oh no! i ate 2700 calories in one day?

Options

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Fruit is thermogenic. You can eat as much of it as you want, it will get burnt off. You can't get fat from eating too much fruit. Never seen it.

This is just false.

Eat too much fruit (more than your TDEE) and you WILL gain weight. Fruit is not magical.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Fruits contain calories. If you eat 3,000 calories of fruit, you still ate 3,000 calories.

While fruit can be more satisfying, it is not a zero calorie food. This is why I struggled losing weight on Weight Watchers-I can easily eat 1500 calories of fruit and veggies a day, and while they may be zero points, they are not zero calories.

Eating fruit and veggies is a great way to feel satisfied by your caloric intake, but it is still a caloric intake. I would suggest reducing your portion sizes to keep your calorie intake in check. Losing weight really is just using more calories than you are taking in.

True! I did Weight Watchers too and ate loads of fruit because it was allowed as zero points same as veggies and I stopped losing. I quit WW and came here. Calories need to be counted.. all of them!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    oh wow i have never heard of TDEE before? mine is about 2600?

and i exercise about 3 times a week (about 40mins) on average. cant exercise too much i have lupus SLE (autoimmune disease, can put me in the hospital if over exercise triggers a flare up etc).

i dont know if i agree so much with the argument that if u eat too much fruits and veg u will get fat... i have never seen a fat raw food vegan who's doing it right... they eat like 5 bananas a day and huge portions of salad n veg etc lol!! but i am not raw nor vegan.

If you are burning 2600 calories a day and take in 2700 calories a day, you're going to gain weight. Sure, there is a lot of nutritional value to fruits and vegetables, but that doesn't negate the calories.
    Fruits burn MORE calories than they actually contain. For this reason people that are on a mostly fruitarian diet can eats loads of fruit (over 3000 cals) and still be lean.

If I ate 2500 cals of standard American diet food, I would feel a lot fuller than if I ate 2500 cals from fruit only. I would need to eat more cals from fruit because my body is burning it off at a higher rate.

SheldonNo_zps12bec133.gif

Do you have any sources for the nonsense you doll out? Nothing from an unlicensed chiropractor please.

BRB going to go lose weight on 5,000 calories of fruit.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Fruit is thermogenic. You can eat as much of it as you want, it will get burnt off. You can't get fat from eating too much fruit. Never seen it.

How are you not banned yet?
  • Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    as of 2 days ago i started drinking green smoothies... as of 2 weeks ago i started drinking frozen berries smoothies. as of 1 month ago i started drinking 3 liters of water per day.

yesterday i ate 1 egg, uncooked oats and seeds homemade muesli for breakfast, some mussels, brown rice and vegies for lunch and 3 small pieces of chicken for dinner... plus 4 servings of home made berries and green smoothies... but my total caloric intake was 2769!

can i potentially loose weight if i keep going like this? my fiber in the past week skyrocketed and sodium and fat all went down.

my berries smoothie is almond milk and frozen berries plus chia seeds and raw organic cocoa powder and raw vegan brown rice sprout protein if i go to the gym; my green smoothie is celery kale, spinach, cucumber, parsely, 5 grapes, 1 apple, half a banana and 1 tsp of spirulina powder.

what do u guys think? has anyone any experience eating alot of calories but in vegies and fruit? thanks!

Check out my diary. I ate 2500 today. I had a green smoothie for breakfast with kale, fruit, seeds, nuts. I had salmon and brown rice from lunch and organic free range chicken for dinner. This diet and these calories are pretty typical for me. Now.... I am not losing weight at the moment because I am doing a metabolism reset so I am deliberately eating at my maintenance calories for 8 weeks. Then I will cut down to 15% deficit calories (2000 calories). But I eat at least 2300 calories a day without gaining an ounce. And I am mostly sedentary.

Now, whether you can eat 2700 calories and lose weight depends on how much exercise you are getting (how much your total burn for the day is), and how fast your metabolism is. But theoretically, yes its very possible. :))

So refreshing to see a girl who EATS! That is the best thing you can do for your metabolism. :flowerforyou:
  • pomegranatemint
    pomegranatemint Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    You will find people on a raw diet tend eat a lot more calories from fruit and vegies, and a lot actual lose quite a bit of weight. Goole raw food and calories. The original posters meal isn't quite raw, but just saying if you look it up people do lose weight having more calories if they have just mainly fruit and veg. Not saying it's good, just saying theories that you don't lose weight if you go over calorie allotment is not always true.
  • Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    well the fruits that i ate yesterday was 1 apple, half a banana, 5 grapes and 2 cups or so of mixed frozen berries (strawberries, blueberries, rasberries), the rest is around 2 - 3handfuls of kale/silverbeet/tuscan cabbage kale, 2 handfuls of spinach, 1 handful of parsely, half a cucumber, 3 stalks of celery, 1 tsp of spirulina.

3 liters is really not that much... its about 12 glasses :) and for the past month i have never felt better... but yeh its also due to the uncooked oats. they have given me soooooooooooo much energy... since 2 days ago since i started my green smoothies i have been eliminating 2ce a day at least.

i'm not veg. used to try to be but its too hard. i eat chicken, lamb and seafood now. i am going to add some flaxseed oil and avocado to my green smoothies later tnite :)

thanks for all the replies! i guess i was just wondering if i can actually loose weight if i added more vegie smoothies to my diet. i saw the juice fasts and i'm not good at fasting. so i decided that i want the bulk and pulp of the vegies too so yeh started drinking these... its soooooooooooo filling i guess cause of the fiber! and proly nutrients too :) kale and other vegies and chia seeds as well as oats can absorbs alot of waste and can drag it out of ur system.

just had a look at my weight for the past month. i lost 1.5kgs. its not much... i guess it all started when i tried this detox thing. i know ppl say they dont work. but after the detox i can't actually eat take away food anymore. i had it about 3 times and each time i felt like i got punched in the liver lol also i wanted to increase my intake of dark green leafy veg and i had a hard time consuming anymore than 1 handful of it by eating it, so smoothies are great cause i can just drink it all! XD

and i heard that the sugar in fruit is different than say hi fructose corn syrup and sugar etc.

I love smoothies too for the same reason! I have so much energy since I have been doing smoothies! I also was not getting greens until now I blend them in my smoothie and drink it and it's great! I think that you are doing great and on the right track :flowerforyou:
  • Alison12121
    Alison12121 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I would give it a week or more to see how your body responds. If you're on track with your calories, and you're losing weight and feeling healthy that way, then go for it. However, for me, cutting down on fruit (especially in smoothies and homemade yogurts) helped me to lose weight.

I was on WW before, and on that plan fruits didn't count in terms of points or calories. I had several servings of fruit everyday, and I sometimes made smoothies and yogurts too. While they were delicious, they certainly impacted my weight loss because they still have calories that can add up. I didn't realize how many extra calories of fruit I was eating until I joined MFP, and I've found that I'm doing better by accounting for the calories in fruit. So, while fruits are great I would cut back a little, and try to eat them whole instead of in smoothies.
  • chkn_WANG_Train
    Options
    i've met fat vegans, vegetarians.

Your food looks delicious. I was a vegan for 2 + years and even though I was sort of eating a lot of crap still (vegan baking) I still lost weight ... but I was biking 25 - 50 miles a day... it was just what I did. I can't say what would of happened otherwise, but there is no way i would feel right just feeding myself juice all the time. Unless I had to. This one girl I know had locked jaw, so she had everything through a straw for a month. I can chew, so I chew.

I like to keep my body on it's toes, make sure it remembers how to break down and digest normal foods. I don't take many vitamins or supplements or even Advil for this reason. Well ok, I tried a vegan protein powder for a bit. I'll probably use it again at some point if I need more protein.

I'm yammaring on but my point is are you trying to loose weight or are you trying to juice? I can't tell which is for what in your case all the reasoning seems blurry so I don't know exactly what you want here. It sounds like you want to eat a bunch of fruit smoothies a day and you want people to tell you that's awesome. I think it's excessive, but you might feel awesome. And if so, awesome.
  • cbteegardin
    cbteegardin Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    RAW (read RAW) Fruits and vegetables promote weight loss because they ...
    •are very low in fat.
    •are low in calories.
    •are high in fiber, vitamins and minerals.
    •eliminate wastes quickly and help reduce
    cravings for sweets.
    •keep your energy levels steady so you don't
    become too hungry or too tired.
    •carry off excess body acids, and are rich in vitamins,
    minerals and enzymes that satisfy the body's nutrient requirements with less food.

If you overeat any type of foods, RAW fruits and veggies will have the least impact on gaining weight, But overindulgence isn't without consequence.

Some RAW foods like, broccoli, asparagus, celery, and strawberries may burn more calories processing them than the actual calorie content of the food itself., BUT not all fruit is equal in this manner. Tropical fruit and dried fruit are laden with sugar which is far too easily converted to blood sugar (subsequently increasing insulin and triggering fat storage). Liquid calories should be avoided (energy levels SPIKE!). Smoothies are the wrong way to get your veggies and fruit, and juicing is a HUGE mistake!

Eat the food raw and you'll eat less of it, have more balanced energy, and feel fuller on less.

Nuts are overrated and Almond milk should be drank in moderation. Nuts are too dense, pack A LOT of calories, are loaded with THE BAD FATS, and they don't satiate the appetite.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    RAW (read RAW) Fruits and vegetables promote weight loss because they ...
    •are very low in fat.
    •are low in calories.
    •are high in fiber, vitamins and minerals.
    •eliminate wastes quickly and help reduce
    cravings for sweets.
    •keep your energy levels steady so you don't
    become too hungry or too tired.
    •carry off excess body acids, and are rich in vitamins,
    minerals and enzymes that satisfy the body's nutrient requirements with less food.

If you overeat any type of foods, RAW fruits and veggies will have the least impact on gaining weight, But overindulgence isn't without consequence.

Some RAW foods like, broccoli, asparagus, celery, and strawberries may burn more calories processing them than the actual calorie content of the food itself., BUT not all fruit is equal in this manner. Tropical fruit and dried fruit are laden with sugar which is far too easily converted to blood sugar (subsequently increasing insulin and triggering fat storage). Liquid calories should be avoided (energy levels SPIKE!). Smoothies are the wrong way to get your veggies and fruit, and juicing is a HUGE mistake!

Eat the food raw and you'll eat less of it, have more balanced energy, and feel fuller on less.

Nuts are overrated and Almond milk should be drank in moderation. Nuts are too dense, pack A LOT of calories, are loaded with THE BAD FATS, and they don't satiate the appetite.

Bad fats in nuts...

Negative calorie foods...

No. Just no.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    ^^ Tell me more about these nuts that are loaded with trans fats.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Yes and no.

Yes, fruit is thermogenic. But so is all food. This is called the Thermogenic Effect of Food. It takes energy to digest food. However fruit TEF is not so high as to cause a net negative energy effect. Possibly mustard and capsiacin, for example have a net negative calorie thermogenesis. But certainly not all fruit.
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are measuring the seeds and nuts in the smoothies and the portions on rice...they add up fast!
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options

WHAT???????? A Calorie is a Calorie. Fruit is loaded with natural SUGARS... IF YOU DON'T BURN IT, YOU STORE IT.. IT'S CALLED FAT.

CITE A CREDIBLE SOURCE FOR YOUR OUTRAGEOUS CLAIMS AND I WILL CHANGE MY DIET TOMORROW!
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Are you measuring these things out or just guessing? Looking at your diary for today I'd wager you're guessing. You drank 1 liter of almond milk alone and with that sort of carb intake, myself I would feel awful and bloated. 360g+ of carbs is what you'd see a body builder taking in on a heavy lift day.

You will gain weight eating like this every day, unless you're spending 2-3 hours of working really hard in the gym a day. I think you'd be better off sitting down and planning your next day, make a goal of 2000 calories or so (maintenance for most people) , chose your foods to fit your fat/carb/protein a bit closer and then use your exercise as your calorie decifit. You should still feel full, especially with your liquid intake, keep the healthy foods that you're enjoying AND lose some weight to top it all off. give it a try this week and let us know how it goes.
  • skinnytayy
    skinnytayy Posts: 459
    Options

2816yc.gif
  • humblestudent
    humblestudent Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    wow!!! amazing what social networks do when u have you're not looking?? lol firstly please respect everyone here.. if people have different diets than your own please respect that. i guess what people say should be backed up by science. but then again, alot of other comments are not backed either... just dont fight ok lets just all get along.. lol

i think i have been guessing about the almond milk! i think i def drank 750mls yesterday. cause i will have 1 cup to put on my oats for breakfast, and at least 1 cup for 2 serves of smoothies. i think i'll def cut that down! the night before last i made my green smoothie with water. :)

i didnt say there's no fat vegans or vegetarians. i said there's no fat raw vegans who are doing it right. i have so far not encountered anyone overweight who is doing it right.

i am trying to incorporate smoothies, not juice into my diet because its harder to eat them lol

and no i am not really looking for approval from anyone, just other perspectives, which is exactly what i got.

seeds and nuts i did not put into smoothies. pumpkin and sunflower seeds are in my morning uncooked oats.

thanks so much for the encouragements and the feedback too!

i dont think i will drink 4 smoothies everyday and be able to still eat... but for some raeson yesterday my body just soaked it up! :) i did feel overly full tho lol
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    ^^ Tell me more about these nuts that are loaded with trans fats.

yeah I'd like to know too :huh:

I try to incorporate sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, almonds, walnuts and pistachios into my diet and they are VERY calorie laden but have MANY healthy benefits.

p.s. thanks for reminding me to log them, forgot about lunch! :laugh:
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    i dont think i will drink 4 smoothies everyday and be able to still eat... but for some raeson yesterday my body just soaked it up! :) i did feel overly full tho lol

I find I have this on days where I have nothing to do. I sit around and just keep wanting to eat eat EAT.

Go get busy, find something constructive to do with your time (if you don't regularly already). This will help prevent overeating :flowerforyou: