You know what bugs me?

Replies

• You know what bugs me?!? I go to the gym when it's not that busy so that when I'm on a treadmill or and arc trainer I don't have to worry about someone being on either side of me and I can just go about my business of working out. Well today out of no here a guy come and gets on the machine RIGHT next to me. There were at least 7 other machines of the same type next to me. And to make things worse he started going really fast and really hard making it noticeable that he was showing off. Ahhh that bugged me so bad. Ok I'm done venting now. :)

I HATE this!!! It happens to me also. Not sure why others invade your space unless they have no other choice. It happens to me on driving range also. I want to focus and practice so I go to the far end of range. The next person shows up and goes right next to me when the entire range is open. Then if they are with someone, they start talking. I have actually moved to a different spot and they get the message. Wonder if it changes their future behavior - I doubt it!!!
  • storm15918
    storm15918 Posts: 88 Member
    Not good ladies..
    more and more are entering the free weight area in tight clothes/shorts and crop tops jiggling around with their but crack /chest crack on display and i tend to put my back to the weights or machine to phsyc myself up for a heavy set and am invariably put off or scared of being accused of looking while i m staring into space or seeing something i shouldnt see !!!

I only go to the gym to train, dont talk and dont want to be made to feel uncomfortable and you wouldnt answer your door dressed like that so why should i have to put up with it !

I'm sorry women prefer to work out and not die of heat stroke? What do you expect them to wear, parkas or long dresses? I see men at the gym walking around in tight shorts and tank tops, so why can't we? There's certainly a line that should be respected, as in have things covered, but tight clothes are perfect for exercise so you shouldn't expect people not to wear them. Did you ever stop to think that maybe women wear tight shorts because they don't chafe like loose ones do? Or maybe they wear 'crop tops' because having a neckline at their neck when working out is bothersome? Most women also go to the gym to train and don't want to be made uncomfortable by YOU staring at them and judging them for what they decided to wear. The only people who should be judging clothing choices at a gym are the staff, and if they think what the women are wearing is appropriate, then maybe it's you with the problem, not them.

Also, how do you know what they would or wouldn't answer the door in? If a woman is lounging around the house in shorts and a tank top and someone comes to the door do you expect them to go change before answering? That's just ridiculous. Perhaps you should realize that most women dress the way they do to be comfortable, not to make you uncomfortable.

Edited to add: I also hate when people run next to me on the treadmills when tons are open. I usually just ignore them though and it stops bothering me after a while. Except one time when this guy was running way too fast for himself and was clearly trying to show off. He even kept looking at my distance and speed and smirking because he was going faster. I've seen him do it to other people too. Those types are the worst, but luckily they're rare.
  • artex1024
    artex1024 Posts: 119 Member
    I always pick the machine next to the other person, so they don't feel lonely.
    if I see a lone jogger during my night time runs, I'll run up behind her too.

Hahaha
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    I always wondered why during the first three weeks at my new gym men kept choosing the treadmills right next to me...

So, it wasn't me. I just had happened to choose the machine in front of the TV playing Sportscenter :sad: :laugh:
  • lilbell13
    lilbell13 Posts: 18
    Yeah this doesnt bother me at all. I have a 'dont give a ****' attitude at the gym. I'm there to work my *kitten* off and sweat, end of story!
    So long as you're not standing in my way I dont care where you want to excersize! ;)
  • Liatush
    Liatush Posts: 627 Member
    I always pick the machine next to the other person, so they don't feel lonely.
    if I see a lone jogger during my night time runs, I'll run up behind her too.

Done and done.
  • flutterbye811
    flutterbye811 Posts: 86 Member
    I always get stuck next to the person who, after seeing there are many more machines around, decide to get on to the one next to me and start/continue to talk on their cell phones, sometimes loudly. The last time this happened she spent about 25 minutes total on the treadmill but was talking/standing on the sides of the treadmill/holding on to the treadmill for about 20 minutes of it.

I wish that I wasn't as easily distracted, even with ear buds in, but it's just damn annoying!
  • cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    He's an asshat, he can't help it. But I agree, I prefer to workout in solitude myself. That's why the music is blasting in my ears.
  • KimberlyDCZ
    KimberlyDCZ Posts: 525 Member
    Did you get his #?
  • cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    I always get stuck next to the person who, after seeing there are many more machines around, decide to get on to the one next to me and start/continue to talk on their cell phones, sometimes loudly. The last time this happened she spent about 25 minutes total on the treadmill but was talking/standing on the sides of the treadmill/holding on to the treadmill for about 20 minutes of it.

I wish that I wasn't as easily distracted, even with ear buds in, but it's just damn annoying!

It is annoying, my gym has a no cell phone use policy unless you are in the lobby.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Well today out of no here a guy come and gets on the machine RIGHT next to me. There were at least 7 other machines of the same type next to me.

Welcome to the urinals at a men's bathroom. There is always "that guy" who has to snuggle up next to you and start talking too.

15f20930.png
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Not good ladies..
    more and more are entering the free weight area in tight clothes/shorts and crop tops jiggling around with their but crack /chest crack on display and i tend to put my back to the weights or machine to phsyc myself up for a heavy set and am invariably put off or scared of being accused of looking while i m staring into space or seeing something i shouldnt see !!!

I only go to the gym to train, dont talk and dont want to be made to feel uncomfortable and you wouldnt answer your door dressed like that so why should i have to put up with it !

I'm sorry women prefer to work out and not die of heat stroke? What do you expect them to wear, parkas or long dresses? I see men at the gym walking around in tight shorts and tank tops, so why can't we? There's certainly a line that should be respected, as in have things covered, but tight clothes are perfect for exercise so you shouldn't expect people not to wear them. Did you ever stop to think that maybe women wear tight shorts because they don't chafe like loose ones do? Or maybe they wear 'crop tops' because having a neckline at their neck when working out is bothersome? Most women also go to the gym to train and don't want to be made uncomfortable by YOU staring at them and judging them for what they decided to wear. The only people who should be judging clothing choices at a gym are the staff, and if they think what the women are wearing is appropriate, then maybe it's you with the problem, not them.

Also, how do you know what they would or wouldn't answer the door in? If a woman is lounging around the house in shorts and a tank top and someone comes to the door do you expect them to go change before answering? That's just ridiculous. Perhaps you should realize that most women dress the way they do to be comfortable, not to make you uncomfortable.

I was just about to post ALL of this. Thank you! And by the way dude, I answer the door in my pajamas/workout clothes all the time. I really don't care what the delivery man thinks of me. Surprise! Women aren't choosing their clothes with YOU in mind!
  • I understand the need and the benefit of a little venting. Absolutely.
    But I get a little unnerved when I read posts like these and some of the responses.
    I go to the gym to work out and do my thing. I pay very little attention to what anyone else is doing. And I assume people pay very little attention to me.
    So maybe I should feel a little more self conscious? I cover my numbers with a towel, just so I don't have to watch the clock ticking. Do the other people think I'm hiding something? Why would anyone look at anyone else's numbers anyway?
    I really do think more are like me than not though, at least at my gym. Everyone just does their own thing. The only thing that really bugs me are the loud loud loud tv's. I wear headphones and sometimes can't drown them out.
  • mrdexter1
    mrdexter1 Posts: 356 Member
    Not good ladies..

Edited to add: I also hate when people run next to me on the treadmills when tons are open. I usually just ignore them though and it stops bothering me after a while. Except one time when this guy was running way too fast for himself and was clearly trying to show off. He even kept looking at my distance and speed and smirking because he was going faster. I've seen him do it to other people too. Those types are the worst, but luckily they're rare.

I just want to get in train hard and get out in 45 minutes... granted there s a time and a place for butt crack and chest crack if a woman is so inclined - but i dont want it stuffed in my face at the gym thankyou !!!!! AS for creepy men using the machine at the side of you when others are free, well its not my fault you attract people like that for some reason now is it .
  • we797
    we797 Posts: 8
    The girl next to me today kept putting her towel over the numbers on her treadmill and I felt like it was to hide them from me, which I thought was weird. Since you know, she's the one who moved next to me.

Whoa! It looks like some people on here feel they are the hottest thing since sliced bread. A lot of people do the towel on the screen thing, it is to avoid their being distracted by it. I usually cover my screen, plug my ears and listen to music until I hit the target number of songs.
    But come to think of it, while one person is complaining about people running really fast as showing off, another is complaining about people hiding their numbers. I guess no matter what you do, people that want to be offended will always find a way to be offended.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,749 Member
    Sometimes there are certain machines I KNOW work well and that I like and vise versa. (don't work well, and I don't like) Maybe that was one of his favorite machines? :flowerforyou:

That was my thought. There is this one particular machine at the gym that is different than all the others like it. I think it's broken because the resistance is so hard even on the easiest setting. I'll admit that I have one machine that I go to all the time and I would be that person next to you when there are 20 open ones. *shrugs*
    The girl next to me today kept putting her towel over the numbers on her treadmill and I felt like it was to hide them from me, which I thought was weird. Since you know, she's the one who moved next to me.

Um, I'll do this if I am doing a long run on the TM because watching the time can be really annoying.

And for the record if I hop on the TM next to you and start cranking up the speed it's not because I'm "trying to show off" it's because I run fast. Period.
  • storm15918
    Not good ladies..

I just want to get in train hard and get out in 45 minutes... granted there s a time and a place for butt crack and chest crack if a woman is so inclined - but i dont want it stuffed in my face at the gym thankyou !!!!! AS for creepy men using the machine at the side of you when others are free, well its not my fault you attract people like that for some reason now is it .

Well it's a problem if they're up in your face and making it a point to show off. My point was just that you shouldn't judge women for going to the gym and doing the same thing you're trying to do. Is there no way you can face to not see other people? The lifters at my gym usually face the wall so they can focus on themselves, and also because they can watch their form in the mirrors.

I don't know what you're trying to imply with your last statement there, but it's not appreciated. Just so you know, that day I was wearing a t-shirt and decently long shorts. I wasn't showing "butt crack and chest crack". Your implication that I do anything to attract weird guys is insulting and just feeds into society's belief that women shouldn't dress a certain way if they don't want to be bothered. That guy only did that to me once, and I saw him to it to GUY on the ellipticals a few weeks later. It's the guy needing to show off, not me dressing in any particular way. It's people like you that make it impossible for women to just be who they are and not have to fear for their safety all the time. Grow up and stop blaming women.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    I once had an obese woman get upset with me at the gym. I got on my favorite treadmill and started doing my thing. I walk REALLY fast (5mph) so after a minute of warming up bumped up to my speed and started going to town. This woman starts making huffing noises and storms off her machine, swearing and fussing! I barely notice all this, mind you, as I was too busy keeping up my pace. Later I'm on a weight machine and she comes up to me and apologizes for 'getting angry and loud' with me, it's just that she really hates it when skinny people try to 'show her up' and 'show off' because it's 'making fun of her' and on and on and on. She had this big complex about it. I told her Look first of all I am hardly skinny, and I used to be your size just last year! One of the things that got me out of obesity was/is working out, and I like to maximize my time at the gym so I go as fast as I can to make good use of my time. I could take 40 minutes to walk 2 miles (3mph) but why do that when I can knock it out in 24 minutes (5mph). That's why I was going so fast, it had NOTHING to do with you. And that treadmill, I consider it 'mine'. I know it's silly but it's my favorite treadmill so when it is free I always jump on it. Nothing to do with you!

She seemed receptive and acted like she was listening, but then she said, But you don't have to lie about being my weight, you don't even know how much I weigh and I doubt you were ever this big. I said Well I WAS obese last year and you appear to be about the same size I was was. Excuse me for my mistake!

Sheesh!

So yah don't personalize what other people do! Trust, no one is trying to show off or show you up or anything like that. No one is even thinking about you. Everybody fit at your gym got that way by coming in and busting their hind parts. Who has time or interest in trying to show a total stranger up??
  • storm15918
    On a funnier note, I just found this while surfing the interwebs:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/gym

It's not completely related, but it's close enough :smile: