What do you wear when you run? for the bigger girls

Options

Replies

• meghan6867
    meghan6867 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    When I started running I was in the same boat: two bras. Typically I wore one underwire and one heavy-duty sports to help eliminate the jiggle. People will likely advise you to invest in some really good sports bras and I entirely agree. There is nothing more uncomfortable then not having enough support when you're running.

I also recommend running tights or pants (think Spandex)... NOT sweat pants. They tend to absorb sweat better and prevent chaffing in some very sensitive areas.

Any t-shirt will do, but they do make some pretty fun and cute running tops out there. Champion has a great line of t-shirts that are affordable, comfy, and sweat-absorbant. :smile:
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Please explain this lower half "flapping". That doesn't sound right at all.

That would mean that she has hanging skin or possibly a panniculous (sp?).

Oh. Thank you. Now I understand. I agree with compression capris, or something. They have then at Old Navy and they aren't expensive.
  • Lumen1505
    Lumen1505 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Urgh I thought it was just me - I have a good sports bra so have that covered but feeling in need of a bum bra at the moment - just bought some tighter bottoms but will now look into compression capri's - thank goodness for MFP ! ;-)
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I call what moves below the navel my bellulite.
  • angelcurry130
    angelcurry130 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    i still flop from time to time (loose skin and flabby areas). usually, if i'm going to jog or run, i'll wear yoga/spandex pants under my gym shorts or sweats. holds my tummy in place without the embarassing slapping noise.

(bike shorts work well too)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    This thread cracks me up and I love it. Also, aren't compression items kind of hot? I imagine things would be getting pretty sweaty.

it's hot if you're still wearing stuff from the 80's and 90s. these days athletic wear comes with moisture wicking properties
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Found a really nice article that covers more than clothing, thought I'd share: http://arlington-va.patch.com/articles/a-fat-runners-guide-to-being-a-fat-runner
  • stacey2525
    stacey2525 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    these are so amazing thank you to all who relate to me. I wish i could hug many of you for making me feel better about this
  • paulajed
    paulajed Posts: 21
    Options
    I wear ORCA brand compression tights and Danskins yoga pants or just plain old dollar general jogging pants. If I do not feel like squeezing into my Orcas- I wear a tights (again from walmart) and baggy sweats/gym pants. It does help in the post- pain area to "control" the quake/jiggle.
  • eamartin
    eamartin Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    my lower half does alot of things

LOL!! I typically wear spanx also & a tight yoga tank top under my shirts
  • jeepy7
    jeepy7 Posts: 1
    Options
    I wear a Lane Bryant Balconette bra- It is a great bra with a ton of support (not a jiggle or shake) and gives a nice shape not a uni-boob.
    I found some cheap yoga pants that are great for running and working out- Danskin from Walmart
    For tops I wear a fitted tank again Danskin at Walmart with a T shirt over it. i am not ready to go sleeveless yet.
  • roughneckswife
    roughneckswife Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Girl! Everything jiggles when I run, I just pretend my thighs are clapping for me!
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Hey, boys can have this problem too, but we just wear compression shirts.
  • allisonlane61
    allisonlane61 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Girl! Everything jiggles when I run, I just pretend my thighs are clapping for me!

Ok, this wins Post of the Day.
  • stacey2525
    stacey2525 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    well im tired of mine clapping :)
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I actually have some of those holdy inie granny pants, you know with control panel, the kind that almost come up to your armpits! lol.

Those plus some fitted yoga pants hold things still. I found I was much less out of breath once my belly wasn't jiggling around.
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options

LOVE THIS!!!
  • Zumba_Anna
    Zumba_Anna Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love Enell bras. www.enell.com

They are a little pricy but are worth every penny. They last forever and are the only bras that work for me (38DD).

I've noticed on recent seasons of Biggest Loser that the women are wearing these bras as well.
  • AJL437
    AJL437 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    This is SO helpful. Thank you so much for sharing.
  • AJL437
    AJL437 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Some of these responses are clearly from people who have never been morbidly obese and therefore cannot relate. So in the spirit of education, for those of you who don't know, people who are currently or were formerly morbidly obese likely accumulated a large amount of belly fat. As that starts to go away, the midsection skin takes a while to catch up and we may be left with a lot of flab. This becomes a problem when it comes to running because even with compression pants, the excessive bouncing causes things to shift and clothing doesn't stay in place. Not to mention the fact that the bouncing around causes more stretching (think hand-tossed pizza dough) when obviously we want the opposite to happen.

I talked to my doctor about this because even though I still had a lot of weight to lose, I wanted to start running but the midsection flab was an issue for me. He recommended a belly binder, like the kind many people use after abdominal surgeries, and it was the BEST THING EVER. It's basically a huge strip of elastic with velcro on the ends. The one I got was really wide, so once I had it wrapped around me it went from under my bust all the way down over my hips. It kept EVERYTHING in place, plus it helped keep me warm on cold days running outdoors. At first it takes a while to figure out how to get the thing on tightly enough - you may need help - but it's worth it.

After losing more weight, I got to a point where I didn't need it anymore because my skin started to catch up with the fat loss (yes, there is hope!!!). Now I wear an Old Navy compression tank pulled down over my hips and their compression yoga capris pulled up over top so the band comes all the way up under the bust, and whatever top or jacket I want to wear over that. Everything is held in place nicely.

Feel free to PM me if you have more questions!

This is incredibly helpful! Thank you for sharing. It really answers the question. I wear a 46 bra and 4X Capris so Nike isn't really gonna work out. Thanks!