oh no! i ate 2700 calories in one day?

Options
as of 2 days ago i started drinking green smoothies... as of 2 weeks ago i started drinking frozen berries smoothies. as of 1 month ago i started drinking 3 liters of water per day.

yesterday i ate 1 egg, uncooked oats and seeds homemade muesli for breakfast, some mussels, brown rice and vegies for lunch and 3 small pieces of chicken for dinner... plus 4 servings of home made berries and green smoothies... but my total caloric intake was 2769!

can i potentially loose weight if i keep going like this? my fiber in the past week skyrocketed and sodium and fat all went down.

my berries smoothie is almond milk and frozen berries plus chia seeds and raw organic cocoa powder and raw vegan brown rice sprout protein if i go to the gym; my green smoothie is celery kale, spinach, cucumber, parsely, 5 grapes, 1 apple, half a banana and 1 tsp of spirulina powder.

what do u guys think? has anyone any experience eating alot of calories but in vegies and fruit? thanks!

Replies

• suv_hater
    suv_hater Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Fruit is thermogenic. You can eat as much of it as you want, it will get burnt off. You can't get fat from eating too much fruit. Never seen it.
  • Viva81Diva
    Viva81Diva Posts: 148
    Options
    Calories in, calories out. You have to burn more than what you consume in order to lose weight. 3500 calories = 1 pound, so if you eat 2700 calories and burn 3000 each day, you WILL lose but it will take you approximately 12 days to lose 1 pound.
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Fruit is thermogenic. You can eat as much of it as you want, it will get burnt off. You can't get fat from eating too much fruit. Never seen it.

Fruit is thermogenic? I've never heard that but there's a first for everything..

Also, you CAN eat too much of anything and gain weight. Even the good stuff (i.e. fruits & veggies). Fruits have sugar. They're not zero cals.

OP- thats great that you're upping your fiber but protein/fat/ carbs are just as important. Can I ask whyyou're choosing to go with fruits and veggies? If you're vegan or vegetarian then fine.. however honestly I don't believe you will lose any weight eating that many calories a day. Its possible for some people (depending on their body composition, how much they have to lose to begin with,etc.) ... but 2700+ calories sounds more like maintenance /gain than weight loss.
  • SenseiCole
    SenseiCole Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I just had a look at yesterday food, I think your eating too much as you are going over cals intake

good luck
  • Viva81Diva
    Viva81Diva Posts: 148
    Options
    Fruits/veggies are fine to eat and lose, but also keep in mind that your body needs certain amounts of sodium, fat, cholesterol (sp?), etc. etc. in order to function.

I was just wondering, though. How does your body feel in regard to drinking so much water? Just wondering because my body isn't able to handle it. I can only drink about 10 - 11 glasses (10 mainly) each day without feeling slushy. I typically lose 2 to 3 lbs with that amount.
  • Dulcemami4ever
    Dulcemami4ever Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    You can gain weight if you eat over your calorie limit regardless of what you are eating. Fruits and veggies are very good for you, but everything you put in your body has sugars, fats, carbs and calories. If you are not burning the calories off to atleast your maintenance calories, then you'll probably gain weight.
  • BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Potentially you could lose weight eating that much, but you haven't given us any information about your activity level or exercise. Have you calculated your TDEE? Mine is right around 3000 calories, so I could eat 2700 calories a day and still lose (slowly, but I'd lose), but your numbers are going to depend on your weight/age/activity level/etc.
  • humblestudent
    humblestudent Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    well the fruits that i ate yesterday was 1 apple, half a banana, 5 grapes and 2 cups or so of mixed frozen berries (strawberries, blueberries, rasberries), the rest is around 2 - 3handfuls of kale/silverbeet/tuscan cabbage kale, 2 handfuls of spinach, 1 handful of parsely, half a cucumber, 3 stalks of celery, 1 tsp of spirulina.

3 liters is really not that much... its about 12 glasses :) and for the past month i have never felt better... but yeh its also due to the uncooked oats. they have given me soooooooooooo much energy... since 2 days ago since i started my green smoothies i have been eliminating 2ce a day at least.

i'm not veg. used to try to be but its too hard. i eat chicken, lamb and seafood now. i am going to add some flaxseed oil and avocado to my green smoothies later tnite :)

thanks for all the replies! i guess i was just wondering if i can actually loose weight if i added more vegie smoothies to my diet. i saw the juice fasts and i'm not good at fasting. so i decided that i want the bulk and pulp of the vegies too so yeh started drinking these... its soooooooooooo filling i guess cause of the fiber! and proly nutrients too :) kale and other vegies and chia seeds as well as oats can absorbs alot of waste and can drag it out of ur system.

just had a look at my weight for the past month. i lost 1.5kgs. its not much... i guess it all started when i tried this detox thing. i know ppl say they dont work. but after the detox i can't actually eat take away food anymore. i had it about 3 times and each time i felt like i got punched in the liver lol also i wanted to increase my intake of dark green leafy veg and i had a hard time consuming anymore than 1 handful of it by eating it, so smoothies are great cause i can just drink it all! XD

and i heard that the sugar in fruit is different than say hi fructose corn syrup and sugar etc.
  • humblestudent
    humblestudent Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    oh wow i have never heard of TDEE before? mine is about 2600?

and i exercise about 3 times a week (about 40mins) on average. cant exercise too much i have lupus SLE (autoimmune disease, can put me in the hospital if over exercise triggers a flare up etc).

i dont know if i agree so much with the argument that if u eat too much fruits and veg u will get fat... i have never seen a fat raw food vegan who's doing it right... they eat like 5 bananas a day and huge portions of salad n veg etc lol!! but i am not raw nor vegan.
  • Babsvii
    Babsvii Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Looked at your diary its not what you are eating that is bad, its the amount of your portions... i seen that you used 500ml of almond milk in your shake... why so much? 1 serving is 250ml... You have your portions way out... reduce your portions and then your calories will be more in check and you will lose more weight.
  • BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    Options

and i exercise about 3 times a week (about 40mins) on average. cant exercise too much i have lupus SLE (autoimmune disease, can put me in the hospital if over exercise triggers a flare up etc).

i dont know if i agree so much with the argument that if u eat too much fruits and veg u will get fat... i have never seen a fat raw food vegan who's doing it right... they eat like 5 bananas a day and huge portions of salad n veg etc lol!! but i am not raw nor vegan.

If you are burning 2600 calories a day and take in 2700 calories a day, you're going to gain weight. Sure, there is a lot of nutritional value to fruits and vegetables, but that doesn't negate the calories.
  • suv_hater
    suv_hater Posts: 374 Member
    Options

If you are burning 2600 calories a day and take in 2700 calories a day, you're going to gain weight. Sure, there is a lot of nutritional value to fruits and vegetables, but that doesn't negate the calories.
    Fruits burn MORE calories than they actually contain. For this reason people that are on a mostly fruitarian diet can eats loads of fruit (over 3000 cals) and still be lean.

If I ate 2500 cals of standard American diet food, I would feel a lot fuller than if I ate 2500 cals from fruit only. I would need to eat more cals from fruit because my body is burning it off at a higher rate.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options

[/

Fruits burn MORE calories than they actually contain. For this reason people that are on a mostly fruitarian diet can eats loads of fruit (over 3000 cals) and still be lean.

If I ate 2500 cals of standard American diet food, I would feel a lot fuller than if I ate 2500 cals from fruit only. I would need to eat more cals from fruit because my body is burning it off at a higher rate.

No....no.no
  • xvegivorex
    Options
    i've eaten over 6,000 before and im eating according to my TDEE 20% under my TDEE is 1,426 so at 6,000 is a really big binge and i could gain a ton of weight - i just cant stop bingeing but that is a separate topic - just chalk today up as a high metabolism day at 2700 cals and vow to do better tomorrow! *hugs* xSari
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options

That is a pretty bold claim. Do you have a source to back that up with??

to OP, I'd think about cutting back on so many smoothies and eat some real food. I can eat 2700 calories in a day, when I run far enough. . If you want to eat that much gotta run hard or start lifting heavy.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

That is a pretty bold claim. Do you have a source to back that up with??

to OP, I'd think about cutting back on so many smoothies and eat some real food. I can eat 2700 calories in a day, when I run far enough. . If you want to eat that much gotta run hard or start lifting heavy.

I'm with Bill. Sources? Otherwise, Broscience...NO.
    Also, if you are eating only fruit, you are going to end up in the hospital. Just ask Ashton Kutcher about that one.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    Once in a blue moon won't kill you in fact some say it's helpful (once in a while) to reset certain hormones. But most days you should stay at your goal.
  • zen1910
    zen1910 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Fruits contain calories. If you eat 3,000 calories of fruit, you still ate 3,000 calories.

While fruit can be more satisfying, it is not a zero calorie food. This is why I struggled losing weight on Weight Watchers-I can easily eat 1500 calories of fruit and veggies a day, and while they may be zero points, they are not zero calories.

Eating fruit and veggies is a great way to feel satisfied by your caloric intake, but it is still a caloric intake. I would suggest reducing your portion sizes to keep your calorie intake in check. Losing weight really is just using more calories than you are taking in.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are making some healthy choices... balance in all things of course. If you are consuming more calories than you are burning, then you will gain weight... at least in the long term. If you consume less than you burn, you will lose... Best wishes on your journey.