----because I was lifting heavy and not eating enough Protein...that's just me though....

So that 100 calorie difference is the breaking point for you, huh?

*rolls eyes*
  • wibbley74
    wibbley74 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    i eat some of them back but not all

i use it as a buffer on days when i am at friends and know there will be cake involved

i eat more calories on a daily basis than MFP has me on and adjust it as there is a big difference between that and my TDEE

i do exercise a lot and have become a bit of a pool junkie being in there for at least 6 hours a week pool running with weights. i am not sure about the accuracy of the the exercise database on here and would rather be under than risk being over

rightly or wrongly for me it works and i feel fantastic