Options
13»

Replies

• selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Cardio - yes

Proper lifting - no

I do 'proper lifting' fasted. No issues at all.

If you think about it, there really isn't any issue except you probably don't have as much strength as you would after some nutrition.

If a little loss of muscle isn't of a concern then I agree - theres no harm in doing it at all.

I personally have a preworkout shake before I lift in the mornings.

This is why Pre and post workout nutrition is emphasised and stressed upon so much in the fitness world. The only ppl that think pre workout (lifting) nutrition is of little value seem to be posters on this board.
  • rachjenn
    rachjenn Posts: 87
    Options
    Hiya :-)

I exercise on an empty stomach most mornings. It helps you burn off the food you ate the day before, rather than the food you've eaten that day. As you need energy, your body uses fat instead of the food (as there's nothing in your stomach) which helps to loose the inches.

I too get up early before work, as I find it hard after work, and it also gives me a boost throughout the day.

Make sure whatever you eat for a few hours after exercising is nothing but healthy...eggs, protein, fish. Nothing naughty!

If you're finding it tough exercising on an empty stomach, do as I do & have a big supper (2x weetabix). I also drink orange juice in the morning if I'm flagging prior to a run.

Hope this helps x
  • maieranne77
    maieranne77 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I also workout early, 5am. My trainer suggests that I have 1/2 cup or 1/2 serving of protein drink and a few crackers before I workout. Then I eat a larger breakfast at 8 or 8:30.
  • Rarity2013
    Rarity2013 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I do yoga as my main exercise and it's a requirement for proper practice that you do it on an empty stomach. Any form of exercise on a full stomach gives me cramps.
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I think it is really different for each person. I don't work out on an empty stomach because I actually get light-headed and dizzy. If you feel okay working out that way, it may be harmless. However, your best source of advice on this matter is your primary care physician.
  • lovemitch125
    lovemitch125 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those people who at least needs a granola bar and then I'll eat a real breakfast after the workout, unless (like today) I wake up super early (530-6am) to do other things and workout after (around 930-10-ish), then I'll eat breakfast around 7 and workout later.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Cardio - yes

Proper lifting - no

If you think about it, there really isn't any issue except you probably don't have as much strength as you would after some nutrition.

If a little loss of muscle isn't of a concern then I agree - theres no harm in doing it at all.

This is why Pre and post workout nutrition is emphasised and stressed upon so much in the fitness world. The only ppl that think pre workout (lifting) nutrition is of little value seem to be posters on this board.

Not correct at all. I have trained both fasted and non fasted. I usually train fasted - I lost no muscle during my cut and no loss of strength, assuming I ate enough the day before. There is no empirical evidence that indicates I would have had better results whether I training fasted v non fasted assuming my daily intake was equal so, um, no go with the 'if you are not worried about a little loss of muscle' dig.

It takes hours for your food to digest and absorb food - what someone ate the night before is still in their system. There is absolutely no evidence that training fasted decreases strength or to muscle loss.

Pre and post workout is emphasized so much due to the supplement companies. If you eat within a reasonable time after training, then you are good. If you would like to point me to actual articles/studies that show that training fasted leads to muscle loss i would be very interested.
  • iamnotjustanumber
    Options
    I'm Diabetic, on insulin (low dose).... I train every morning on an empty stomach, I check my blood before and after and have NEVER had an issue or dizzy spells or nausia... BUT i eat shortly after...

((Everyone is different... BUT i beleive that lots of people are taking far more sugars in the form of energy bars and drinks than they would EVER be able to burn....... for example, youv'e got to REALLY go some to burn off a whole bottle of 380ml lucozade!))..
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    You don't HAVE to eat before you workout. If you feel fine in the morning, then don't worry about it. If you feel like you're gonna pass out and fall off the elliptical, then you might want to eat something small beforehand. Get something carby to give you energy. I usually have an apple like 5 minutes before I start my workout.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    If I don't eat 45 mins to 1 hr before I workout I'm usually running out the door looking for something to eat 3/4 through my workout. That's just me though...
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Its what works for you. I HAVE to have my cup of tea first, but then I do my workout (20 mins cardio/toning), then get ready for work and have brekkie. I walk before lunch, and I work out when I get home BEFORE dinner. BUT if I'm going to Zumba I make sure I eat, but I need to finish eating about 2 hours beforehand. It depends how energetic you are being. If your sugar is low a quick orange juice will get you going quickly, but its not as good a banana. (But that would make me feel sick).
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    i can't eat before i hit the gym in the morning. it feels like i've got bubble guts when i do. i usually have aminos and a pre-workout, just for that little giddy-up, so i can start within 15minutes of waking
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Cardio - yes

Proper lifting - no

Not correct at all. I have trained both fasted and non fasted. I usually train fasted - I lost no muscle during my cut and no loss of strength, assuming I ate enough the day before. There is no empirical evidence that indicates I would have had better results whether I training fasted v non fasted assuming my daily intake was equal so, um, no go with the 'if you are not worried about a little loss of muscle' dig.

It takes hours for your food to digest and absorb food - what someone ate the night before is still in their system. There is absolutely no evidence that training fasted decreases strength or to muscle loss.

Pre and post workout is emphasized so much due to the supplement companies. If you eat within a reasonable time after training, then you are good. If you would like to point me to actual articles/studies that show that training fasted leads to muscle loss i would be very interested.

I was going to say this, but then saw that you did.
  • iamnotjustanumber
    Options
    Cardio - yes

Proper lifting - no

I was going to say this, but then saw that you did.

I Think the Suppliment industry has a lot to answer for, which is what i was eluding to with my comments about the amount of sugars people think they need.. one Bar i was looking at the other day suggested 3 bars required for each hour of workout.. but the Carb content in those bars would keep someone going all day!!!! ;-(
  • RickiD530
    RickiD530 Posts: 15
    Options
    I have to be at work at 6 a.m. so I start my workouts at 3 a.m. I never eat before them. I get sick if I have any food in me. This mornings Tapout workout was called Hurl. I think if I had any food in my stomach I would have :) You are doing great. Whatever works best for you is what you should do.