What are your favorite baseball/sport movies and why...

harvo
harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
A baseball thread got me thinking about the Major League movies and it brings fond memories of coaching a team that won several games with the kids making out the lineup and batting order. Not only that but we did it without have 9 kids usually. We had positions like 3rd-stop and second field. They also came up with the battle cry Idiots. Most fun I ever had coaching and have kids that still keep in touch....

Replies

• PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    There's no crying in baseball!
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    so they're gonna walk beck to get to parkman, taylor must be thinking...
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    in no order

The Natural
    Rocky 1-4
    Friday Night Lights
    North Dallas Forty
    Invincible
    The Wrestler
    Any GIven Sunday

just off the top of my head.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member

Bad News Bears?
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member

Bad News Bears?

A League of Their Own!!!
  • The Sandlot is by far the best. A distant second is Field of Dreams. He just wanted to play catch with his dad...
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    The Sandlot is by far the best. A distant second is Field of Dreams. He just wanted to play catch with his dad...

Great call on those two.
  • Tennolina
    Tennolina Posts: 2,413
    Don't forget bull Durham!
  • Scott2ndGradeTeacher
    Scott2ndGradeTeacher Posts: 147 Member
    The list begins and ends with "Hoosiers".
  • harvo
    Don't forget bull Durham!

This is after the Major League movies for me!

Joe Reardon: He walked 18.

Larry: New league record!

Joe Reardon: Struck out 18.

Larry: Another new league record! In addition he hit the sportswriter, the public address announcer, the bull mascot twice...

[Joe laughs]

Larry: Also new league records! But, Joe, this guy's got some serious ****.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member

Bad News Bears?

A League of Their Own!!!

Doh!
  • harvo
    The list begins and ends with "Hoosiers".

As an Indiana boy that one ranks in the top 10. I like Jerry McGuire as well...
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    "I believe in the Church of Baseball. I've tried all the major religions, and most of the minor ones. I've worshipped Buddha, Allah, Brahma, Vishnu, Siva, trees, mushrooms, and Isadora Duncan. I know things. For instance, there are 108 beads in a Catholic rosary and there are 108 stitches in a baseball. When I heard that, I gave Jesus a chance. But it just didn't work out between us. The Lord laid too much guilt on me. I prefer metaphysics to theology. You see, there's no guilt in baseball, and it's never boring... which makes it like sex."
  • rderrickwhite
    rderrickwhite Posts: 69 Member
    In no order...

Eight Men Out
    The Hurricane
    Bang The Drum Slowly
    Friday Night Lights
    We Were Kings
    The Natural
    Warrior
    Hoosiers
    Ali
    Remember The Titans
  • harvo
    "I believe in the Church of Baseball. I've tried all the major religions, and most of the minor ones. I've worshipped Buddha, Allah, Brahma, Vishnu, Siva, trees, mushrooms, and Isadora Duncan. I know things. For instance, there are 108 beads in a Catholic rosary and there are 108 stitches in a baseball. When I heard that, I gave Jesus a chance. But it just didn't work out between us. The Lord laid too much guilt on me. I prefer metaphysics to theology. You see, there's no guilt in baseball, and it's never boring... which makes it like sex."

Crash Davis: Man that ball got outta here in a hurry. I mean anything travels that far oughta have a damn stewardess on it, don't you think?
  • charlesnapolitano
    charlesnapolitano Posts: 302 Member
    Facing The Giants another great football movie
  • charlesnapolitano
    charlesnapolitano Posts: 302 Member
    Homerun too
  • tzig00
    tzig00 Posts: 875 Member
    Field of Dreams - just a classic, followed closely by A League of Their Own.
  • pholbert
    pholbert Posts: 575 Member
    The Sandlot is by far the best. A distant second is Field of Dreams. He just wanted to play catch with his dad...
    I agree with this^
  • Mystery, Alaska - awesome hockey flick
    Greatest Game Ever Played - golf is generally a snooze fest, but I loved loved loved this movie