Alcohol made me do it....

Options
...well, not really. I did it myself. My diary is open and I've logged what turned into a shocking Monday night. Just one glass of wine won't hurt, I said. Next thing I know, I'm into my second bottle and raiding the house for all the NOM-NOMS I could find. Chocolate, crackers, pastry. Several thousand calories later, I crash out on the couch, tipsy and dizzy from the sugar.

My one consolation was the hour and a half I spent dancing around the lounge room to YouTube videos while drinking, although I didn't break a sweat so I'm NOT counting that as exercise.

All in all, I guess I've identified what a trigger alcohol can be for me. The fact I can't seem to stop at one glass and the fact it leads me into making food choices based on poor judgement was the reason I was attempting to do a booze-free April. I had made it through until last night.

I have logged IT ALL!!! No sense hiding from what I've done. I will also fess up to my fiance that I drank alcohol (he is aware I had a goal of not drinking during April) and show him what I ate.

Does alcohol affect your food choices? Any advice from fellow drinkers? What's the best thing to do for your body post-binge?

Thanks for reading xx

Replies

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Been there a few times. As long as I don't do all the time, every weekend or week, I don't have a problem with it.
  • adam1885282
    adam1885282 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I've discovered that binging is binging. The tendency is inside you to over indulge in whatever. I am battling the same problem at the moment. I had stopped drinking completely when I was losing weight. I've started again now that I'm trying to maintain weight loss and build strength. Sorry I have no answers, just commiserating, I suppose. Good luck.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I tend to not eat when I drink so I can get buzzed on less alcohol. Poor people solutions...
  • neddoh
    neddoh Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I ALWAYS want pizza, burritos, poutine or street meat if I've been drinking. If I'm out somewhere, I usually make sure I get it. Been a lot better about it lately, but I definitely feel your pain!
  • Strangelyinsane
    Strangelyinsane Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I found that once I had one drink I always wanted more. My best intentions to moderate were pushed aside in favor of "just one more". I finally realized that if one always (or almost always, at least) turned into more than I intended to drink then I should not have that first drink. So I don't.

I found that once I had one cookie...

and so it goes.
  • woodsy0912
    woodsy0912 Posts: 323
    Options
    I am good most of the time...but sometimes those wine munchies get me binging so bad. I would just let it turn into a "cheat day."

I realize the problem now and prelogging really helps me. Pre log my wine, drink it and be merry, then GO TO BED. :laugh:
  • Cobwellac
    Cobwellac Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    We've all been there at least once. I wouldn't worry about it too much; ;just get back on track tomorrow and you'll be fine. Now I want wine!
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Asians don't handle alcohol well. A little for me turns more into a food bonanza than anything else. I log it and move on.
  • buffty
    buffty Posts: 83
    Options
    This post made me laugh, who hasn't done this?!

Just one glass of wine.... never ends there for me. I can't trust myself, and booze munchies always mean an added thousand calories in takeout and/or ice cream. For that reason, I am trying to abstain completely at the moment, until I hit my next goal.

A little naughtiness every once in a while is OK, as long as we're not doing it all the time. So give yourself a break and accept that you're human. Sounds like you had a great night in though!
  • srs88
    srs88 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I tend to not eat when I drink so I can get buzzed on less alcohol. Poor people solutions...

Giving blood before you drink would also help this situation.
  • amberxy
    amberxy Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies all. Nice to know it's not just me! I have logged it all, now I will move on :)
  • jgcurry3
    jgcurry3 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I tend to miss out on eating enough calories on weekends because of how much Im on the road so killing a 12 pack is both relaxing and helps me reach my calories, granted it probably isn't the best way, but I don't see any one cooking my food for me.
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    This was my sunday night too. All you can do is hydrate, and get your butt moving the next day. Wine is so good though...
  • HoosierBecky
    HoosierBecky Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    <----Been there.

I like to cook with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.
  • amberxy
    Options

I like this!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    its called AA ...use it ..regularly...
  • amberxy
    Options
    <----Been there.

I like to cook with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

LOL!!
  • AllAboutThatTreble
    AllAboutThatTreble Posts: 156 Member
    Options

Lol so much this. I went to Vegas for my birthday and was quite content to not eat a lot because food was expensive, and I'd get a better buzz from less alcohol (which was also expensive)
  • 4bigeasy
    4bigeasy Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    It's so hard to give up alcohol when dieting. I'm so used to having a beer or two after work and splurging more on the weekends. I'm also trying to cut out wheat and gluten, so beer is doubly bad. And when I do slip, I'm like you and it's rarely one. It's a 6 pack (or more) and eating anything fried and delicious is the least of my bad choices. lol!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    its called AA ...use it ..regularly...

No don't. There are other ways if you need help. That's a bloody depressing place to have to go forever when you don't have to.