13»

Replies

• neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    if anyone can tell me how to do crossfit

a) in my own home

and

b) without spending money on subscriptions (I don't mind buying some equipment if it's durable and versatile, although I don't have a huge budget so I'd rather no buy anything that's not strictly necessary)

then I'll give it a go

ETA: I think calling it a cult is hyperbole. Maybe people being overly enthusiastic and talking about it all the time and all that is annoying, but it's not really a cult. I mean people aren't brainwashed by an overly charismatic, slightly sociopathic leader, they're not held their against their will (or supposedly staying their of their own accord but too terrified to leave) kind of thing.
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options
    Oh shut it... This is the next ridiculous thread about crossfit culting..

I just started crossfit and saying crossfit is a cult is such nonsense. I eat what I want, wear what I want. It's like any other sport.

By the way, it seriously is an amazing sport. I love it!! Workouts are very challenging, no excuses, great people that go there.

I first read about it on MFP and decided to check it out. So glad I did!!

Umm No I won't shut up. I am asking peoples opinions on something as I am considering doing it myself. Either add something constructive or don't comment.

You don't get to tell people how to respond to your thread... this is the internet, where freedom of expression exists just like in the *gasp, shock* real world. :tongue:

I thought she told me to shut up! lol :)
  • ZealousMissJJ
    ZealousMissJJ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I thought she told me to shut up! lol :)

I would never :wink: :flowerforyou:
  • rabies
    rabies Posts: 62
    Options
    Crossfit is a "brand" pretty much. It's branded circuit training, and you can do circuit training with bodyweight only with no problems at all. You could for example get the Sworkit app for your phone, or check any WOD (workout of the day) on any crossfit/circuit training website.
  • iamnotjustanumber
    Options
    Some people need to belong to a "Club".... or "Tribe"...

others are lone rangers....

High Fives and Raving about training is enough to put me off what looks like franchised circuit training....
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    No it's not TECHNICALLY a cult.

Just people try it out, you know, for fun and to get in shape and what not. They go, get told what to eat, how to lift, what to wear. Pretty soon they're hanging out with other crossfitters. Talking about their diet and routines. Then they hang out with the normal friends and no one wants to hear about their diets and routines so their normal friends slowly distance themselves. This just makes things worse for the crossfitter. He begins to wonder if anyone else loves him. He turns to crossfit for comfort, Crossfit gives it to him.

Now he is dependent on crossfit.

But it's not a cult per say.

I am thinking that I don't want anything to do with this. Sounds a bit controlling.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    No it's not TECHNICALLY a cult.

Just people try it out, you know, for fun and to get in shape and what not. They go, get told what to eat, how to lift, what to wear. Pretty soon they're hanging out with other crossfitters. Talking about their diet and routines. Then they hang out with the normal friends and no one wants to hear about their diets and routines so their normal friends slowly distance themselves. This just makes things worse for the crossfitter. He begins to wonder if anyone else loves him. He turns to crossfit for comfort, Crossfit gives it to him.

Now he is dependent on crossfit.

But it's not a cult per say.

^^^^ That is hilarious!

And I only know a few crossfitters, but they are quite into what they do. I saw an ad recently for some kind of crossfitter 5K and it really portrayed an elitist attitude, basically saying if you havent done crossfit for at least a few months, dont even attempt to enter the race. The race was for a charity I would think they'd want to attract more participants, not drive them away.
  • camrunner
    camrunner Posts: 363
    Options
    I'm pretty sure it's a cult.

Have you ever actually done crossfit? Just wondering.

Nope :) I'm an exercise hipster.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options

a) in my own home

and

b) without spending money on subscriptions (I don't mind buying some equipment if it's durable and versatile, although I don't have a huge budget so I'd rather no buy anything that's not strictly necessary)

then I'll give it a go

ETA: I think calling it a cult is hyperbole. Maybe people being overly enthusiastic and talking about it all the time and all that is annoying, but it's not really a cult. I mean people aren't brainwashed by an overly charismatic, slightly sociopathic leader, they're not held their against their will (or supposedly staying their of their own accord but too terrified to leave) kind of thing.

Crossfit.com puts workouts of the day up. I also think there's some info on building your own home gym. All the stuff for time just seems so freaking intense to me. I'm lazy, and I don't like to puke after I work out. I think what puts most people off is that most people who are really into CrossFit and really vocal about it act like it's the most. awesome. workout. ever., and no other workout is even remotely decent in comparison. Almost like Kanye, "Imma let you finish your workout, but I just wanted to say that CrossFit is the best workout of all time!" I'm sure not every Crossfitter is like that, but that is the impression many people have. If you have the time and money and it seems interesting, there's no reason not to give it a try. Find a good box with a good trainer, learn proper form and go to it. It just doesn't totally appeal to me, although it has at times.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

a) in my own home

and

then I'll give it a go

Crossfit.com puts workouts of the day up. I also think there's some info on building your own home gym. All the stuff for time just seems so freaking intense to me. I'm lazy, and I don't like to puke after I work out. I think what puts most people off is that most people who are really into CrossFit and really vocal about it act like it's the most. awesome. workout. ever., and no other workout is even remotely decent in comparison. Almost like Kanye, "Imma let you finish your workout, but I just wanted to say that CrossFit is the best workout of all time!" I'm sure not every Crossfitter is like that, but that is the impression many people have. If you have the time and money and it seems interesting, there's no reason not to give it a try. Find a good box with a good trainer, learn proper form and go to it. It just doesn't totally appeal to me, although it has at times.

thanks for the link.... I'll try doing some of those (well watered down versions of them until I get my stamina/conditioning levels up). from what I've seen of it, it's not that different to the kind of circuit training my judo coach used to make us do many of those years ago when I was in my teens. I like that kind of training, and I also like variety. I don't really have the money to join any clubs but i can give some of it a go at home.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I heard about crossfit from a friend. Then I came across a Groupon a while back, but I still wan't sure. The place had a youtube channel and I looked at a few of their clips. It didn't appeal to me, mainly because the owner/manager was narrating it saying how social a place it was and how people were always hooking up. Um, no thanks. Plus, I've been a part of competitive teams in college and after. I know that it's fun to working out as a group and having other people cheering you on, but I also know how wrapped up in it you can get. I was on the crew team in college. My non-crew friends did NOT want to hang out with me when I was with my crew friends because "ALL YOU GUYS TALK ABOUT IS CREW." I'm just not looking for that kind of thing (or the hooking up, lol) at this point in my life.

Hmmm I may have to re-think my stance on crossfit. All I got out of your post is if I go to cross fit there's a good chance of hooking up with athletic women...can't be all that bad.
  • ZealousMissJJ
    ZealousMissJJ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure it's a cult.

Have you ever actually done crossfit? Just wondering.

Nope :) I'm an exercise hipster.

Figures :wink:. Honestly, I think you're a bit quick to judge and are stereotyping people that do crossfit. Ohwell...:ohwell:
  • nashai01
    nashai01 Posts: 536 Member
    Options

a) in my own home

and

then I'll give it a go

I'm new to cross fit so I'm just reading the comments but I love the Kanye part in this, It made me laugh