"Weird" foods.

Options

Replies

• questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite snacks is a small bowl of cottage cheese with some chopped up prunes on top. My boyfriend teases me and makes some joke about how I eat like his grandpa, but I think it is delicious.

Also, I got so addicted to roasted or sauteed brussels sprouts this past winter that I ate them at least twice a week.

And.... I like sardines.
  • porkchopz
    porkchopz Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    smoked oysters!!! straight out of the can or with crackers and cheese.
  • porkchopz
    porkchopz Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    :heart: tuna & mayo on my pancakes. topped with maple syrup.
    delicious.
    is this only MY family? anybody else out there with us?
    my kids and dh just can't understand.
    If it were up to me, you would definitely win the award for the weirdest food!
    :laugh: I'm still searching for someone that can relate! The calories are atrocious, so I wouldn't recommend the addiction.

I am always curious about weird food combinations - tell us more! maple and tuna???
  • slightingscale
    slightingscale Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    :heart: tuna & mayo on my pancakes. topped with maple syrup.
    delicious.
    is this only MY family? anybody else out there with us?
    my kids and dh just can't understand.
    If it were up to me, you would definitely win the award for the weirdest food!
    :laugh: I'm still searching for someone that can relate! The calories are atrocious, so I wouldn't recommend the addiction.

I am always curious about weird food combinations - tell us more! maple and tuna???
    I dunno. It's salty and sweet. :ohwell: Just grew up with it, and so I think it's great.
    My mom served smoked oysters at my 10th birthday party.
    She thought she was being fancy, but they ended up as ammunition.:laugh:
    Probably best served to adults.
  • hawaiibound
    hawaiibound Posts: 158
    Options
    I grew up eating mayo on saltine crackers.... haven't done it in a long time, but that was a wierd food of mine. LOL Now my coworkers think my wierd food is cottage cheese... but I love it. Just plain or with fruit or just pepper in it. Yum!

my mom used to make that for me as a child...its one of those foods that takes me way back to sitting up late at night enjoying time with my mom thanks for the reminder.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I'm well known as the weirdo within my circle of friends:

Herring / sardines straight out of the can
    Pickled beets as a "snack" - or eating bowls of borscht at my desk (people usually can't stand the smell)
    Marmalade and bacon omelettes
    Fermented (i.e. smelly) foods like kimchee and sauerkraut
    pickled eggplant with a baba ghanouj topping
    pork belly (seriously, this is a wonderful, wonderful meat)
    organ meats (liver, heart, tongue - haven't made them in ages, but they're great)
    raw cabbage hearts
    raw milk
    scungilli salad
    big green olives stuffed with cloves of garlic
    Mo's "Bacon" chocolate bars or "red chili" chocolate bars
    cinnamon and clove in chili or spaghetti sauce
    ...any big "game" meat you can name, I've made an effort to try it or cook it. Hunting it, well...not yet.

But the one weird meat I hate - scrapple. I happen to live with someone who LOVES it. Blech.
  • asltiffm
    asltiffm Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I love grilled peanut butter and jelly too! I grew up on it. YUM! But I don't consider it weird...

My DH and I like to mix up a bag of tobasco Cheez-its and a big bag of peanut butter M&M's. Salty, sweet, spicy, cruncy...YUM!!! I've tried to get other people to try it but they refuse. Fine, I say, more for me!
  • SimonLondon
    SimonLondon Posts: 350
    Options
    I was a chef for a few years so mine are weird :)

Mint Sauce sandwiches or just neat...love it :)

Grill Sea Bass coated in Jack Daniels BBQ Sauce and Nando's hot sauce (yup together!)

2 Egg omlette mixed with milk and BBQ sauce; yum yum

Brown Sauce all over a roast dinner (I'm not allowed at home dinners but it's lovely :laugh: )
  • rcatr
    rcatr Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    kimchee. grew up eating it and i can eat just a jar of it for dinner. i don't need rice. rice would make it great but it's not necessary. thank god it's low in calories :laugh: and it can stink up a room to high heaven if left out too long.
  • Zaggytiddies
    Zaggytiddies Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I love Liverwurst! Not with onions and mustard, just bread or by itself. My grandmother used to give it to me. Plus I remember watching A Very Merry Cricket....
  • mrsnych
    mrsnych Posts: 7
    Options
    pancakes with lemon juice and sugar. to die for!!!amazing...and i like mustard and peanut butter on EVERYTHING! you name it!
  • fiendiish
    fiendiish Posts: 186
    Options
    I eat cottage cheese with a variety of:
    honey
    peanut butter
    salsa
    weight watcher choc mousse
    jam
    ovaltine
    jelly
    etc.

Nothing gets weirder looks than this :)

Dude. All at the same time?!?!? LOL! =/

Please say no.
  • fiendiish
    fiendiish Posts: 186
    Options
    l)

The omelet sounds outstanding!

I've had the Bacon Chocolate...sounds nasty but YUMMO!
  • jrrtubbs
    jrrtubbs Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Not the most healthy, but one that jumps to mind because of my recent travels to Arkansas is my habit with pulled pork sandwhiches. I don't put any BBQ sauce on them. Only shredded cheddar cheese and 6 or 7 potato chips. Then I give the sandwhich a good smush.

I have a lot of others too:

Oreos and/or Apples dipped in Nacho Cheese
    Pancakes with Chili (did it when drunk, turned out to be tasty)
    I put Cheetos in my Spaghetios (that or Ritz Crackers)

I'm sure there's more but I can't think of them now.
  • abredbenner
    abredbenner Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'm well known as the weirdo within my circle of friends:

Herring / sardines straight out of the can
    Pickled beets as a "snack" - or eating bowls of borscht at my desk (people usually can't stand the smell)
    Fermented (i.e. smelly) foods like kimchee and sauerkraut
    pickled eggplant with a baba ghanouj topping
    pork belly (seriously, this is a wonderful, wonderful meat)
    organ meats (liver, heart, tongue - haven't made them in ages, but they're great)
    raw cabbage hearts
    raw milk
    scungilli salad
    cinnamon and clove in chili or spaghetti sauce
    ...any big "game" meat you can name, I've made an effort to try it or cook it. Hunting it, well...not yet.

But the one weird meat I hate - scrapple. I happen to live with someone who LOVES it. Blech.

The big green olives stuffed with garlic are fantastic sliced on top of pizza!
  • allykat8
    allykat8 Posts: 237
    Options
    I ALWAYS get a wierd look when I tell people I mix peanut butter in with my oatmeal.
  • mommyhof3
    mommyhof3 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I love Liverwurst! Not with onions and mustard, just bread or by itself. My grandmother used to give it to me. Plus I remember watching A Very Merry Cricket....

I love liverwurst on toast :smile:

Long ago, I would make Mac and cheese with Tuna and onions. Then I would top with grated cheddar cheese and crushed dill pickle chips and bake it in the oven. Love this one but way to high in calories for me now
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I can't beat tuna salad pancakes, but my friends give me the stinkface when I order my eggs over easy or sunny side up.

I just got back from a trip to Belgium and I had a piece of chocolate with ham in it...I thought it would be yummy like the bacon chocolate but it tasted kind of like banana..weird!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Definitely onions! My boyfriend always tells me I have "onion breath" and I'm like, "Well honey, they're good for me and I LOVE 'em!!" ha I just bought a big ol' red onion to put on my sandwiches everyday for lunch. So yummy. Also, avocado. I put it on my sandwiches & a guy at work always gives me the "stink face" but he doesn't like anything, haha.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Definitely onions! My boyfriend always tells me I have "onion breath" and I'm like, "Well honey, they're good for me and I LOVE 'em!!" ha I just bought a big ol' red onion to put on my sandwiches everyday for lunch. So yummy. Also, avocado. I put it on my sandwiches & a guy at work always gives me the "stink face" but he doesn't like anything, haha.

Haha... my fiance eats raw onions and garlic like candy - they're great and I love them too, but if he eats too much I swear the aroma is coming out not only his breath but also out of his pores!