Never be full, never be hungry...what do you think?

Options
13»

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    eating more often can rev your metabolism up.

This is a myth.

agree myth..

You can eat one huge meal a day or 24 meals every hour and it does not have any impact.

Some people have done IF/lean gains and had success, myself included...others eat six meals a day ...whatever works for you, do it...

I am not doing about four meals a day ...but that is not for metabolic reasons...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    My lecturer at uni (im nursing) said that keeping steady levels of glucose is much better for your body and energy levels than peaks. So i would have to agree with the eating every 3 hours idea. im actually doing something similar; eating at 6, 10, 2, 6, ( so every 4 hrs) and i never seem to be too hungry xx

get a new lecturer...or drop the class and take a different one..
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Pretty much this. Meal frequency does not matter when it comes to weight loss. Also, it's difficult to compare a normal/average person to a body builder. Body builders have to eat 2-3 times the amount of calories.
    btw, why are we trying to over complicate things with talking about insulin spike? Keep it simple.. you can either eat 2 meals or 10 meals, but have been proven to work in terms of weight loss (interim fasting vs conventional weight loss). And realistically, unless you are diabetic or have a medical condition, insulin will not affect weight loss.

If I eat a Carls' Jr. Charbroiled Atlantic Cod Fish sandwich like I mean it and do so floating weightlessly while traveling in outer space, would that affect my weight loss? What if there's a full size poster of noted swimsuit wearer Nina Agdal on a wall in the spaceship's padded cell, lol?

no, but if you eat while doing a hand stand you will burn an extra 20 calories and avoid starvation mode...
  • Valerie_Malone
    Valerie_Malone Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    This topic came at a perfect time. Yesterday my doctor told me yesterday to start eating small snacks every 2 - 3 hours to control my hunger, while counting the calories. So hopefully I'll see some results.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    This topic came at a perfect time. Yesterday my doctor told me yesterday to start eating small snacks every 2 - 3 hours to control my hunger, while counting the calories. So hopefully I'll see some results.
    get a new dr....
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I heard that from a bodybuilder. He said to eat every 3 hours a healthy snack and small meals. He said and going to drop all the undesired weight, my blood sugar stabilize and I wont crave sugary treats.

what do you think?:huh:

Meal timing is irrelevant to weight loss. If it helps you with hunger issues then eat in that pattern.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    That's pretty much what I do but it's personal preference. I don't like feeling particularly full and make really poor decisions when I get hungry. I also have the symptoms of hypoglycemia so eating frequently helps me avoid that.

This also helps me with the psychological aspect of it because I feel like eating even if I'm not particularly hungry so by planning to eat frequently but making the portions small, I'm less likely to go over calories. I actually eat more frequently than 3hrs for most of the day until about 4pm when I wait until dinner (around 7pm) and then it varies whether I eat the rest of my calories at once or eat a couple times before bed.
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Trying to eat small meals every few hours leaves me ravenous all the time. I'm much better off eating larger meals at longer intervals.

same here ^^^^^^^

I"ve tried the frequent small healthy snacks thing, it did not work at all.
  • SGSmallman
    SGSmallman Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    For me personally following Lean Gains and Intermittent Fasting as it fits into my daily routine.

I eat all my calories (currently 2400) in a 6-8 hour window than fast for 16 hours.

I have no cravings, i dont binge, and my energy levels are always maintained for work hours/ gym routines.

My current routine is
    Spinning 4 X a week,
    Lifting 3 X a week,
    Circuit Training 2 X a week
    Burning about 7000 calories a week
  • SGSmallman
    SGSmallman Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Trying to eat small meals every few hours leaves me ravenous all the time. I'm much better off eating larger meals at longer intervals.

same here ^^^^^^^

I"ve tried the frequent small healthy snacks thing, it did not work at all.

Ditto tried it, didn't like it always found my self unaware eating or binging
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    You'll find info suggesting all sorts of different meal plans are "the best" but it is all very individual. you'll find info stating each is bad, too. lol... For those with blood sugar issues you hear eating every 3 hours will keep one's blood sugar stable but you'll read other info stating that eating this way keeps BS stable but at a constantly high level and that it is best to keep 4-5 hrs between meals to allow BS to go back to a normal.

I have never liked feeling "full" as, to me, that is an over-stuffed feeling. I eat until satisfied. Not sure how to explain that. I know when to stop eating so I am usually the only one in a group not complaining about being so full when eating out.

I eat three meals per day, rarely snack, and I am fine with getting hungry. I'm not fine with going many, many hours without eating & feeling like I'm starving. That very often leads to off-plan eating and over-eating.
  • lotushead
    lotushead Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I eat every 3 hours however, "never be hungry, never be full" absolutely does not apply to me. I am always hungry and rarely ever reach that uncomfortably full point. I do get full but sometimes not as full as I'd like. It takes getting used to.
  • flitabout
    flitabout Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    For me eating often is a recipe for disaster! A meal that doesn't fill me up sends me in to an eating frenzy so if I eat breakfast I am setting myself up for a day full of food and I can't control myself. I literally lose my mind food is all I can think about. I have an egg white omelete with light cheese spinach veggies and salsa about an hour later I want something else. maybe som carrots with greek yogurt dip. I am ready to gnaw my arm of by lunch a grilled chicken breast on a mixed green salad with loads of veggies and a olive oil vinagrette then it's snack time again hmm maybe an apple??? I am looking at it being a matter of time before that apple for a snack turns into an apple with peanut butter. Which sorta left me lacking and now I want something with more bulk so I get some veggie soup hmmm some crackers with that sounds good hmm maybe a banana around 4 when I get one for the kids after school Now it's time to start dinner and I will nibble my way through that have some dinner and well the kids are having a cookie and some milk after dinner so that looks good so I get 3 cookies and some unsweetened almond milk. After the kids go to bed those cookies start looking good and well you get the drift.
    So for me is it better to keep my blood sugar levels stable or to go with intermittant fasting. Well for me it is IF otherwise I have no control and all I think about is food. Will this work for everybody no. But then again we are all different.