SAHM 5/17 - 5/23

Options
DrBorkBork
DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
We are a group of FABULOUS sahm's who are committed to our good health goals. We are informal but do challenge each other too. and we totally get the unique roles we play and the struggles that follow in trying to get fit and take care of our families and homes. :) come join the conversation at any time. we welcome newcomers!

Replies

• Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    What is a SAHM? Stay at home mom?
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    So hubby gave himself food poisoning, Grace has mean sinus funk and is miserable, and I am fending something off too. Going to store today for Bolthouse C-Boost, Airborne, and Tylenol Dayquil/Nightquil.

Grace spent most of the night in bed with us. She felt rotten enough that she would just bawl if she was in her bed. She drove me bananas by kicking me, whining about the blanket (wants it off, wants it on, wants it off again). I tried to put her back in her bed, but that made matters worse. So I said a prayer asking for patience and to understand her needs so I could help her get rest. Things got better from there. Andy finally came to bed at 3, and that made things MUCH better (Grace is daddy's princess). I still got kicked/had random kid parts pushing against me, but she was much happier and easier to satisfy. Around 5 or so, she said she wanted to go back to her bed, so Andy helped her with that, and we managed to get some sleep.
    Got up at 8:30. Will run to store for stuffs when Andy gets up. He said yesterday he'd lay on couch & be miserable with Grace so I could go to gym in peace.

Good times, right?
  • DrBorkBork
    Options

Yes, ours is a support group for stay at home moms :)
  • nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    GM! We had a super bust weekend with Ash going to the prom and all of the good stuff that goes with it!

My main goal this week is tno not go over on my cals. I haven't been doing the best with that lately. I have been good on my water though!

Kim- congrats on the graduate! that is always a bittersweet time.

Stacey- you made me giggle when you said you were pulling weeds in your rock yard. It made me think of my brother's yard. he lives outside of Phoenix, and he finally put in a rock yard for his front yard. They had grass prior....in a desert!:laugh: It was the previous owners that had that, but it took him 11 years to change it.
  • nicolee516
    Options
    Trish- I think I was Gracie last night! I was doing the same thing. Covers on, off, sweating, freezing, kept my poor Andy awake. I think it's the weather for me though. we had a bunch of thunderstorms roll through last night.
  • KatieM7
    KatieM7 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Trish~Sick kids and hubby's are no fun! My husband had something last week and boy was it a joke (came down with it on Wed. gma's funeral Thurs. so he wasn't over it). Now my son (3) has something. Slept with us last night at our feet (I can't stand that got to have my feet free) and if that wasn't bad enough he threw up on the hubby's side of the bed and peed on mine! The joys of having kids. Then this morning my daughter (4) was complaining of a stomach ache, no going to school for her loads of mischief for me :(. Today ought to be a very interesting day for us. I hope the hubby and Grace get feeling better soon and whatever you are fighting too.

Nicole~Good job on the water. You can do it with your cals.

My walking competition that I did I ended up not going as far as I would have liked to do. I wanted to go 8 + miles. I went 5.05. The friend I was competing with ended up going 6 miles. However if the weather is nice this next weekend we are going to do it again. Lots to do today: laundry, grocery shopping (somehow with sick kids), cleaning house, taking care of those sick kids and a workout.
  • momma2five
    momma2five Posts: 7
    Options
    hi im shawna im 21 and i have 5 kids( 4 are step kids but i take care of them and i have one of my own) i stay home and take care of them i need to lose weight, i want to lose weight and i have to lose it! so what kinda challenges/ things do u do?
  • staceyw37
    staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    welcome shawna!
    we are not a formal challenges kind of group. sometimes we post our goals or compete (friendly) with each other, but we are first and foremost support.
    we understand the "unique" challenges to us as sahm's trying to improve our health. y'know--kids who pee in your bed, go to proms, have graduation parties....:tongue:
    so if this is a good group for you, join in the conversation anytime. we are very friendly!
  • staceyw37
    staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    trish and katiem--so don't envy you! hope everyone gets to feeling better soon.

throw up or pee in my bed would send me!!
    ((hugs)) and ~~~get well vibes~~~
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    Thanks, Stacey. KatieM, sorry to hear about your family. The gambu SUCKS.

To my runner friends: I am thinking of adding longer running workouts to my regime. Is it safer to do it in increments or all at once? I am thinking of doing an hour (I do 1/2 hr sessions now). Is it better to eek up on that hour slowly (30 mins one week, 45 the next, 60 after that and top out)? Also how much speed can I safely add each week? I want to get my 5k in 30 mins, darn it all! I can only get 2 miles right now.

Thanks for your help!
  • nicolee516
    Options
    KatieM- Idon't think I could deal wit hthe pee and vomit in my bed...mor power too you! ihope he feels better!

Trish-the rule of thumb is to increase by 10% a week. so I would do the 30 -45-60 min, a gradual is good.

Check this article out! Maybe this is what happened to Kyle when he was little.

http://www.medpagetoday.com/PublicHealthPolicy/EnvironmentalHealth/20120
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    How much would a 10% speed increase be on a TM? Is it .1 (like from a 4.5 to a 4.6) or is it bigger? Sorry, I kinda suck at math, LOL (which is funnier when you consider that experiment I tried to do a few months ago)
  • nicolee516
    Options
    Trish- not 10% speed, usually it's 10% mileage, but you talked about time...so that is what I was going with. For example, say your total mileage for the week is 10. you ran 2 miles one day, 3 another, and then your long run was 5. You would increase by 1 mile for next week. Does that make sense?
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    Yes... just wondering how to increase speed safely.
  • KatieM7
    KatieM7 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Shawna~Welcome! That is admirable that you take care of your step children! What kind of challenge are you looking for? If you are looking for something like a little friendly competition I am up for that depending on what we are talking about.

Stacey & Nicole~It did send me. Believe me I didn't do well with it! When I realized it was pee I jumped right out of bed. The hubby asked what was going on (I never move that quick in the morning). I think he was laughing at me on the inside since he had been thrown up on earlier in the morning. He just didn't dare laugh at me out loud (TOM). LOL

Trish~Thank you. I agree it does suck! Good luck with increasing your running. You can do it!

Nicole~That was an interesting article. I like getting organic foods they taste better but sometimes they are not very abundant.

The son is feeling better he is now running a muck through the house making a huge mess! The 4 year old D is not feeling good though. She actually fell asleep on our bed earlier (no pee or throw up this time lol), she never takes a nap willingly. All she has done all day is lay around. I walked to get the 5 year old D from school, 1.22 mile round trip with a massive hill to climb (we live at the base of the mountain). It felt great to walk it and even though it was tough stuff I am thinking when am I going to go again. However now the 5 year old D is not feeling well she just informed me that she hurts and that is how it started out with the other two and the hubby.
  • angmaz
    angmaz Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi ladies! I just joined and i saw your group. I am also a SAHM. My daughter (Dani) is 15 months old and I really need to get in shape to keep up with her! I saw that one of you had a P90X, do you recommend that program? My hubby wants to get it but I hate spending money before I know something is worth it! :) Thank you.
  • nicolee516
    Options
    Trish- are you running 3 days a week? if you are, pick one of your days as your speed workout day. just make sure you warm up and cool down with slow jogs. A long run is more for endurance.
  • nicolee516
    Options
    welcome ang!

KatieM- I sure hope all of the kiddos get better and that YOU don't get the gambu.
  • sassyg
    sassyg Posts: 393
    Options

Yes, ours is a support group for stay at home moms :)

And one random working-Mum :p
  • BigSouthernMama
    Options
    Another SAHM of one here, saying hello!